An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Papal Tiara

M.SIGGA

How would any of you feel if the next Pope decided to bring back the papal tiara? I was reading on a website that it was supposedly really controversal when Pope Paul VI removed his tiara and placed it on the altar at St. Peter's in Rome. I kind of like the idea of bringing it back, because I think it reinforces the idea of authority which people have become so lacking these days. But I also think it's return would probably cause a lot of controversy and rude humor from liberals and anti-Catholics. What do you all think? Please comment.

post-3-1067572592.jpg

Edited by M.SIGGA

It will never happen . . . just like no pope will ever again be "carried" into this coronation . . . (funny, coronation come from corona which is crown, lol)

I think these are good things. The Modern word needs a humble little preacher like Jesus, non a Kingly ruler like solomon . ..

cmotherofpirl

For those who don't know:Papal Tiara Question

Question from Christopher Elliott on 07-16-2002:

Although Paul VI was the last pope to wear the papal tiara, can it still be revived by a future pope if he so chooses? Or is there an offical ban on the future use of the tiara? Thank you and God Bless, Chris

Answer by Bill Bilton on 07-17-2002:

As you state, Pope Paul VI was the last pontiff to wear the papal tiara. At the end of the Second Vatican Council, Pope Paul VI descended the steps of the papal throne in St. Peter's Basilica and laid the tiara on the altar in a dramatic gesture of humility and as a sign of the renunciation of human glory and power in keeping with the renewed spirit of the Second Vatican Council. This last tiara was then given to benefit the poor, but remains as a symbol in the papal crest.

While my own research has shown there was never an official ban placed upon wearing the tiara, therefore leaving it to an individual successor to determine to wear it or not, it is difficult to imagine it being worn again. So much of the Church's regalia has been stream lined to make a more simple lifestyle, as it were.

in that picture, he almost looks like he's rolling his eyes at the tiara, like i don't need this...

just an observation :unsure:

Ya know, I don't think it would be such a bad thing.

I mean, it does symbolize power and authority. And there seems to be so much disrespect for the Authority these days, from some clergy, laity, and other "Christians." It would also be a reminder of the royal priesthood Christ established.

But, it's up to the Papa to decide.

Holy Father knows best. ;)

Pax Christi. <><

i'm so for the H2 idea B)

although he'd prolly get criticism.

also, they'd havta cut off the roof and sides and replace them with bulletproof glass, otherwise no one would get to see the Pope when he rode in.

:D :D

I don't know about the papal tiara, but I definitely think the next pope mobile should be an iced out H2 on some 20" spinners.

ssswwweeeeeettt!!!1

Ash Wednesday

Ahhh... so THAT's what that beehive-shaped hat was that the old school popes wore on their heads. I thought it was just a old fashion that went out of style. *blush*

I'm SUCH a post-Vatican II baby born in the 1970s, as I didn't even know what the papal tiara was!!! :huh:

Gosh, I don't know. There's something to be said for bringing it back, because nobody has respect for authority these days. On the other hand, would it MAKE people respect the pope? Probably not. People would probably be even more disrespectful. :(

You know, Mother Teresa was one of the greatest examples of humility in the 20th century. When I think of humility, I think of her. And it was through her humility that she gained great respect.

But I think a lot of it will probably be up to the Pope. If it was a pope that chose to take it off, then it would be a pope who could choose to put it back on. Whatever happens, God's will be done. Interesting question though!

Edited by Ash Wednesday

Catholic trivia . . .

The tiara was an important symbol of authority when Popes were crowning kings . . . There aren't many kings anymore, so the tiara seems ostentatious. The first tiara was given to the Pope by Constantine.

i think if someone already doesn't respect the pope, a papal tiara won't change that...it's a change of heart, not change in what the pope wears on his head that is needed.

besides, the popes since Paul VI have decided not to wear the tiara out of humility...that tiara was hecka expensive!!!

I don't know about the papal tiara, but I definitely think the next pope mobile should be an iced out H2 on some 20" spinners.

with some 15 inch subs bumpin phatmass CD