An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Do Nuns Wear Veils?

uruviel

My friend asked me this the other day. And whereas I had my own answers, I'm curious to see what y'all have to say about it. Simply put, why do nuns wear a veil?

VeniteAdoremus

I think the main reason is that all women used to veil their hair, and nuns simply didn't stop. It's a form of modesty.

Well aside from the fact that originally nuns wore what all the women were wearing, nuns continue to do so as a self-effacement...also as liberation from having to worry about or dress their hair, I think! ;-)

the lords sheep

The veil has evolved to be bridal symbolism- the Sister/Nun wears it to represent that she is a bride of Christ... It's interesting though, because I've been told that the bride originally began to wear a veil when she was married as a copy of the veil of the religious sisters.

A nun is consecrated to God... in the past, that which is consecrated to God has always been veiled. i.e., the Tabernacle, sacred vessels, etc.

Also, a woman's hair is considered her glory, traditionally. She veils her hair to express humility before the glory of God, whom she wishes to glorify with her being, disappearing completely in him. This is why the color of the veil has such meaning. For Poor Clares, the black veil means death, whereas the white symbolizes purity.

And it is bridal symbolism... The Habit is her wedding gown. Womanhood has a particular holiness that calls for veiling, namely that she partakes in God's creative work by bearing life, in a special way, which is primarily why brides wear a veil, and nuns simply always wear their wedding gown, because they have an eternal groom, and are preparing for an eternal wedding feast.

Edited by zunshynn

Sister Rose Therese

A few thoughts.

In general most peoples in the past had some kind of head covering. When you think that they didn't have central heat, sun screen... you can understand why. Women would have worn a veil or bonnet of some kind.

In early times, at least in the east, women did not show their hair in public once they were married. In Europe, a married woman would never wear her hair down. They may also have had limits like in the east in some places, but I don't know for sure.

Even in my grandmother's day, you did not leave the house without your hat and gloves.

Then, up until Vatican II, women would never have gone into a church without a head covering, whether that be veil or hat.

Like many things that we use or do in Church, the veil has developed symbolic meanings. The wearing of a veil does have bridal symbolism. Probably because a woman would wear a veil, after marriage. Black, possibly because a married woman or a widowed woman would wear a black veil.

Also, like a tabernacle is veiled, the veil is a sign that the one wearing it is consecrated to the Lord, set apart.

Thanks y'all :) My answers were pretty much the same, although I didn't think of the veils of the tabernacle and such relating to the veil of a nun. Most people would just say, it's modest. But I wanted a deeper reason behind the veil. A nun just wouldn't be a nun without one, but why? I think yall answered it nicely.

Btw, Saint Therese, I love your headline "Adoremus in Aeternum"... Sanctissimum Sacramentum :) It's a beatiful phrase.

[quote name='uruviel' date='21 August 2009 - 09:58 PM' timestamp='1250913486' post='1954149']
Btw, Saint Therese, I love your headline "Adoremus in Aeternum"... Sanctissimum Sacramentum :) It's a beatiful phrase.
[/quote]

IAWTC

Vincent Vega

Is it not also done in imitation of Our Lady? Or does that just tie in with the historical(ish) significance?

Saint Therese

[quote name='uruviel' date='21 August 2009 - 11:58 PM' timestamp='1250913486' post='1954149']

[/quote]

[quote name='zunshynn' date='22 August 2009 - 12:00 AM' timestamp='1250913654' post='1954150']
IAWTC
[/quote]
Thank you! Adoration is pretty much everything to me.

Edited by Saint Therese

LilyofSaintMaria

[quote name='zunshynn' date='21 August 2009 - 01:12 AM' timestamp='1250827949' post='1953644']
A nun is consecrated to God... in the past, that which is consecrated to God has always been veiled. i.e., the Tabernacle, sacred vessels, etc.

Also, a woman's hair is considered her glory, traditionally. She veils her hair to express humility before the glory of God, whom she wishes to glorify with her being, disappearing completely in him. This is why the color of the veil has such meaning. For Poor Clares, the black veil means death, whereas the white symbolizes purity.

And it is bridal symbolism... The Habit is her wedding gown. Womanhood has a particular holiness that calls for veiling, namely that she partakes in God's creative work by bearing life, in a special way, which is primarily why brides wear a veil, and nuns simply always wear their wedding gown, because they have an eternal groom, and are preparing for an eternal wedding feast.
[/quote]

Very well put, thank you!

[quote name='Saint Therese' date='22 August 2009 - 01:15 AM' timestamp='1250918105' post='1954183']
Thank you! Adoration is pretty much everything to me.
[/quote]

Ditto.

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' date='22 August 2009 - 12:33 AM' timestamp='1250915584' post='1954162']
Is it not also done in imitation of Our Lady? Or does that just tie in with the historical(ish) significance?
[/quote]

I would say it has something to do with imitation of Our Lady, but the reason that Mary veiled and is viewed in art as veiled is because of the ancient custom of women being veiled during the time in which she lived. Veiling during that time period, as someone pointed out, had very practically purposes. It helped to keep the body warm during the winter, as most of your body heat escapes through your head and feet. It also helped protect the top of the head and face from becoming sunburned. The color of the veil also had special meaning. A blue veil signified virginity and a non-blue (usually black or brown) signified that a woman was married/widowed.