An Old School Catholic Message Board

Permanent Diaconate

thicke

First off, a big thanks to dUSt for creating this board. I think it's a wonderful thing.

Over about the past the year, I have slowly but surely come to realize God is calling me to the Permanent Diaconate. Are there any deacons on Phatmass? Is there anyone else out there that is hearing this call?

Thy Geekdom Come

I had considered being a permanent deacon, but then God pushed me further.

Good luck, though!

JMJ
4/6 - Tuesday of Holy Week

My father is currently studying for the permanent diaconate in our diocese (first class in 15 years or so) and will be ordained with 25 other men in July 2005.

I think that might be a good think.

I am engaged and will be married soon. I am also going to Grad School in Theology. I really want to be a teacher.

I just joined the church and got married both last year. In 10 years or so, that may be something I am called to. Right now I am learning some much about the faith and want to serve God in however He chooses.

Lounge Daddy

[font="Courier"]Sometimes I feel called to this…
But because I feel like I am barely handling my vocation to my family (mostly time issues… I know we all feel this way at times) and because I say, “sometimes I feel called” – I will be waiting and praying.

Now, I have not looked into this too much yet… are there many different orders, like the Priesthood or Brotherhood?[/font]

follow_the_pelican

Hey, My old man is a transitional Deacon, I dont know how it works in your area's; but here in Omaha you have to be "called forth". In other words, your not allowed to "enter" a deaconate community on your own decernment. You have to be asked, called by a pastor, or mandated by some one of importance.
Like I said, I dont know how it works in your area, but If I where you, I would not neccecarily place all my money on that horse, the deacon bet.
Might take some time and check out the seminary, who know's.
Well, thats my two cets worth, take it or leave it...what ever.

[quote name='Raphael' date='Apr 6 2004, 01:53 PM'] I had considered being a permanent deacon, but then God pushed me further.

Good luck, though! [/quote]
I misread your name.... I thought it was "Rachel.... :blink:

Note to self: Read more carefully :o :D

CatholicCrusader

No one had a vocation to be a "permanent" deacon until about 30 years ago...because there was no such thing until about 30 years ago. I guess God made a new vocation after such an enlightened council straightened out all the "errors" of the Church.

(...That was a little bit sarcastic...)

God bless.

In all charity, I say to you, your sarcasm was in vain, for it was uttered in ignorance.

This is not the forum for squabbles or for petty, useless and smug comments. Consider that a warning.

ilovechrist

we have a permanent deacon at our parish (Rev. Kingsley)... it seems to be quite the awesome vocation---u sort of get to have both parts of the side... its hard for me to decide, for i would love to be able to say the Mass... but i also want to raise a large Catholic family like my parents did. who is the patron of vocations, i might ask?

follow_the_pelican

well for the record, My old man is a deacon, and it is to my knowledge that there is a vocation to the deaconate;however, there was a period that it was non-existant, but it was there in the time of the 12. Steven, the first martyr was a deacon, in fact deacons where very commen in the beggining. There where even woman who where called forth, ofcourse they where not ordained and did not assist in the holy mass, but they served a specific role in the early church which was baptising fellow woman. Becouse folks where babtised fully imersed in water @ that time and for the sake of chastity these woman where called forth to serve in this manner. the male, permenant deaconate siezed to exist shortly there after, it was not untill the second council that the need for the deaconate was addressed and mandated by holy mother church. Yes it is a vocation, just as marriage or the priesthood is, though you do not participate in the priests most vital aspects of his ministry, you are allowed to participate in a number of activitys(a humble server of sorts). you are allowed to read the gospels, bless marriages, participate in various ways during the mass and give the churches blessing. Candidates go through training and are blessed by the Bishop(pops says he lays his hands on your head, cracks your scull and pours the churches blessing in to you).
so...I hope that clears some stuff up !!!

good luck to yall in your search for truth

Actually, the permanent Diaconate existed for hundreds of years. Many were even awarded the Red Biretta. Cardinal Poole comes to mind.

Really, and truly, C.Crusader if you're going to bash the Council, you might want to check your facts first.

peace...