An Old School Catholic Message Board

Discalced Carmelite Nuns Of Denmark, Wi

Laudem Gloriae

Indwelling Trinity

I think this community migrated from Mexico during the persecutions and wound up originally in Grand Rapids. They must have had a new monastery built but i know they come from the Spanish Carmels

Tenderly

Indwelling Trinity

I am a good friend of the Discalced Carmelite Nuns in Denmark. They are a foundation from the Iron Mountain Carmelites, if I'm not mistaken. I am a seminarian for the diocese they are in and I a very good friend of mine is discerning with them. I can't wait to get back their on Thanksgiving and Christmas Break. Looking forward to Midnight Mass.

Essentially, their website is simply a booklet they had printed about their Carmel... except the booklet is now their website.

Let me know if you have any more questions about them.

Edited by the_rev

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

I think someone posted the website some time ago, but it is pretty new. I remember the three tents and the beautiful windows.

Indwelling Trinity

[quote name='the_rev' date='02 November 2009 - 06:54 PM' timestamp='1257198868' post='1995405']
I am a good friend of the Discalced Carmelite Nuns in Denmark. They are a foundation from the Iron Mountain Carmelites, if I'm not mistaken. I am a seminarian for the diocese they are in and I a very good friend of mine is discerning with them. I can't wait to get back their on Thanksgiving and Christmas Break. Looking forward to Midnight Mass.

Essentially, their website is simply a booklet they had printed about their Carmel... except the booklet is now their website.

Let me know if you have any more questions about them.
[/quote]

Thanks for clarifying this. I know that originally they came from Mexico, maybe to Iron Mountain first I am pretty sure at that time they settled in the diocese of Grand Rapids. I know Iron Mountain is an excellent monastery.

Indwelling Trinity

Edited by Indwelling Trinity

[quote name='Indwelling Trinity' date='02 November 2009 - 09:03 PM' timestamp='1257210218' post='1995481']
Thanks for clarifying this. I know that originally they came from Mexico, maybe to Iron Mountain first I am pretty sure at that time they settled in the diocese of Grand Rapids. I know Iron Mountain is an excellent monastery.

Indwelling Trinity
[/quote]

Wow...how gorgeous!

Laudem Gloriae

Actually, Denmark Carmel is a foundation from the Carmel in Ada Parnell, MI (formerly Grand Rapids) http://www.carmelitenuns.org/ which is under the 1991's .. Denmark is also under the 1991's.

http://picasaweb.google.com/ocdnuns/CarmelOfOurLadyOfGuadalupeAdaParnellMI#

They definitely didn't come from Iron Mountain which is under the 1990's. Iron Mt. has never made a foundation. This link also has the other foundations from Grand Rapids, and the years they were founded .. http://picasaweb.google.com/ocdnuns/UnitedStatesFoundations17901990#5056127129499131538

Indwelling Trinity

[quote name='Laudem Gloriae' date='04 November 2009 - 10:39 PM' timestamp='1257385157' post='1996341']
Actually, Denmark Carmel is a foundation from the Carmel in Ada Parnell, MI (formerly Grand Rapids) http://www.carmelitenuns.org/ which is under the 1991's .. Denmark is also under the 1991's.

They definitely didn't come from Iron Mountain which is under the 1990's. Iron Mt. has never made a foundation. This link also has the other foundations from Grand Rapids, and the years they were founded .. http://picasaweb.google.com/ocdnuns/UnitedStatesFoundations17901990#5056127129499131538
[/quote]

Dear Ludem Gloria:

Thank you for the correction about Iron Mountain. Still it seems they originated from Mexico and grew out of Grand Rapids,including Iron Mountain. Or am I still Mistaken?

Indwelling Trinity

[quote name='Laudem Gloriae' date='04 November 2009 - 08:39 PM' timestamp='1257385157' post='1996341']

[/quote]

Thanks for the clarification. I think I knew why I was thinking of Iron Mountain. One of the nuns at Denmark originally entered Iron Mountain but felt that she had a calling to the way of life of the Denmark Carmel. An interesting thing to also note, is that the nuns haven't always had this beautiful monastery. When Bishop Banks first invited them to the Diocese, they were living in cloister at a Marian Shrine where in 1859 it is believed the Blessed Virgin Mary appeared. Below is the story:

[quote]Bishop blesses Carmelites' new monastery
After 10 years at Robinsonville, nuns move to Denmark area

The Carmelites are the only cloistered community in the diocese. Their Holy Rule states" "Whatsoever you do, let it be done in the name of the Lord."

Abp. Adam Maida of Detroit, former Bishop of the Green Bay Diocese, invited the Carmelites, from Grand Rapids, to the diocese in 1989. Bp. Banks followed through on the invitation in 1992.

On Sunday, Bp. Robert Banks dedicated the new Monastery of the Holy Name of Jesus, anointing the altar and blessing the entire monastery before a final prayer of enclosure. Friends of the Carmelites, family members and clergy were invited to the dedication.

The Discalced Carmelite Nuns, who will celebrate 10 years in the Diocese of Green Bay in May, moved to the new monastery, located one mile east of Denmark (approximately 20 miles southeast of Green Bay), on Ash Wednesday. They previously resided at the Carmel of the Holy Name of Jesus, New Franken (The Chapel at Robinsonville).

In 1995, Pope John Paul wrote, "Even in the simplicity of their life, cloistered communities set like cities on a hilltop or lights on a lamp stand, visibly represent the goal toward which the entire community of the Church travels. Eager to act and yet devoted to contemplation."

The new residence of the Carmelite Sisters, located on a hilltop, mirrors the Pope's comments. When traveling on County KB in route to the new monastery, three pillars are first visible. The pillars symbolize the three tents from the Transfiguration of the Lord.

The chapel in the monastery, which seats 112, is called the Church of the Transfiguration and features three stained glass windows devoted to the Transfiguration. The windows, made in Italy, were designed by Fr. Richard Canulli, OSA, director of the Villanova Art Gallery in Pennsylvania. Fr. Canulli will also design windows to be installed in the Nun's Choir adjacent to the chapel. All the stained glass windows in the monastery are designed to teach in addition to having visual appeal.

The altar, made in Spain, is located in the center of the church with seating on both sides. The church faces east as a symbol of times past when all churches were built to face the sun rising in the east. The church is the center of the monastery with everything flowing from the sanctuary.

Carmelite monasteries do not have a traditional design. All are different. The two-story Holy Name of Jesus Monastery features European architecture, brick and limestone construction and Spanish tile roofing. Its three bells were made in France. The monastery is built to last 300 years. Funds to build the monastery were donated by Friends of the Carmelites and through donations from the St. Therese of Lisieux reliquary visit in 1999.

While their location has changed, the lives of the Carmelite Sisters continue to be devoted to silence, prayer and simple living. They take vows of poverty, chastity and obedience and live a life of perpetual abstinence, eating no meat, and only leave the monastery for medical or business purposes. The sisters are permitted to visit their families through a grille-work.

The Carmelites welcome requests for prayers and information about their life of prayer. Write to: Carmelite Monastery of Holy Name of Jesus, 6100 Pepper Road, Denmark, WI 54208.

Mass will be celebrated in the Church of the Transfiguration daily at 7 a.m. The chapel will be open to visitors from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day. Postcards and information about the monastery will soon be available for visitors.

[/quote]

[url="http://www.thecompassnews.org/compass/2002-03-22/02cn0322l2.htm"]Source[/url]

Edited by the_rev

Indwelling Trinity

[quote name='Hilde' date='05 November 2009 - 07:58 PM' timestamp='1257465514' post='1996824']
wow, at first I thought these were nearby :P
[/quote]

Dear Hilde:

I know that this is off topic but every time I see your warrior bunny I think of the rule of Saint Albert telling us to be clothed with the weapons of salvation. It give me such a belly chuckle! Almost like the Jackelopes when I Lived in South Dakota.

Thanks for the laugh. :rolling:

Hugs,

Indwelling Trinity

+Praised be Jesus Christ!

This is a beautiful, beautiful community. Thank you for posting their website. May they be graced by many true and holy vocations.

Pax!

TradMom

• 2 weeks later...

I am wondering if the email address on their website holynamecarmel@catholic.org is correct or if they are using a different address? I ask because I sent them an email but then came across another address for them on a different site and started to wonder if I got the right one.

[quote name='vee8' date='19 November 2009 - 01:45 AM' timestamp='1258613154' post='2005506']
I am wondering if the email address on their website holynamecarmel@catholic.org is correct or if they are using a different address? I ask because I sent them an email but then came across another address for them on a different site and started to wonder if I got the right one.
[/quote]

I sent you a private message about it. But, to make it public, yes, the holynamecarmel@catholic.org is the preferred email address of Mother Mary Elizabeth.