An Old School Catholic Message Board

Any Nice Convents To Visit In The Nj, Md, Dc Area?

four_waters

Hello all,
Peace be with you.

I will be taking a trip next week from Connecticut to DC, and was wondering if you would recommend visiting any Convents (or Shrines) on the way.

Thank you in advance for any recommendations.

I haven't been to any myself, but I've heard very good things about the Francisan Monastery of the Holy Land in DC.

Also, there are PCPA in DC, I believe right down the street from the Holy Land Shrine. There are only six or seven sisters, I believe, so I don't know what hours they have adoration, but I'm pretty sure their chapel is open during the day.

I know there are quite a few others... I'll try to remember them for you.

I would suggest you visit Emmitsburg Maryland--the National Shrine of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton. It is adjacent to the Daughters of Charity Provincial House in Emmitsburg.

[quote name='stlmom' date='06 November 2009 - 11:25 PM' timestamp='1257564333' post='1997522']
I would suggest you visit Emmitsburg Maryland--the National Shrine of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton. It is adjacent to the Daughters of Charity Provincial House in Emmitsburg.
[/quote]

Good heavens, you'll have lots of great places to visit. First off, if you're ending in DC, you must, must, must go to the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, in Norther, DC (right on the campus from Catholic University of America). While you're there you will be in a hotbed that used to be called "Little Rome." Across from the Basilica is the Dominican House of Studies (their nightly liturgy is really wonderful), then just around the corner (Harewood Drive) you'll find the John Paul II Cultural Center, the Little Sisters of the Poor. The Franciscan Monastery Zunsyhnn mentioned is about a mile away and very lovely to visit, and the PCPA's are a mile in the other direction. Also in DC: St. Matthew's Church where JFK's funeral was. There is also a Basilica in Baltimore. Have fun!

Thank you for the suggestions thus far. I am printing out the directions and mass schedules for the communities you all have suggested, and will be sure to make at least a quick visit to the Blessed Sacrament in each location (my final destination is actually the John Paul II Cultural Center and the National Shrine of Divine Mercy, so I will be very close in proximity).

laetitia crucis

[quote name='DameAgnes' date='07 November 2009 - 12:31 AM' timestamp='1257568265' post='1997566']
Good heavens, you'll have lots of great places to visit. First off, if you're ending in DC, you must, must, must go to the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, in Norther, DC (right on the campus from Catholic University of America). While you're there you will be in a hotbed that used to be called "Little Rome." Across from the Basilica is the Dominican House of Studies (their nightly liturgy is really wonderful), then just around the corner (Harewood Drive) you'll find the John Paul II Cultural Center, the Little Sisters of the Poor. The Franciscan Monastery Zunsyhnn mentioned is about a mile away and very lovely to visit, and the PCPA's are a mile in the other direction. Also in DC: St. Matthew's Church where JFK's funeral was. There is also a Basilica in Baltimore. Have fun!
[/quote]

I second Dame Agnes. :twothumbsup:

The National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception is quite possibly my favorite church in this hemisphere. And please be sure to check out the crypt, too -- the [b]entire[/b] crypt! There's [i]tons[/i] of chapels besides the main crypt church. (Including a gorgeous Byzantine chapel!) Spend a good few hours there if time permits. Ah... :love:

The Basilica in Baltimore.. eh.. not too fond of that one. But if you like a true "colonial" style, then that could very well be your cup of tea. :)

The Franciscan Monastery of the Holy Land is AMAZING! It's probably the closest I've ever come to the real Holy Land. The chapels inside are supposed to be dead-on replicas of the actual shrines in the Holy Land. Beautiful!

Ah, and if you're passing by Griswold, CT, the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate have a Marian House (friary) there, too -- patroness is Our Lady of Guadalupe. It's also quite beautiful! And I believe there's perpetual Adoration. Very nice. :)

Besides being next-door neighbors to the JP II Cultural Center in D.C., you have Little Sisters of the Poor in the Btonx (right beside the Sisters of Life), Queens Village (Novitiate and Home), Philly, Wilmington, and Baltimore. There is also the Philadelphia Carmel, close to the Central Shrine of the Miraculous Medal, the Shrine of St. Katharine Drexel right on Rt. 95, the Shrine of St. John Neumann, and the gorgeous Ukrainian Rite Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception. Happpy Traveling - you may need a week either way to fit it all in!

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='07 November 2009 - 06:46 AM' timestamp='1257601601' post='1997690']
The National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception is quite possibly my favorite church in this hemisphere. And please be sure to check out the crypt, too -- the [b]entire[/b] crypt! There's [i]tons[/i] of chapels besides the main crypt church. (Including a gorgeous Byzantine chapel!) Spend a good few hours there if time permits. Ah... :love:
[/quote]

I liked the Crypt even more than the main church!

[quote name='zunshynn' date='07 November 2009 - 09:51 PM' timestamp='1257645113' post='1997972']
I liked the Crypt even more than the main church!
[/quote]

Me too !

There's also the Cathedral of Mary Our Queen (although it isn't too fancy on the inside - lots of gray concrete). There's also a Carmelite convent in Port Tobacco, Maryland.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='Jennifer G.' date='08 November 2009 - 08:11 PM' timestamp='1257725468' post='1998488']
There's also the Cathedral of Mary Our Queen (although it isn't too fancy on the inside - lots of gray concrete). There's also a Carmelite convent in Port Tobacco, Maryland.
[/quote]

We just visited the Carmelite's in Port Tobacco on Saturday!!! We even had an audience with the Mother Superior there!!

As for places to visit... I can second the St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Shrine in Emmitsburg, MD. While you're in Emmitsburg, you can pop up to the National Shrine of Our Lady of Lourdes which is right above Mount St. Mary's University and Seminary. It's absolutely beautiful!! There are no daily Masses during the week at the Grotto (only Sat. and Sun. @ noon) because they are currently in search of a new chaplain. But there is a noon Mass each day at the college campus.

philosophette

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='07 November 2009 - 12:38 AM' timestamp='1257568728' post='1997572']
The Marian Shrine in Stony Point, NY (Rockland County) is pretty.
[/quote]

hey! That is Salesian! :)

I want to thank you all for your recommendations. It was because of your tip that I was able to arrange to stay with the Little Sisters of the Poor, right next to where my destination was (the North American Congress of Mercy was held at the JPII Cultural Center and National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception). The sisters were very kind and generous. I also received the additional honor of sitting in on a special mass for the entrance of 5 young girls to the postulancy.

The other places I visited were very nice. The monastery of the Holy Land is indeed quite ornate and beautiful. In additional to everything else, I also stumbled upon a tiny convent of the Poor Clares, tucked away on a back road near the monastery. I don't know why, but I found the simplicity of the Poor Clare chapel to be more personal than the more touristy attractions.

Edited by four_waters