An Old School Catholic Message Board

Good Movies With A Vocation Message

the_rev

So, I'm looking at building up a library of movies that have a good message for vocations. Not necessarily like vocation promotion movies, but just Catholic movies that have an element of vocation.

I have a few, but wondering if you all could help me come up with more:

1. Bells of St. Mary's
2. Song of Bernadette
3. Shoes of the Fisherman
4. Completely Christ's - The Radical Call of the Consecrated Life
(please continue the list)

Edited by the_rev

laetitia crucis

[quote name='the_rev' date='09 November 2009 - 03:13 PM' timestamp='1257793981' post='1998915']
So, I'm looking at building up a library of movies that have a good message for vocations. Not necessarily like vocation promotion movies, but just Catholic movies that have an element of vocation.

I have a few, but wondering if you all could help me come up with more:

1. Bells of St. Mary's
2. Song of Bernadette
(please continue the list)
[/quote]

I would suppose many "lives of the Saints" movies would work, too... like:

5. Karol: the Man Who Became Pope
6. Mother Teresa (I've only seen the one with Olivia Hussey)
7. Padre Pio: Miracle Man (Italian w/English subtitles)
8. Don Bosco: Mission of Love (I think that's what it's called...? Italian w/English subtitles)
9. St. Anthony of Padua (this isn't one of my favorites, but still "o.k." I think. Wish it were a little more true-to-life, though. Italian w/English subtitles)
10. Francis and Clare (Italian made w/English subtitles or dubbing)
11. Faustina (Polish w/English subtitles)
12. St. Francis of Assisi (also Italian made)

Hmmm... I guess I like those Italian saint movies... :whistle: :lol:

And, not a "life of a saint", but still my favorite movie:

13. Keys of the Kingdom

I think most (if not all) of those are available from Ignatius Press.

:popcorn: Makes me wish I had these movies to watch. :twothumbsup:

* Edited to add movies.

Edited by laetitia crucis

14. The Trouble with Angels. The entire movie is on youtube btw.

Some people may suggest The Nun`s Story however as a woman discerning a vocation I thought it was terrible!

Edited by vee8

laetitia crucis

[quote name='vee8' date='09 November 2009 - 07:17 PM' timestamp='1257808629' post='1999155']
14. The Trouble with Angels. The entire movie is on youtube btw.

Some people may suggest The Nun`s Story however as a woman discerning a vocation I thought it was terrible!
[/quote]

Ooh -- I second "The Trouble with Angels"! I thought that was a great movie!

I've never seen "The Nun's Story", but have heard it's not so good.

I really enjoyed watching Teresa of the Andes. It's all in espanol with subtitles, but it was a great mini-series of an equally wonderful Chilean saint.

THere is one....I have to think of it. It is a book too. It describes the vocations of the nuns in a cloister and the obstacles they go through with their vocations.

The book is "In this House of Brede." By Rumer Godden
The movie is the same as the book title.

I just bought Teresa of Avila... another movie with subtitles.

Oh and I have the Therese of Lisieux movie. All are great vocational movies!

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='HisChild' date='09 November 2009 - 09:47 PM' timestamp='1257817648' post='1999250']
I really enjoyed watching Teresa of the Andes. It's all in espanol with subtitles, but it was a great mini-series of an equally wonderful Chilean saint.
[/quote]

Yes. Second! My favorite.

The same people who did that movie also did one on Fr. (St.) Alberto Hurtado. Really good too and better for a guy who is discerning the priesthood/religious life. Fr. Hurtado was a Jesuit priest and Chile's second saint.

I will gently disagree concerning The Nun's Story - I think it can show someone discerning the beauty of religious life, even through the hardships. It was a time when a little more humanness and charity could have been introduced in some communities, as it became more about following the rules as a way to live "All for Jesus". Nevertheless, the movie showed many very happy Sisters which made it even more apparent how Sr Luke was different/didn't fit. Sr. Luke may not have had a vocation - or if she did, she was too rigid with herself - which can be an excellent lesson to all discerning religious life of any form. Be gentle, let God be our guide and learn to rest in His loving arms...it is a journey and every journey has joys and sorrows - the end result doesn't really matter much as long as it leads us closer to our Beloved.

Lots of great movies listed here - many of my favorites. Nice to see Keys of the Kingdom included.

Edited by Two Hearts

Thomist-in-Training

1. Bells of St. Mary's
2. Song of Bernadette
5. Karol: the Man Who Became Pope
6. Mother Teresa (I've only seen the one with Olivia Hussey)
7. Padre Pio: Miracle Man (Italian w/English subtitles)
8. Don Bosco: Mission of Love (I think that's what it's called...? Italian w/English subtitles)
9. St. Anthony of Padua (this isn't one of my favorites, but still "o.k." I think. Wish it were a little more true-to-life, though. Italian w/English subtitles)
10. Francis and Clare (Italian made w/English subtitles or dubbing)
11. Faustina (Polish w/English subtitles)
12. St. Francis of Assisi (also Italian made)
13. Keys of the Kingdom
14. The Trouble with Angels.
15. Teresa of the Andes.
16. Teresa of Avila.
17. In This House of Brede
18. Movie about Fr. (St.) Alberto Hurtado.
{19. The Nun's Story. I haven't seen this, but I read that one Catholic family used to watch it with their kids and every now and then pause and discuss how Sr. Luke was showing she didn't have the right attitude to religious life.}

20. [url="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039437/"]Green Dolphin Street[/url] This is a great, little-known movie. I just read the novel, which is great too.
21. I know it's not very long, but [url="http://www.catholic.org/video/?v=1164&cb300=vocations"]the investiture of Sr. Mary Agnes[/url]makes me cry every time. :sadder: :love: (Actually, I decided to watch it again--and I cried!)

dominicansoul

The Sound of Music...
it shows us the beauty of a vocation, both in religious life and marriage...and ultimately doing God's will, no matter what you think your life is supposed to be...

I just received my Teresa of Avila movie. And I forgot to mention that I also have two movies on St. Pio. They're like ice cold water on a hot day. Except for the soul instead of for the body.

22. the Sound of Music (as said before)
23. Lilies of the Field :) I read the book a month ago & it's beautiful! I like how it comes from the perspective of an African-American whose Baptist.

Maria Faustina

24. Fishers of Men -best Vocation Movie ever!!! its on youtube and isn't that long, so i loveeeee rewatching that movie-it never gets old or meaningless!

MC IMaGiNaZUN

I didnt really go for Song of Bernadette. After reading a book about her by Rene Laurentin, I could not settle for a dainty and ditzy Bernadette, it did not work for me. There is one on Ignatius Press simply called Bernadette. Also a sequel called the Passion of Bernadette. I love Bernadette, um yeah!