An Old School Catholic Message Board

My Tea Kettle Melted. Srsly.

zunshynn

So it's cold, so I had this brilliant idea that I'd make some tea!

So I head over to the kitchen and start looking for the tea kettle, and I guess my mom got this funky, fancy new tea kettle. It's all black on the outside... kinda like that rubber stuff you can bake in you know? So it seemed a little funky, but it was obviously a tea kettle, so I get some black current tea and start brewing. And then I start to smell burning rubber.

:o

Sure enough... the bottom of the tea kettle was melting. Does this make sense to anyone else? Doesn't it kind of defeat it's purpose of existence for a tea kettle, no matter how fancy it is, to melt when you're making tea in it?

I should have asked how to use it before I used it.

But you shouldn't have to ask how to use a tea kettle! It's not supposed to be rocket science!

I'm probably going to have to buy her another one now. But what I don't get is why my mom had this ridiculous type of tea kettle in the first place.

missionseeker

[quote name='zunshynn' date='20 November 2009 - 06:32 PM' timestamp='1258759947' post='2006555']
"I looked for one that would grieve together with me, but there was none: and for one that would comfort me, and I found none."

:sadder:
[/quote]

Thanks. Now I will have "They Rebuke" and "Behold and See" - tenor arias from the Messiah- stuck in my head for the rest of the week.

Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSvbycRDeWE&feature=related

txdinghysailor

[quote name='zunshynn' date='20 November 2009 - 06:08 PM' timestamp='1258754887' post='2006476']
So it's cold, so I had this brilliant idea that I'd make some tea!

So I head over to the kitchen and start looking for the tea kettle, and I guess my mom got this funky, fancy new tea kettle. It's all black on the outside... kinda like that rubber stuff you can bake in you know? So it seemed a little funky, but it was obviously a tea kettle, so I get some black current tea and start brewing. And then I start to smell burning rubber.

:o

Sure enough... the bottom of the tea kettle was melting. Does this make sense to anyone else? Doesn't it kind of defeat it's purpose of existence for a tea kettle, no matter how fancy it is, to melt when you're making tea in it?

I should have asked how to use it before I used it.

But you shouldn't have to ask how to use a tea kettle! It's not supposed to be rocket science!

I'm probably going to have to buy her another one now. But what I don't get is why my mom had this ridiculous type of tea kettle in the first place.
[/quote]

I'm so sorry for your loss. You have my most sincere condolences. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your mother, and for the repose of teh soul of the weird tea kettle.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='T-Bone _' date='20 November 2009 - 08:15 PM' timestamp='1258762502' post='2006578']
You were supposed to boil the water in something else, then pour the boiling water into the rubber bottomed kettle.
[/quote]

Yep.

There's a difference between teapot and tea kettle. A teapot is for making the tea; a tea kettle is for boiling water before you pour it into your teapot. Rubbery surfaces should never touch the burner.

Silicone bakeware always has the disclaimer to never use it under the broiler, on a hotplate, directly on the burner, or over an open flame (as with gas stove tops).

:mellow:

[quote name='MIkolbe' date='20 November 2009 - 04:40 PM' timestamp='1258760419' post='2006558']
emo much?
[/quote]

I grew out of that. Even when I was emo-ish though I was really only emo-ish.

[quote name='missionseeker' date='20 November 2009 - 05:05 PM' timestamp='1258761947' post='2006572']
Thanks. Now I will have "They Rebuke" and "Behold and See" - tenor arias from the Messiah- stuck in my head for the rest of the week.

Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSvbycRDeWE&feature=related
[/quote]

You're welcome. ^_^ I'm partial to Victoria's O Vos Omnes and Caligaverunt myself though.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85XUFpdgUac[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42AJol3EnpM[/media]

:woot:

Sad side note though... You know what the first thing to come up when I searched for O Vos Omnes was? This creepy video of the piece set to a slideshow from Brokeback Mountain. :ohno:

[quote name='MIkolbe' date='20 November 2009 - 05:23 PM' timestamp='1258763036' post='2006583']
she's slower than molasses on a cold day...
[/quote]

But remember, you agreed that that was merely because of the tremendous wisdom that takes me a long time to get through. And that it is most definitely worth waiting for.

[quote name='txdinghysailor' date='20 November 2009 - 05:33 PM' timestamp='1258763605' post='2006588']
I'm so sorry for your loss. You have my most sincere condolences. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your mother, and for the repose of teh soul of the weird tea kettle.
[/quote]

Thank you. :weep:

[quote]You were supposed to boil the water in something else, then pour the boiling water into the rubber bottomed kettle.[/quote]

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' date='20 November 2009 - 05:39 PM' timestamp='1258763952' post='2006590']
Yep.

There's a difference between teapot and tea kettle. A teapot is for making the tea; a tea kettle is for boiling water before you pour it into your teapot. Rubbery surfaces should never touch the burner.

Silicone bakeware always has the disclaimer to never use it under the broiler, on a hotplate, directly on the burner, or over an open flame (as with gas stove tops).

:mellow:
[/quote]

But what's the point of that!? It should say something on the outside!

Edited by zunshynn

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='zunshynn' date='20 November 2009 - 10:21 PM' timestamp='1258770081' post='2006636']

But what's the point of that!? It should say something on the outside!
[/quote]

It's pretty much common knowledge.

ChildoftheCreator

Yes, I have had that happen twice before. :ohno: Twas with a teakettle though, and it had no more water. No one told me that I have to take it off the heat when there's no water in the kettle. The second time was just to verify my hypothesis.