An Old School Catholic Message Board

"the Nun"?

Maria Faustina

Maria Faustina

Hey all,

I just recently watched the movie "The Nun" and I really liked it, but I was wondering if most of the practices were actually accurate to real life religious life. Great movie though- I really recommend it! :) Thanks!

In Christ,
Maria Faustina

Uh, well, which 'The Nun' are you talking about? There are several from various countries. The only movie that's in any way authentic is The Nun's Story with Audrey Hepburn. While Audrey's character Sr Luke doesn't remain in religious life, the director actually sent all the actresses to convents to learn about the life of nuns so they could portray them more accurately.

You don't mean 'The Nun' as in the 2006 horror flick where she tortures girls in a boarding school, do you? :unsure:

Indwelling Trinity

[quote name='HisChild' date='22 November 2009 - 06:53 PM' timestamp='1258930414' post='2007483']
Uh, well, which 'The Nun' are you talking about? There are several from various countries. The only movie that's in any way authentic is The Nun's Story with Audrey Hepburn. While Audrey's character Sr Luke doesn't remain in religious life, the director actually sent all the actresses to convents to learn about the life of nuns so they could portray them more accurately.

You don't mean 'The Nun' as in the 2006 horror flick where she tortures girls in a boarding school, do you? :unsure:
[/quote]

Laughing His child.... I looked up "The Nun and found the same thing about a nun who tortures her students..Oyyyy! :ohno:

But there looks to be a new one out called "The Portuguese Nun" and it looks as if it might be more edifying and inspirational. Laughing ...I hope that is the one being referred too. :saint:

Actually The Nuns Story had many accurate things but sadly it left out the joy of religious life. :sadder:

Tenderly,

Indwelling Trinity

Edited by Indwelling Trinity

:topsy:

[quote name='Indwelling Trinity' date='22 November 2009 - 05:32 PM' timestamp='1258936378' post='2007577']
Laughing His child.... I looked up the nun and found the same thing about a nun who tortures her students..Oyyyy!

But the looks to be a new one out called the portuguese nun and it looks as if it might be more edifying and inspirational. Laughing I hope that is the one being referred too. Actually the nuns story had many accurate things but sadly it left out the joy.

Tenderly,

Indwelling Trinity
[/quote]

LOL Will ya lookit that!?

It came out 11/11. I wonder if it's in the theatres? I can't seem to find it on any of the video rental sites. Edited by HisChild

Maria Faustina

[quote name='HisChild' date='22 November 2009 - 06:53 PM' timestamp='1258930414' post='2007483']

[/quote]

Hahhahaha ohh nooo! I guess I meant the "Nun's Story" with Audrey Hepburn. Wow lol I didn't know there was a horror movie called "The Nun" lol. Sorry for the mix-up!!!

:-D Then I would agree with Indwelling Trinity. It didn't show much about the joy within a community. They should have added a few scenes of recreation with the sisters to make it a more well rounded picture. But you know, as long as we're talking about religious life and The Nun's Story... I started thinking about religious life after I saw that movie back in the late 80s. So while it didn't show a lot of joy, it still bears some fruit, eh?

Even if I never become a sister, it started me down a road of being a postulant and visiting communities... and now I have a much greater appreciation of sacrifice and nuns.

Maria Faustina

[quote name='HisChild' date='22 November 2009 - 10:23 PM' timestamp='1258943018' post='2007645']
:-D Then I would agree with Indwelling Trinity. It didn't show much about the joy within a community. They should have added a few scenes of recreation with the sisters to make it a more well rounded picture. But you know, as long as we're talking about religious life and The Nun's Story... I started thinking about religious life after I saw that movie back in the late 80s. So while it didn't show a lot of joy, it still bears some fruit, eh?

Even if I never become a sister, it started me down a road of being a postulant and visiting communities... and now I have a much greater appreciation of sacrifice and nuns.
[/quote]

Yeah I would have to agree with that. It seemed like so few of the nuns were actually joyful about being together and striving for a common goal. I really liked being able to see a lot of the practices, like the book in which Sister Luke wrote her faults and the lessons the sisters received in the novitiate. I absolutely loved the movie but I really wish Sister Luke did not leave her community, but it was inevitably going to happen, as anyone could see that coming in the plot.

This a weird thing to like about the movie, but I really liked the one scene where Sister Luke tells her second superior in Belgium about Mother asking her to fail the exams, then the superior tells Sister Luke that was a wrong request to make. It was just so real life and I actually don't know why else I like it lol...

Indwelling Trinity

[quote name='HisChild' date='22 November 2009 - 08:35 PM' timestamp='1258936551' post='2007580']
:topsy:

LOL Will ya lookit that!?

It came out 11/11. I wonder if it's in the theatres? I can't seem to find it on any of the video rental sites.
[/quote]

Net flix has it.

hugs,
Indwelling Trinity

[quote name='Indwelling Trinity' date='22 November 2009 - 08:02 PM' timestamp='1258945336' post='2007692']
Net flix has it.

hugs,
Indwelling Trinity
[/quote]

It says 'save' when I go to it (instead of add to queue)... and says" This movie has not been released on DVD. Future availability is not guaranteed."

So I think it's in their database, but not available yet. Something to think about later. I don't have any of those online movie services, so hopefully when it comes out, it'll be here locally in the stores.

[quote name='Maria Faustina' date='22 November 2009 - 07:42 PM' timestamp='1258944138' post='2007663']
Yeah I would have to agree with that. It seemed like so few of the nuns were actually joyful about being together and striving for a common goal. I really liked being able to see a lot of the practices, like the book in which Sister Luke wrote her faults and the lessons the sisters received in the novitiate. I absolutely loved the movie but I really wish Sister Luke did not leave her community, but it was inevitably going to happen, as anyone could see that coming in the plot.

This a weird thing to like about the movie, but I really liked the one scene where Sister Luke tells her second superior in Belgium about Mother asking her to fail the exams, then the superior tells Sister Luke that was a wrong request to make. It was just so real life and I actually don't know why else I like it lol...
[/quote]

Different superiors will do different things all in the name of holy obedience. Indwelling Trinity and I were just talking about that very topic this weekend! LOL

I didn't like that they were so wrapped up in the letter of their law (silence) that they couldn't be charitable to their neighbor (the native Africans and the doctor or even the novice who was leaving). There are times when breaking their rule is appropriate and even something for which the sister is duty bound. At least in my opinion. I could be on my own little island on that one, but I really think, especially when a fellow human is in need, one can be charitable above all else.

Indwelling Trinity

[quote name='HisChild' date='22 November 2009 - 11:21 PM' timestamp='1258946471' post='2007705']
Different superiors will do different things all in the name of holy obedience. Indwelling Trinity and I were just talking about that very topic this weekend! LOL

I didn't like that they were so wrapped up in the letter of their law (silence) that they couldn't be charitable to their neighbor (the native Africans and the doctor or even the novice who was leaving). There are times when breaking their rule is appropriate and even something for which the sister is duty bound. At least in my opinion. I could be on my own little island on that one, but I really think, especially when a fellow human is in need, one can be charitable above all else.
[/quote]

I agree with His Child... In the end only Love remains.

Indwelling Trinity

In anyone`s experience have they come across a community that still has the book of faults, no mirrors, and no thinking or talking about your past?

Yes to the no mirrors. I was told that chapter was after one becomes a novice. Considering that I was a postulant... so I don't know what happened there. :D

AccountDeleted

[quote name='vee8' date='24 November 2009 - 01:15 PM' timestamp='1259028948' post='2008301']
In anyone`s experience have they come across a community that still has the book of faults, no mirrors, and no thinking or talking about your past?
[/quote]

Some Carmelite communities still have the Chapter of Faults, although as a Postulant and Novice - this is usually just saying culpes to the Novice Mistress once a week. Carmelites do not have mirrors (at least those that I was with). Individual communities have different rules about conversation in recreation, but some of the guidelines were not to talk about food likes and dislikes (in case you were trying to influence the cook to make what you like :rolleyes: ), or dreams or health problems, or things in your past life that could make you seem more important in the eyes of others, like what jobs you worked at etc. The point was to try to engage your sister in conversation about things of interest to her, and not to talk about yourself. Sometimes the competition to please the other person made me want to laugh because everyone was trying to out-charity each other - all very sweet. I would ask another sister to tell me about someplace she had visited, and she would say "Oh let's not talk about me, what would you like to talk about?" It took a little getting used to - especially since I often get excited and butt in with questions instead of just letting the other person finish their thought. I learned a lot in recreation. And yes, we laughed a lot! I don't know if it was because we didn't talk all day long or if just everything starts to seem funny - but there is a lot of joy in a convent.

Yes to the no mirrors! I had to go to the guest room to practice conducting for my music degree. It drove the other sisters crazy, too. They kept seeing me go in and out of the guest room, which usually only happens when a sister is preparing the room for her family to come visit. They kept wondering when my family was coming, and why (since it wasn't time for my renewal of vows or anything.) We weren't allowed to ask questions, either.