An Old School Catholic Message Board

Under The Islamic Veil: Faces Disfigured By Acid

HisChildForever

I see I missed some fun while at dinner. I don't have enough + or - to fix this. It looks like someone has been at the thread with a paint gun.

As to the OP, if that's okay with everyone, the thought that came up first, is that the one redeeming value of the burka, is giving them a way to be in society without constantly feeling like everyone is staring at their scars.

[quote name='fidei defensor' date='24 November 2009 - 06:11 PM' timestamp='1259111496' post='2008865']
It doesn't. So what? If a mod has a problem with it, they can delete the posts, ban me, do whatever. I'm not the only one to post off topic and I'm not the only hypocrite. At least I'll admit it.
[/quote]
Fidei, you seem to be in a disagreeable mood today. :) Many posts - including this one - have been off topic, but some of the posts have not only been off topic . . . they have also been rude.

HisChildForever

[quote name='CatherineM' date='24 November 2009 - 08:13 PM' timestamp='1259111595' post='2008870']
As to the OP, if that's okay with everyone, the thought that came up first, is that the one redeeming value of the burka, is giving them a way to be in society without constantly feeling like everyone is staring at their scars.
[/quote]

This is very true, Catherine. However, as the burka is a representation of Islam, they are constantly reminded of their demons.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='24 November 2009 - 07:14 PM' timestamp='1259111689' post='2008872']
Fidei, you seem to be in a disagreeable mood today. :) Many posts - including this one - have been off topic, but some of the posts have not only been off topic . . . they have also been rude.
[/quote]
Yes I am. Sorry. I'm running away from the internet now so that I stop being a jerk.

Do I agree with the second post in this thread? No, but I have not given Lillabett a negative point for expressing her opinion, even though I think she read something into the original linked article that was not present in the text itself.

HisChildForever

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='24 November 2009 - 08:17 PM' timestamp='1259111830' post='2008876']
Do I agree with the second post in this thread? No, but I have not given Lillabett a negative point for expressing her opinion, even though I think she read something into the original linked article that was not present in the text itself.
[/quote]

I think she was given the negative point because she failed to address the actual topic of the article, as Socrates said.

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='24 November 2009 - 06:18 PM' timestamp='1259111899' post='2008877']
I think she was given the negative point because she failed to address the actual topic of the article, as Socrates said.
[/quote]
I do not see a negative point for post number two, but perhaps she was given one and it has been cleared.

Edit: Actually, at the present moment, it has a positive point.

Edited by Apotheoun

HisChildForever

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='24 November 2009 - 08:20 PM' timestamp='1259112038' post='2008880']
I do not see a negative point for post number two, but perhaps she was given one and it has been cleared.

Edit: Actually, at the present moment, it has a positive point.
[/quote]

There is no rhyme or reason to it.

For instance, this comment of mine has a negative:

[quote]Right on, this is exactly what happens!!! You would think the reverse would occur, since this is not a liberal but a conservative forum. [/quote]

So sad when you consider that we all -men and women - are made in the image and likeness of God. These people are throwing acid in God's face...

It should be noted that this is not a purely Islamic phenomenon. Unfortunately this happens in Israel too with the ultra Orthodox Jews and the self-appointed "Modesty Squads." At the root of it is a deep terror of women and the sexual power they have over men, I think.

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='24 November 2009 - 06:37 PM' timestamp='1259113063' post='2008899']
You should have a flag.
[/quote]
I had one, but I gave it up for Lent. :)

HisChildForever

[quote name='Maggie' date='24 November 2009 - 08:40 PM' timestamp='1259113206' post='2008904']
It should be noted that this is not a purely Islamic phenomenon. Unfortunately this happens in Israel too with the ultra Orthodox Jews and the self-appointed "Modesty Squads." At the root of it is a deep terror of women and the sexual power they have over men, I think.
[/quote]

Comparing Islam to ultra Orthodox Jews is like comparing Islam to the SSPX.

[quote name='Lilllabettt' date='24 November 2009 - 01:57 PM' timestamp='1259085455' post='2008578']

2. The article says the women look like monsters. THEY DO NOT LOOK LIKE MONSTERS. they look like survivors. That is beautiful.
[/quote]

:bigclap:

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='24 November 2009 - 09:44 PM' timestamp='1259113457' post='2008910']
Comparing Islam to ultra Orthodox Jews is like comparing Islam to the SSPX.
[/quote]

How so? SSPX doesn't do the vigilante thing I don't believe, which the other two do. Otherwise I think the SSPX can very easily be compared to the ultra Orthodox and the Wahhabis. All fundamentalist flavors of their various religions. Although I think the SSPX is much more "mainstream" than the latter two... they would not Photoshop the women cabinet ministers out of official photos the way the ultra orthodox do, nor do they have the vicious legal structures of the fundamentalist Muslims... although perhaps this is only because they do not have any power anywhere to control the legislature.