An Old School Catholic Message Board

Giant List Of Non Satanic Heavy Metal.

Jesus_lol

[quote name='DemonSlayer' date='04 December 2009 - 09:01 AM' timestamp='1259946110' post='2014393']
Impending Doom, while "Christian", are very anti-Catholic/religion. Iron Maiden had an extremely anti-Catholic song called Montségur from the album Dance of Death.
[/quote]

really? i didnt know that about Impending Doom.
yeah that song is fairly inflammatory, but altogether not an inaccurate historical account, given the 200+ people who were put to the torch for not renouncing their own religion. More anger at the idea of killing in the name of God, than anger at God or the church itself.

here is a really good interview with Niko McBrain(iron maidens drummer) where he talks about christianity and the band.
http://www.canada.com/topics/entertainment/story.html?id=41753537-c41f-4f04-9c43-99def58956ef&k=3874

[quote name='sacredheartandbloodofjesus' date='04 December 2009 - 09:31 AM' timestamp='1259947912' post='2014406']
Is Heavy Metal even considered music? Because Ive heard that music is the silence in between the instruments. And it seems as if there is no silence in Heavy Metal or DM or BM.
[/quote]

haha, music is wherever you find it. by that logic John Cage's song [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4%E2%80%B233%E2%80%B3"]4'33''[/url] is the greatest music ever. personally i think metal is the highest form of modern music. the level of skilled instrumentation and complexity in arrangement in some bands is unparalleled in other genres, and metal takes influence from nearly every other music genre in existence. transcribed into other instruments some metal songs would pass for very technical classical pieces.

[quote name='Jesus_lol' date='04 December 2009 - 08:36 PM' timestamp='1259976996' post='2014593']

haha, music is wherever you find it. [/quote]

Not it's not. That's dumb.

Edited by Winchester

[quote name='Jesus_lol' date='04 December 2009 - 10:06 PM' timestamp='1259982388' post='2014652']
You're dumb.
[/quote]
Wrong.

[quote name='Winchester' date='04 December 2009 - 07:09 PM' timestamp='1259982551' post='2014656']
Wrong.
[/quote]

Touche.

and i claim that 90% of metal is better than anything on the radio these days.

Edited by Jesus_lol

[quote name='Winchester' date='04 December 2009 - 06:34 PM' timestamp='1259980453' post='2014621']

Not it's not. That's dumb.
[/quote]

ok, now that i have thought of things such as nickelback, good charlotte and the Jonas brothers i must agree. some things arent music, no matter how many unfortunate people tlisten to them.

[quote name='Jesus_lol' date='04 December 2009 - 10:20 PM' timestamp='1259983205' post='2014659']
and i can fairly easily claim that 90% of metal is better than anything on the radio these days.
[/quote]
So do it.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='29 November 2009 - 05:11 PM' timestamp='1259536296' post='2011448']
Yesterday I tried listening to some famous examples of Christian metal. Mostly Christian black metal, doom metal, and death metal. I'm going to be perfectly honest with you; I found there to be zero redeeming qualities about it. It was just noise to me. I could not stand it. It's not even that I didn't like it, it's like most of it wasn't even music to me. With some of it I literally could have replaced it with white noise and not have cared either way.

I'm sorry, I just couldn't stand it, guys.
[/quote]

I've had the same experience...before I came into my own ownership of my faith, I got stuck in a care en route to a nondenominational retreat in Nashville, Tennessee. The driver I was stuck with was a fan of Christian Death Metal. It was almost as bad as the rest of the retreat. I. just. don't. get. it.

so would i Knihil. most black metal sounds like its been recorded in a tin can.there is only like 3 bands from that genre i like.

i like tool. some very progressive cool songs.

[quote name='Veridicus' date='04 December 2009 - 07:49 PM' timestamp='1259984982' post='2014683']
I'vehad the same experience...before I came into my own ownership of myfaith, I got stuck in a care en route to a nondenominational retreat inNashville, Tennessee. The driver I was stuck with was a fan ofChristian Death Metal. It was almost as bad as the rest of the retreat.I. just. don't. get. it.
[/quote]

admittedly, i hated death metal a year or two ago. it was definitely an acquired taste for me, i dont know anyone who got into death metal without first listening to normal metal for a while

one of my now favourite bands, Nile, i tried listening to on 3 different occasions before i liked it. (its always highly recommended on this guitar forum i frequent)
the first time i hated it. just dark sounding noise and i didnt get it. months later i tried it again, and while i didnt hate it, it sure wasnt interesting to me, i couldnt hear what was going on or anything.
the last time i got one of their albums and listened to them for a while when i was working, and i really started to like them, the sound, the guitar parts and everything. like my ears had been trained, i could actually pick out everything they did, clearly, unlike before.

an acquired taste it certainly is, and not for everyone.

what do you think of normal metal stuff Veridicus? like metallica, iron maiden, dream theater, etc?

[quote name='Jesus_lol' date='04 December 2009 - 09:57 PM' timestamp='1259985434' post='2014688']
i like tool. some very progressive cool songs.

admittedly, i hated death metal a year or two ago. it was definitely an acquired taste for me, i dont know anyone who got into death metal without first listening to normal metal for a while

one of my now favourite bands, Nile, i tried listening to on 3 different occasions before i liked it. (its always highly recommended on this guitar forum i frequent)
the first time i hated it. just dark sounding noise and i didnt get it. months later i tried it again, and while i didnt hate it, it sure wasnt interesting to me, i couldnt hear what was going on or anything.
the last time i got one of their albums and listened to them for a while when i was working, and i really started to like them, the sound, the guitar parts and everything. like my ears had been trained, i could actually pick out everything they did, clearly, unlike before.

an acquired taste it certainly is, and not for everyone.

what do you think of normal metal stuff Veridicus? like metallica, iron maiden, dream theater, etc?
[/quote]

I went through a Metallica phase in early high school. Then there new stuff was somewhat disappointing. Iron Maiden I never really got into. Dream Theatre is actually one of my offhand favorites. I was really, really into them for a while before I started listening to Tool. I actually got into a few of the songs on Mastodon's Leviathan album...aboout as close to death metal as I come.

I didn't know anyone else listened to Dream Theater. They're not really a radio band where I'm from so no one has heard of them.

they are actually one of the most popular metal bands! :) i went to go see them live, and it was amazing! same here with the metallica phase, except when i was done with them i started listening to heavier stuff, instead of reverting to classic rock. their new album is actually quite good, i was surprised.
though, the new albums from testament and megadeth are better.

heeh i also went to go see Mastodon play. enjoyed that show as well. they played through all of their new album (which is more concepty/less metal than earlier ones)