An Old School Catholic Message Board

Giant List Of Non Satanic Heavy Metal.

Jesus_lol

[quote name='sacredheartandbloodofjesus' date='04 December 2009 - 12:31 PM' timestamp='1259947912' post='2014406']
Is Heavy Metal even considered music? Because Ive heard that music is the silence in between the instruments. And it seems as if there is no silence in Heavy Metal or DM or BM.
[/quote]
[quote name='Jesus_lol' date='04 December 2009 - 08:36 PM' timestamp='1259976996' post='2014593']
haha, music is wherever you find it. by that logic John Cage's song [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4%E2%80%B233%E2%80%B3"]4'33''[/url] is the greatest music ever. personally i think metal is the highest form of modern music. the level of skilled instrumentation and complexity in arrangement in some bands is unparalleled in other genres, and metal takes influence from nearly every other music genre in existence. transcribed into other instruments some metal songs would pass for very technical classical pieces.
[/quote]
[i]4'33"[/i] is rubbish, and the least musical piece of so-called 'music' I've ever come across. Plus the fact that you'd get a divide by zero kind of thing since there are no notes betwixt which silence can occur.
As a piper, I have to disagree with Debussy that music is the space between the notes.
I also disagree that metal is the highest form of modern music, but I suppose that depends what we're considering modern music.

Edited by USAirwaysIHS

i am considering things that are relatively new (not jazz, or classical, though i generally dont prefer to listen to either) and are still being produced/buyable in a cd store.

though i generally dont consider lyrics or singing(though there are some talented operatic singers in metal) when i say they are a high form of music.

Edited by Jesus_lol

I was unable to appreciate Metallica until I the time I accidentally slammed the volume all the way up while out walking and listening to the radio. (Was attempting to change the station, of course.) :lol: Oh, THAT'S what they're supposed to sound like!

I can appreciate the musical aspects of Death Metal, though I really like being able to understand the lyrics, which is usually impossible. And I'm inordinately fond of synthesizers. Not enough synths! :rolleyes: (Silly, I know.)

[quote name='philothea' date='04 December 2009 - 09:44 PM' timestamp='1259991878' post='2014822']
I was unable to appreciate Metallica until I the time I accidentally slammed the volume all the way up while out walking and listening to the radio. (Was attempting to change the station, of course.) :lol: Oh, THAT'S what they're supposed to sound like!

I can appreciate the musical aspects of Death Metal, though I really like being able to understand the lyrics, which is usually impossible. And I'm inordinately fond of synthesizers. Not enough synths! :rolleyes: (Silly, I know.)
[/quote]

hehe yup, gotta have some volume. thats why i got a 100watt 2X12" tube amp for my guitar... still havent cranked it past "3" :D

hehe yeah, thats another thing of listening to death metal(sometimes you dont want to hear the lyrics :P) but i can mostly understand them now, except for a couple of bands.
Thrash metal, and some melodic death metal typically have very discernable lyrics.

Right this second I'm listening to a genre called Gothic Americana. Sometimes more accurately called Black Folk or Dark Roots, because "goth" has incorrect connotations.

[quote name='Jesus_lol' date='05 December 2009 - 10:36 AM' timestamp='1259976996' post='2014593']
really? i didnt know that about Impending Doom.
[/quote]
[img]http://www.teethofthedivine.com/site/uploads/2009/04/226123.jpg[/img]

The cover of their latest album already suggest that they think the Catholic Church is evil since it portrays a Catholic priest/bishop controlled by a serpent probably representing Satan.

[quote][b]Dress me in your cloak, induct me into your cult.
Use an open tomb as my throat, the laws that I live by will not replace the reason he died, brainwash me with set standards and a loss of hope.[/b]
Then put me under this microscope.
Do I fit the perfect description?
[b]Poster boy for your artificial religion.
Do I fit the perfect description?
Never![/b]
You filled the world with fervent deceit, now the serpent and the servant meet.
Behold your end when you seduce with corruption.
False light draws false life.
When the depths have risen we will bring down the heavens.
[/quote]
Part of the lyrics for "The Serpent Servant"

[quote name='Jesus_lol' date='02 December 2009 - 03:53 AM' timestamp='1259744016' post='2013121']
found another Christian band! that i like!

[b]Paramaecium[/b] - Christian Doom/death metal. lots of slow operatic sort of sections, with some heavy parts. like the christian counterpart to the band "My Dying Bride"

[media][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKY0OjlH4P4"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=WKY0OjlH4P4[/url][/media]

a heavier one. with violin!
[media][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NMeNKRZHlA"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=4NMeNKRZHlA[/url][/media]
[/quote]

Hi erybody, I finally found some serios honest talk about heavy metal and the Christian standpoint. I am 41 and have refreshed Helloween from 20 years ago :-), if I was to choose from metal, I'd go for powermetal. I like some songs from Helloween, such as You're the Keeper of the Seven Keys, Eagle Fly Free... about 7 of them. I reckon they are good, empowering... Why is Helloween not on the Giant List ...? In my opinion their music is of much better quality than DragonForce or Stratovarius (but they are good too). Hm?
Thank you. Milos

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='29 November 2009 - 09:57 PM' timestamp='1259549853' post='2011622']
Not to burst your bubble by there are quite a few on your list which employ satanic imagery, and lyrics.
[/quote]
So what? They're not ACTUALLY Satanic. They utilise that imagery for two main reasons: it's cool and it annoys Christians. I can only think of one metal musician who actually practices Satanism: Inferno from Gorgoroth. All the rest either do it intentionally to cause controversy or have been misunderstood by people who get hysterical at the very mention of Satan.

J_Lol, great list but you forgot Burzum

Edited by Varg

[quote name='DemonSlayer' date='04 December 2009 - 12:01 PM' timestamp='1259946110' post='2014393']
Iron Maiden had an extremely anti-Catholic song called Montségur from the album Dance of Death.
[/quote]
That song points out the wrongs done the the Catholics during the Crusades, it's not anti-Catholic at all, simply anti-evil.

Edited by Varg

Hi there,

I wrote yesterday and can't find it now. Just wanted to ask you whether you would also add Helloween to the Giant List. I think their music is of a better quality than other comparable power metal. E.g. I like You're the Keeper of the Seven Keys, Eagle Fly Free... about 7 of their songs. Don't know much about the rest. Do you?

[quote name='Varg' date='10 December 2009 - 05:34 PM' timestamp='1260484499' post='2017906']
That song points out the wrongs done the the Catholics during the Crusades, it's not anti-Catholic at all, simply anti-evil.
[/quote]
Yes, because the Crusades were monolithic.

[quote name='Milos' date='10 December 2009 - 01:49 PM' timestamp='1260481769' post='2017826']
Hi erybody, I finally found some serios honest talk about heavy metal and the Christian standpoint. I am 41 and have refreshed Helloween from 20 years ago :-), if I was to choose from metal, I'd go for powermetal. I like some songs from Helloween, such as You're the Keeper of the Seven Keys, Eagle Fly Free... about 7 of them. I reckon they are good, empowering... Why is Helloween not on the Giant List ...? In my opinion their music is of much better quality than DragonForce or Stratovarius (but they are good too). Hm?
Thank you. Milos
[/quote]

i had Helloween a while back, but lost it with all my other music when my mp3 player got itself lost :rolleyes:. if i recall i liked them. though its been so long i couldnt recommend them from my own experiences, specially not in this thread(where more than just the quality of the music is being considered) i have a much more complete list elsewhere.
[quote name='Varg' date='10 December 2009 - 02:16 PM' timestamp='1260483384' post='2017870']
So what? They're not ACTUALLY Satanic. They utilise that imagery for two main reasons: it's cool and it annoys Christians. I can only think of one metal musician who actually practices Satanism: Inferno from Gorgoroth. All the rest either do it intentionally to cause controversy or have been misunderstood by people who get hysterical at the very mention of Satan.

J_Lol, great list but you forgot Burzum
[/quote]
kinda like the bunch of metal bands that use christian imagery arent christian bands. that said i tried to cut out bands like Bloodbath(though they are awesome) cause recommending a band where the lyrics are constantly about setting fire to the trinity/withering corpse of christ etc would be pretty stupid. im pretty open about music, and i love that band but it is abit annoying and unnecessary.
And i'm trying to get people here into metal that they might enjoy, not just what i like. if you want someone to try the hottub, let them go in at the cooler edges at their own pace, instead of trying to toss them straight in the hot water.

and i tried Burzum out, thought they were terrible. some of his more ambient stuff he wrote later is interesting. but the guy himself is just so devoid of human worth, i cant really make myself listen to his stuff, specially when there is better around.

[quote name='Varg' date='10 December 2009 - 02:34 PM' timestamp='1260484499' post='2017906']
[/quote]

pretty much.

[quote name='Winchester' date='11 December 2009 - 11:30 AM' timestamp='1260559842' post='2018546']
Yes, because the Crusades were monolithic.
[/quote]

yeah but the lyrics would be stupid if they were like "and everyone sucked, in different ways and in different occasions, why judge ANYOOOOOOOOOOONE!?!?!"

just cause you were both playing baseball in the house doesnt make it any less your fault when you hit one through a window.
:P

[quote name='Jesus_lol' date='16 December 2009 - 01:24 AM' timestamp='1260944646' post='2021702']
and i tried Burzum out, thought they were terrible. some of his more ambient stuff he wrote later is interesting. but the guy himself is just so devoid of human worth, i cant really make myself listen to his stuff, specially when there is better around.
[/quote]
:sadder:

Although I do hate Varg's obsession with Nazism...