An Old School Catholic Message Board

Giant List Of Non Satanic Heavy Metal.

Jesus_lol

eustace scrubb

[quote name='Jesus_lol' date='08 March 2010 - 01:22 AM' timestamp='1268025769' post='2068627']i received most of these digitally (some downloaded, a huge smack from afriends failed hard drive), so i havent seen all the liner notes, album coversetc.)[/quote]

yyyyyyyeah, that'll make a huge difference in your knowledge of the bands...

[i]
[b]Amon Amarth[/b] fun band, musically good, but they have a song or two aboutraping nuns. wouldn't recommend them to people here.

mhm, those songs are easy enough to find and delete, just by song title. thenthat leaves you with a healthy discography of awesome viking metal.[/i]

my main point is that the concept of [i]viking[/i] metal itself is going to be pretty offensive to Catholics, given what actual vikings did centuries ago...

[i][b]Black Sabbath[/b]- coined the musical terms "metal" and "doommetal." most successful Catholic rock band in history, but oftheir best material, only the first three have lyrics that would be acceptableby people here.

Cant say ive listened to much past their first three albums,Master of Reality is my fav by far. Could you go into more detail on whatswrong with their later stuff?[/i]

it sounds terrible. hahaha

anyhow, on vol. 4, they got into cocaine and sang about it. that, drugs, and some anti-Christian lyrics started to appear. i don't know much about the Dio era (don't like any of it...), but when they had one or two random guys on vocals in the late 70's, there was some actual satanic stuff going on from what i understand... they got back on track in the mid to late 80's, but everything they wrote since then has been awful. i haven't heard the latest one, though... they go under the name "Heaven and Hell" now, because Sharon Osbourne got her lawyer father to buy the rights to the name Black Sabbath. it's ridiculous, since it's always been Iommi's band, but what can you do? at least the new name allows them to start fresh, without the baggage of Ozzy and his stupid TV show. Dio is singing for them now, but what was diagnosed recently with cancer. i saw them live a few years ago and wasn't into it.

[i][b]Cannibal Corpse[/b] horrible drumming and the worst lyrics i have ever hadthe displeasure of reading in my entire life. they cross so manylines, it's not even funny. i'm paid to write about metal andhardcore and was given an assignment to write about them. i turnedit down and the editor was understanding.

I agree. Their earlystuff is terrible, in every way. Their last two albums(the only ones i like atall) are a lot more normal to death metal, lyrics wise(their newer singer isn'tas screwed up) and the production and playing gets better.[/i]

[b]
[/b]yeah, george *ahem* "corpsegrinder" fisher isn't nearly as bad as chris barnes... unfortunately, the drumming still smells of elderberries and i haven't heard anything on the same level as their classic song, "hammer smashed face."[b]

[i]Carcass[/i][/b][i] -what is junk grindcore??? i know they started goregrind (one ofthe most BORING genres EVER...), but they were a legitimately good band beforeheartwork...

Lol, junk as in i didn't like listening to it, not as agenre. Yes they were popular in the metal scene before heartwork, but that bodyof music doesn't really belong in this thread. And im not that familiar with itanyways.[/i]

i think it does. grindcore is basically punk death metal. it's just more raw, fast, and extreme.

[i][b]Dark Tranquility [/b]AWESOME AWESOME band... saw them live eight years agoor so and they TOTALLY blew me away...

Uggg, i had tickets to go see these guys(along with archenemy, firewind) and i missed the chance to go. L[/i]

get Damage Done. awesome album. haven't heard anything nearly as good since, sadly, but that may have more to do with my preference of gothenberg melodic death being... melodic...

[i][b]Death - [/b]albums like Spiritual Healing were very anti-religious and theyhave an upside-down cross in their logo. however, their singerconverted to Catholicism sometime before his death.

Hmm i didn't know he went full catholic, thats interesting. Youare right, his early couple albums do have that symbol there(though i don't thinkit makes them a satanic band), and spiritual healing is like that.

Over the course of a few albums, that upside down cross turnsinto a right side up one. (more neutral, but w/e) and their later albums aremore about hypocrisy, politics, etc. Given the band leader stated he hadnothing whatso ever to do with Satanism, thats about as close to the source asit gets.[/i]
[b]
[/b]i wasn't saying that it made them satanic. that's interesting about the change, though...[b]

[i]Dio-[/i][/b][i] the artwork for Holy Diver has a priest in chains, thrown into the seaby a demon... are you seriously recommending hIm to people here???

I already noted, this band might want to be avoided cause ofthat album cover. Still, that song is about a part of Revelations i believe. TheDevils descent into hell.

[/i]i missed that. apologies.[i]
[/i]

[i][b]Dream Theater[/b]- horrible horrible horrible live band, but amazingmusicians. i wish more of their material wasn't just a build up toan awesome solo in the middle of the song, though. Awake is a greatalbum, though, as is another one i can't remember at the moment... someanti-religious lyrics, but have/had? Catholic members.

Catholic members? First i had heard. They were amazing livewhen i saw them with Opeth. Great playing and a good show. Maybe you arethinking of the song "in the name of God" which deplores violence done underthe banner of righteous gods?[/i]

i saw them on "Gigantour" back in 2005. they were so bad that people actually left (including the braindead person who gave me a ride there...).

i'm referring to a song where the singer refers to praying as pointless, because God doesn't exist. read an interview with them, though, where a member talked about his Catholic faith and how one or two other members were, as well, but that it didn't influence the lyrics.

[b][i]Darkest Hour[/i][/b][i]- VERY fun live band, but extremelyanti-religious. they're too drunk and stupid to be taken seriouslywith that, though. even if their upcoming album is a Nietzschereference (philosophy 101 metal, anyone? lololol).

Nietzche? Lol, have to check that out. I want to see themlive now... but yeah i left some of the more tongue in cheek , or drunken bandsin, such as municipal waste and arsis.[/i]

yeah, totally... i wouldn't take them seriously in the slightest... they have to be some of the dumbest, most brain dead people in metal, thanks to their alcoholism...

[b]Disturbed[/b]- DEATH TO FALSE METAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[i]
Hmm, i think for a modern band, if you took away all thesubgenre stuff, added a bit of rock, it might sound like disturbed. And theirnew album is fairly decent, a much better intro to metal than Korn or slipknot,or some other junk.[/i]

i don't think that's an intro to metal at all, but whatever. btw i keep confusing them with drowning pool... which of them did that "down wit tha sickness" song? OOH AH AH AH AH!!!!!!!!! lolololol

[i][b]Enslaved[/b] - uhm, they have shirts with a mjolnir cracking a cross inhalf...

Whats a mjolnir? Caint say ive listened to much other than "RUUN",after looking up some lyrics, and the band, i didn't see any stanic missionstatements, etc. Still, be wary of the unknown[/i]

a hammer of thor. it's the primary religious symbol of Odinism. ask user Varg about it.

[i][b]Electric Wizard-[/b] great band, but one of their recent albums (WithcultToday) had a lot of satanic material in it, from what iunderstand. it came across as forced, but whatever.

Certainly not as good as Dopethrone.[/i]
[b]
[/b]oh, for sure... that album is incredible... and i doubt that an album about satanism and weed and how they're somehow connected is gonna be anywhere near as good...[b]

[i]Entombed[/i][/b][i]- VERY satanic and offensive lyrics... i'm amazed they made yourlist...

Their latest album or two(the death rock stuff) seems prettyclean to me. Obviously not the early stuff, doesn't take much to realize that.[/i]

morning star was swedish death metal. wolverine blues was more rock oriented, but i don't know about the latest... anyhow, their only material that i like is the really offensive stuff, but i can't stand them anymore...

[i][b]Hypocrisy[/b] - pretty anti-Christian from what i know.

Ill take your word for it, im not to familiar with them,though i never regret when they come up on shuffle.[/i]

yeah, i may be seeing them live next month, but i think i blew my finances, so that may not happen... :(
[b]
[i]Immortal[/i][/b][i] -VERY VERY VERY anti-Christian band, was involved in churchburnings and possibly a murder or two. very blasphemous and usesatanic imagery a lot, but are probably just neo-Odinists, like 98% of"satanic" black metal bands...

I think you are thinking of a different band. "The band hasalso distanced itself from the criminal activities and controversy that isusually associated with black metal. There have been a few minor controversieswith members of Immortal after they have left the band, such as original rhythmguitarist Jørn's conviction of church burning, as well as Erik "Grim"Brødreskift's suicide in 1999."[/i]
[i]
The mainstay membersof the band avoided that stuff. And im pretty surethe 2 murders were done byVarg from Burzum and Faust from Emperor[/i]

no, that's who i'm thinking of. they don't interest me, anyhow. their last two albums aren't nearly as good as the old stuff, from what friends who are diehard fans have told me...

btw Varg was in Mayhem (only material he contributed as far as i know were basslines on Dom Mysterii Sathanas), Burzum, and contributed lyrics to early Darkthrone (A Blaze in the Northern Sky and Transilvanian Hunger, probably the two best black metal albums in history...). he was somewhat involved with getting a member of Immortal into black metal and/or church burnings, but that was the extent of his interactions with Immortal.

[i][b]Judas Priest [/b]are you serious? they're great and all, but HIGHLYanti-Christian and have a lot of cryptic lyrics about homosexualsex. i love them, personally, but doubt people here would becomfortable listening to them.

I didn't pick up the anti Christian part, but yeah the leadsinger is gay, and that does cast some lyrics in a weird light. Luckily, mostof those particular songs weren't any good anyways. Its been a while since ilistened to JP much though.[/i]

they were one of the bands during the 80's who got the most heat from Tipper Gore for their lyrics. listen to their landmark album Sad Wings of Destiny, a classic example of NWOBHM...

[i][b]Megadeth[/b] - Dave Mustaine became an evangelical Christian around97. it helped him kick his heroin addiction, but not long ago, hewas hosting a radio show where he spewed all this evangelical fundie stuff thatwas really incendiary and ridiculous. supposedly he's recentlygotten over his ego, but i'm skeptical. i think he's calmed downwith the religious firebrand stuff, though... but not sure...

Dave mustaine, always has and always will be an ass. He doesright agood tune though.[/i]
[b]
[/b]he is an amazing musician...[b]

[i]Sentenced [/i][/b][i]super-suicidal lyrics, the singer recently killed himself... youguys can figure it out for yourselves...

Wow, i hadn't heard about that!! Hmm ill have to go back andlisten to his lyrics, i didn't get that vibe at all.[/i]

it's not in the vibe so much as it is in their lyrics, which are very melodic. it's such a shame that he wasted his talent on that stuff, but at least it helped him to deal with his suicidal feelings... for a limited time...
:rip:
[b]
[i]Vader [/i][/b][i]- i like them, but they have a generic and formulaicsound. lyrics are extremely anti-Christian and there's some satanicstuff there for shock value. they have songs about going to waragainst Christianity, so i'd recommend people here avoid them. i'llgo see them live, but won't listen to their albums. also, theirSlayer covers are TERRIBLE!!!!!!

Mhm, shock value they got. Like a heavier, but lessoffensive Slayer, imo. Yes their covers are baaad.[/i]

yup.

[i]Yeah, what ive heardof burzums music is kinda interesting, but he is just sooo messed up i cantbring myself to listen to it. Dude has problems.[/i]

i'm surprised you'd like something with such (intentionally, at that...) bad production...

[i]Yeah id love tostart a Death metal band(maybe thrash, im not sure.) but no one around here toplay with.[/i]

yeah... right now a friend of mine said he's going to work on some drum tracks with a computer and play bass for an e-grind band with me. the drum tracks will probably be just until we can find a real drummer. he doesn't know how to play grindcore, but he's extremely talented and i think listening to some Godstomper and early Napalm Death should help take care of that. plus he likes Gridlink and Discordance Axis, so i think it could work out. he's a Christian, as well, so our lyrics will obviously be influenced by our faith. if we manage to get a demo recorded, i'll spend the time to come up with a name for it and upload the tracks for anyone who happens to be interested. if Forty Holy Martyrs of Sebaste is still around and our project takes off, i'd really like to do a split with them...

Edited by eustace scrubb

[i]
yyyyyyyeah, that'll make a huge difference in your knowledge of the bands...

[/i]true, but i try looking a lot of that stuff if i have the time.
[i]
[b]Amon Amarth[/b] [/i][i]my main point[i] [/i]is that the concept of [i]viking[/i] metal itself is going to be pretty offensive to Catholics, given what actual vikings did centuries ago...[/i]

hmm, possibly, though most people here think vikings are cool. lots of people were jerks centuries ago

[i][b]Black Sabbath[/b]- [/i][i]it sounds terrible. hahaha

anyhow, on vol. 4, they got into cocaine and sang about it. that, drugs, and some anti-Christian lyrics started to appear. i don't know much about the Dio era (don't like any of it...), but when they had one or two random guys on vocals in the late 70's, there was some actual satanic stuff going on from what i understand... they got back on track in the mid to late 80's, but everything they wrote since then has been awful. i haven't heard the latest one, though... they go under the name "Heaven and Hell" now, because Sharon Osbourne got her lawyer father to buy the rights to the name Black Sabbath. it's ridiculous, since it's always been Iommi's band, but what can you do? at least the new name allows them to start fresh, without the baggage of Ozzy and his stupid TV show. Dio is singing for them now, but what was diagnosed recently with cancer. i saw them live a few years ago and wasn't into it.[/i]

hmm thats too bad. oh well, all weird stuff aside Dio and Ozzy are like the two best vocalists in metal.

[i][b]Cannibal Corpse[/b] [/i]
[i]yeah, george *ahem* "corpsegrinder" fisher isn't nearly as bad as chris barnes... unfortunately, the drumming still smells of elderberries and i haven't heard anything on the same level as their classic song, "hammer smashed face."[/i][b]

[/b]lol, that is an awesome song. [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX88zALlqUA"]This Unassuming guy[/url] did an awesome guitar cover of that song, and actually way improved the heavy riff in it, with the trills.
[b]
[i]Carcass[/i][/b][i] -
i think it does. grindcore is basically punk death metal. it's just more raw, fast, and extreme.[/i]

i was thinking the extreme gore lyrics probably wouldnt be well received. still, ill check them out again later. have you heard Pig Destroyer or Exhumed?? only other two in my library id call Grind.

[i][b]Dark Tranquility [/b][/i][i]get Damage Done. awesome album. haven't heard anything nearly as good since, sadly, but that may have more to do with my preference of gothenberg melodic death being... melodic...[/i]

lol, me too. hence Insomnium being my all time favourite melodeth band. such awesome melodies and lyrics. and i already have Damage Done, its great.
[b]

[/b][i][b]Dream Theater[/b]- [/i][i]
i saw them on "Gigantour" back in 2005. they were so bad that people actually left (including the braindead person who gave me a ride there...).

i'm referring to a song where the singer refers to praying as pointless, because God doesn't exist. read an interview with them, though, where a member talked about his Catholic faith and how one or two other members were, as well, but that it didn't influence the lyrics.[/i]

that seems like apretty common thing for religious people to have deep issues with. too bad about gigantour. they must have been off their game.

[b][i]Darkest Hour[/i][/b][i]- yeah, totally... i wouldn't take them seriously in the slightest... they have to be some of the dumbest, most brain dead people in metal, thanks to their alcoholism...[/i]

speaking of which, you should check out Municipal Waste. its my go to band for converting punks into metalheads.

[b]Disturbed[/b]-[i] i don't think that's an intro to metal at all, but whatever. btw i keep confusing them with drowning pool... which of them did that "down wit tha sickness" song? OOH AH AH AH AH!!!!!!!!! lolololol[/i]

lol, im not sure.

[i][b]Enslaved[/b] - [/i]a hammer of thor. it's the primary religious symbol of Odinism. ask user Varg about it.

gotcha, didnt recognize the name.

[i][b]Electric Wizard-[/b] oh, for sure... that album is incredible... and i doubt that an album about satanism and weed and how they're somehow connected is gonna be anywhere near as good...[/i][b]

[/b]oh i once won a MS paint contest on another forum(mspaint album covers) with this album
[img]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r267/diablo_man/_c197667_image_0.jpg[/img]
took me some time.
[b]
[i]Entombed[/i][/b][i]- morning star was swedish death metal. wolverine blues was more rock oriented, but i don't know about the latest... anyhow, their only material that i like is the really offensive stuff, but i can't stand them anymore...[/i]

yeah i liked morningstar.

[i][b]Hypocrisy[/b] yeah, i may be seeing them live next month, but i think i blew my finances, so that may not happen... :([/i]
[b]
[/b]aww that smells of elderberries, ive nmissed out on a few good ones recently. althogh i am really glad i made it to see dethklok, mastadon and high on fire.
:D

[b][i]Immortal[/i][/b][i] -no, that's who i'm thinking of. they don't interest me, anyhow. their last two albums aren't nearly as good as the old stuff, from what friends who are diehard fans have told me...

btw Varg was in Mayhem (only material he contributed as far as i know were basslines on Dom Mysterii Sathanas), Burzum, and contributed lyrics to early Darkthrone (A Blaze in the Northern Sky and Transilvanian Hunger, probably the two best black metal albums in history...). he was somewhat involved with getting a member of Immortal into black metal and/or church burnings, but that was the extent of his interactions with Immortal.[/i]

yeah their last two albums actually have some decent production which might have scared off the "trv kvlt" fans. nothing like people who prefer the recorded in a soup can sound.

[i][b]Judas Priest [/b][/i]t[i]hey were one of the bands during the 80's who got the most heat from Tipper Gore for their lyrics. listen to their landmark album Sad Wings of Destiny, a classic example of NWOBHM...[/i]

eh, most of that satanism=metal stuff back then is totally unfounded.

[i]Yeah, what ive heardof burzums music is kinda interesting, but he is just sooo messed up i cantbring myself to listen to it. Dude has problems.

i'm surprised you'd like something with such (intentionally, at that...) bad production...[/i]

well, i listened to a bit a while ago, and i didnt like the production, but the musician ship was impressive. i havent heard more than a few songs though. his darkwave stuff is pretty neat though

[i]Yeah id love tostart a Death metal band(maybe thrash, im not sure.) but no one around here toplay with.[/i]
[i]
yeah... right now a friend of mine said he's going to work on some drum tracks with a computer and play bass for an e-grind band with me. the drum tracks will probably be just until we can find a real drummer. he doesn't know how to play grindcore, but he's extremely talented and i think listening to some Godstomper and early Napalm Death should help take care of that. plus he likes Gridlink and Discordance Axis, so i think it could work out. he's a Christian, as well, so our lyrics will obviously be influenced by our faith. if we manage to get a demo recorded, i'll spend the time to come up with a name for it and upload the tracks for anyone who happens to be interested. if Forty Holy Martyrs of Sebaste is still around and our project takes off, i'd really like to do a split with them...

[/i]you play guitar then? so do i, what do you think?
[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/diabloman?feature=mhw4#p/u"]http://www.youtube.c...eature=mhw4#p/u[/url]

Edited by Jesus_lol

DemonSlayer

[quote name='eustace scrubb' date='09 March 2010 - 02:35 PM' timestamp='1268112914' post='2069421']
[i][b]Dream Theater[/b]- horrible horrible horrible live band, but amazingmusicians. i wish more of their material wasn't just a build up toan awesome solo in the middle of the song, though. Awake is a greatalbum, though, as is another one i can't remember at the moment... someanti-religious lyrics, but have/had? Catholic members.

Catholic members? First i had heard. They were amazing livewhen i saw them with Opeth. Great playing and a good show. Maybe you arethinking of the song "in the name of God" which deplores violence done underthe banner of righteous gods?[/i]

i'm referring to a song where the singer refers to praying as pointless, because God doesn't exist. read an interview with them, though, where a member talked about his Catholic faith and how one or two other members were, as well, but that it didn't influence the lyrics.
[/quote]
[quote]James LaBrie - Christian

James has said in many interviews that he is Christian, and actively practices the religion. There is a (no longer available) interview from HM Magazine that had him talk in-depth about his beliefs, and the lyrical meaning of the song Blind Faith, with the interviewer and John Petrucci.

John Myung - Christian

This is as much confirmation as we can get: he said in an interview once that Jesus is his biggest influence in life. Anyone with more information please contact us.

John Petrucci - Catholic

In the above-mentioned interview with James, he stated that he is a catholic and actively practices the religion. This is also evident in some of his songs, particularly Scarred and Voices.
[/quote]
[url="http://faq.dtnorway.com/question/114"]http://faq.dtnorway.com/question/114[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='desertwoman' date='18 December 2009 - 08:06 PM' timestamp='1261181202' post='2022858']
How about The Sword?
[/quote]

the sword is very awesome. i saw them in january, played a small club show. lots of new songs!

• 2 months later...

New video here from a Christian metal band Malevolence (metalcore technically) with the best music video ever!!
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u4y-z2DMGQ[/media]

and another Christian Band

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4XjXreON3Y[/media]

"Lyrics:
Let the trumpet sound for the coming King. The
almighty approaches! Let the whole world see. Wake up! This is really
happening--the locusts devouring everything. The great and dreadful day of the
Lord has fallen on the land. May you bear the mark of righteousness. We will
not be forsaken. May your conviction stand to profess: we will not be
forgotten.

America, you will be judged, but His people will be restored. fall to your knees, for there is life at the throne of god.
You will be judged. Seek your mercy now, while it may still be found. Arise,
take up your sword and choose your side. Tonight, prepare for battle. For the
dream of God will come from the lips of children, and His Spirit will pour out
onto all flesh. You will see the sun black out, and the moon turned to blood.
Then you will know there is one God and the LORD is His name.

You will be
judged, but His people will be restored. Fall to your knees, for there is life
at the throne of God."

• 8 months later...
Guest CaraKnox

I am a true christian girl and lets say this list is very VERY VERY hypocritical! First of SLAYER is SATANIC! Their songs focus on horrible hatred for christian anything. Saying how religion is a whore, how jesus didn't die on the cross, it was a lie and if he did, they would be the one to nail him up. Cause he deserves it. YEAH NOT CHRISTIAN! DON'T list bands that are satanic and act like are not. VADER and Dark tranquility are totally Satanic as well. Vader's song "god is dead" Is a prime example. Children of bodom have very suggestive demonic lyrics "banned from heaven" etc. Listening to these bands makes you a sinner. You mine as well stab a kinfe in Jesus' heart and tell him to go [mod]MIKolbe- language[/mod]. Because you are breaking his heart when you subject yourself to that utter filth. You should seriously Revise this and think about what you listen to and how it effects our Savior Jesus Christ.

• 2 weeks later...
ParadiseFound

[quote name='CaraKnox' timestamp='1297579440' post='2211905']
I am a true christian girl and lets say this list is very VERY VERY hypocritical! First of SLAYER is SATANIC! Their songs focus on horrible hatred for christian anything. Saying how religion is a whore, how jesus didn't die on the cross, it was a lie and if he did, they would be the one to nail him up. Cause he deserves it. YEAH NOT CHRISTIAN! DON'T list bands that are satanic and act like are not. VADER and Dark tranquility are totally Satanic as well. Vader's song "god is dead" Is a prime example. Children of bodom have very suggestive demonic lyrics "banned from heaven" etc. Listening to these bands makes you a sinner. You mine as well stab a kinfe in Jesus' heart and tell him to go [mod]MIKolbe- language[/mod]. Because you are breaking his heart when you subject yourself to that utter filth. You should seriously Revise this and think about what you listen to and how it effects our Savior Jesus Christ.
[/quote]
[url="http://www.metalunderground.com/news/details.cfm?newsid=20111"]http://www.metalunderground.com/news/details.cfm?newsid=20111[/url]

[quote name='ParadiseFound' timestamp='1298917030' post='2216454']
[url="http://www.metalunderground.com/news/details.cfm?newsid=20111"]http://www.metalunderground.com/news/details.cfm?newsid=20111[/url]
[/quote]

so they do provocative stuff in order to get a reaction but don't really "mean it." Real mature.

What we listen to is powerful, whether the person making the noise "means it" or not.

Frankly I don't understand why anyone would repeatedly subject their brains to statements revolving around darkness, despair, suicide and satanic imagery. I mean, I get people think its excellent on a technical level ... but come on. At a certain point it becomes pretty clear what is unhealthy. Find a genre of music where you don't have to skip over the songs about nun-rape.

very disturbing. everybody pray for this dude... a sign: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/slayer-frontman-tom-araya-hospitalized-in-sydney-20110228

[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/amen.gif[/img]

ParadiseFound

[quote name='Lilllabettt' timestamp='1298930439' post='2216561']
so they do provocative stuff in order to get a reaction but don't really "mean it." Real mature.

What we listen to is powerful, whether the person making the noise "means it" or not.

Frankly I don't understand why anyone would repeatedly subject their brains to statements revolving around darkness, despair, suicide and satanic imagery. I mean, I get people think its excellent on a technical level ... but come on. At a certain point it becomes pretty clear what is unhealthy. Find a genre of music where you don't have to skip over the songs about nun-rape.
[/quote]
Kerry King (who writes most of the lyrics) is still a 16-year-old at heart. What did you expect? :P

You get used to it after a while. Metal aims to be extreme in all areas, and if that involves writing songs about nunrape or suicide or whatever then so be it. And how is it unhealthy? If anything, being sheltered to the darker side of the world is more unhealthy.

Don't like it, don't listen. Simple as that.