An Old School Catholic Message Board

Giant List Of Non Satanic Heavy Metal.

Jesus_lol

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='ParadiseFound' timestamp='1299177503' post='2217514']
Find what creepy?
[/quote]
The idea of being ok with people threatening your life with various extravagant brutalities, but being ok with it because they're just trying to shock people.

ParadiseFound

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1299178523' post='2217519']
The idea of being ok with people threatening your life with various extravagant brutalities, but being ok with it because they're just trying to shock people.
[/quote]
*Shrug*

• 1 month later...
Guest coalaKaxsob

Thanks for the reply I know its a bit time consuming. Then again, so is watching all those movies, considering theres lots Ive seen that werent listed -- make you wonder how much of your life youre letting go by while youre watching movies.

Yeah, I just tried to give a cross-section of the movies I have ... though, Im surprised I didnt put Boys on the Side ... or was that in the giant list. I dont want to take the time to look, hehehe. I dont know TSotTP yet, but I will Then again, I didnt put Secondhand Lions, Simply Irrestible, or Annie the re-make.

Young Guns 2, was great I should really watch that again one of these days. =D

Daisy

hmm, wow my thread blew up a good bit recently.

ok, people who dont get why people could like lyrics about dark themes... do you enjoy action movies? do you enjoy horror movies and scary books? what about plays that center around brutality and murder and occassionally witchcraft? (shakespeare) why cant music have dark themes without every idiot going about saying it is either hypocritical or turing people into serial killers?

I love metal of most kinds. i appreciate the tone in some, but i mostly just love the absolute power and drive, and tonality of the instrumentation, and vocals to match. if that makes me a bad person, then feel free to not talk to me, saves me the trouble of responding.

And this thread is fairly clear in that it is a relatively indepth(given how much music i have and how many hours i spent putting the list together) look at a variety of metal bands. i removed the outright satanic from the list(no slayer does not count), and then cautioned as best i could about the content of the rest. if you feel determined to never listen to anything darker than lady Gaga, im not sure why you would bother posting here.

Edited by Jesus_lol

• 1 month later...
Heir Apparent

I just found this thread about an hour ago and it has really helped me to discover new Metal bands. I appreciate you posting it. I wanted to mention a couple of groups to you that weren't on the list but that you may like. I don't know if you've heard of them or not but they weren't on the list so here you go!

ISIS: Like yourself, I love Insomnium. You should definitely check out ISIS if you haven't heard them yet. They are very similar but really helped evolve what is considered Post-Metal. I recommend [i]"Wavering Radiant"[/i].

This Or The Apocalypse: Very amesome metal band. They have a very technical approach to their music and it really does a good job at keeping your attention. The vocals are unique as well. Try out their newest album [i]"Haunt What's Left"[/i].

August Burns Red: Great Christian Metal band. Their [i]"Constellations"[/i] album was incredible. It's superb musicianship in all aspects (at least I think so).

Threat Signal: amesome Metal band. They have two albums out and are currently working on a third. Both are great.

Parkway Drive: Brutal. This band is like the soundtrack for Dante's Inferno.

The Red Chord: Brutal-est.

The Haunted: Very comparable to Slayer musically. I recommend either [i]"The Haunted"[/i], [i]"One Kill Wonder"[/i], or [i]"rEVOLVEr"[/i] although everything is good (DO NOT LISTEN TO THEIR NEWEST ALBUM [i]"Unseen"[/i]!!!)

Static-X: They're just fun. Can't be denied.

Swallow The Sun: Very bleak but very excellent. Anything from them will do.

End of Green: Great Goth Metal band. [i]"Last Night On Earth"[/i] and [i]"The Sick's Sense"[/i] are pretty cool.

The Sorrow: This band just released a self-titled album late last year and it is extremely impressive. It's my favorite thing to listen to right now. They completely reinvented themselves with it and the music just blows me away. Absolutely check out their self-titled.

KATATONIA: I'm surprised that you mentioned Opeth and left them out. Beautiful music. Everything they do is amazing. Not Metal in the traditional sense but still Metal. Crazy underrated.

Best of all, none of the above have any satanic lyrics!

I have a few others but I've listed enough so I'll stop there. Let me know what you think. Thanks again for this list, it's helping out a lot. I'm always looking for new groups but I don't want to listen to anti-christian music. I believe in God and while a portion of my music doesn't focus on God (which is fine), I don't want to be singing the words to something that is in extreme opposition and attacks it. Moreover, I don't want to be singing something literally pro-evil. Like you said before, it's unnecessary. Take care!

Heir Apparent

It won't let me spell the word "a w esome" correctly. It keeps coming out amesome. Fail.

Edited by Heir Apparent

[quote name='Heir Apparent' timestamp='1306239168' post='2245330']
It won't let me spell the word "a w esome" correctly. It keeps coming out amesome. Fail.
[/quote]

Ahhh you have discovered our wonderful little philter (the fiddler), there are many words that don't come out correctly, che[i]e[/i]se, any kind of curse word, a[i]w[/i]esome, and there are others that i'm forgetting.

[quote name='Heir Apparent' timestamp='1306222956' post='2245299']
I just found this thread about an hour ago and it has really helped me to discover new Metal bands. I appreciate you posting it. I wanted to mention a couple of groups to you that weren't on the list but that you may like. I don't know if you've heard of them or not but they weren't on the list so here you go!
[/quote]

hehe, thanks. the list is a good bit outdated now, but glad to know it helps. Its pretty late right now, so ill check out the ones you listed (that i havent already heard) tomorrow

[quote]
ISIS: Like yourself, I love Insomnium. You should definitely check out ISIS if you haven't heard them yet. They are very similar but really helped evolve what is considered Post-Metal. I recommend [i]"Wavering Radiant"[/i].
[/quote]
yeah i have a recent album by these guys, never really got into them. however i suspect im listening to the wrong album, ill check the stuff out you linked too.

post metal wise, i like other bands like Pelican, Rwake, and Agalloch

[quote]
This Or The Apocalypse: Very amesome metal band. They have a very technical approach to their music and it really does a good job at keeping your attention. The vocals are unique as well. Try out their newest album [i]"Haunt What's Left"[/i].

August Burns Red: Great Christian Metal band. Their [i]"Constellations"[/i] album was incredible. It's superb musicianship in all aspects (at least I think so).

Threat Signal: amesome Metal band. They have two albums out and are currently working on a third. Both are great.

Parkway Drive: Brutal. This band is like the soundtrack for Dante's Inferno.

The Red Chord: Brutal-est.
[/quote]

sounds interesting, though the bands are a little more metalcore than i typically go for. I ll get back to you on these guys :P

[quote]
The Haunted: Very comparable to Slayer musically. I recommend either [i]"The Haunted"[/i], [i]"One Kill Wonder"[/i], or [i]"rEVOLVEr"[/i] although everything is good (DO NOT LISTEN TO THEIR NEWEST ALBUM [i]"Unseen"[/i]!!!)
[/quote]
Good band, though i dont get a slayer vibe from them. try out Sylosis and Anterior for similar stuff :)

[quote]
Static-X: They're just fun. Can't be denied.
[/quote]
I aint gonna start :P some good riffs here, if i recall correctly, you might also like The Showdown

[quote]
Swallow The Sun: Very bleak but very excellent. Anything from them will do.

End of Green: Great Goth Metal band. [i]"Last Night On Earth"[/i] and [i]"The Sick's Sense"[/i] are pretty cool.

The Sorrow: This band just released a self-titled album late last year and it is extremely impressive. It's my favorite thing to listen to right now. They completely reinvented themselves with it and the music just blows me away. Absolutely check out their self-titled.
[/quote]
Bleak is good :P these are going on my list for sure.

[quote]
KATATONIA: I'm surprised that you mentioned Opeth and left them out. Beautiful music. Everything they do is amazing. Not Metal in the traditional sense but still Metal. Crazy underrated.
[/quote]

lol, i hadnt heard these guys when i made the list. Absolutely love this band. Forsaker is one of my favourite songs, very listenable band. i enjoy clean singing over heavier backing from time to time.

[quote]
Best of all, none of the above have any satanic lyrics!

I have a few others but I've listed enough so I'll stop there. Let me know what you think. Thanks again for this list, it's helping out a lot. I'm always looking for new groups but I don't want to listen to anti-christian music. I believe in God and while a portion of my music doesn't focus on God (which is fine), I don't want to be singing the words to something that is in extreme opposition and attacks it. Moreover, I don't want to be singing something literally pro-evil. Like you said before, it's unnecessary. Take care!
[/quote]

Im much more ambivalent about message in music, however there are the odd bands that cross the line with me. still, wanted to try and help some fellow christians out with a new and unfamiliar music genre :) glad its helped you out.

Stylistically, im much more into technical death metal now. stuff like this
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7FAIT4T82Q[/media]
my mind is really drawn towards the highly technical chaotic stuff :D and it has a brilliant solo section. far from my favorite band, but agood tune.

and slowing it down for some darker melodic stuff like Graveyard Dirt
love the melody in this song.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEWFMNUfL3c[/media]

Catholic Folk Metal of Poland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn6Ou3JTPqQ&feature=BFp&list=WL0E425ECEA6257FD3&index=5

Edited by ruso

A real Catholic Priest, Father Jony, hard Rock of Spain, very orthodox the letter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fThoin1x9lU

Edited by ruso

Orthodox Folk Death-Metal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93kQXY-NWf0&feature=BFp&list=WL0E425ECEA6257FD3&index=6

Winchester

[quote name='Heir Apparent' timestamp='1306239168' post='2245330']
[/quote]
awe[i][/i]some

I don't see the problem, n00b.

[quote name='ruso' timestamp='1306630375' post='2247184']
Catholic Folk Metal of Poland.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn6Ou3JTPqQ&feature=BFp&list=WL0E425ECEA6257FD3&index=5"]http://www.youtube.c...6257FD3&index=5[/url]
[/quote]

This was pretty dang good!

[quote name='ruso' timestamp='1306630701' post='2247186']
Orthodox Folk Death-Metal

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93kQXY-NWf0&feature=BFp&list=WL0E425ECEA6257FD3&index=6"]http://www.youtube.c...6257FD3&index=6[/url]
[/quote]

but this, this was amesome, some of the better folk metal i have ever heard :D