An Old School Catholic Message Board

Knights Of Columbus Third Degree Ceremony

Pliny

The purpose of the secret is so that it doesn't spoil it for the new members who are supposed to go to the "ceremony" unaware of what it's in store for them, or at least that's the rationale.

I believe that it serves a further purpose by appealing to the need for some to be a part of a secret club.

I agree that there is something "lol" about it, and I would not be very popular among my Knight friends in real life if I exposed it, but I frankly feel like I'm the boy who is stating the obvious--that the emperor is not wearing any clothes.

The beauty of our faith is that there are many diverse organizations and orders that appeal to different kind of people. So, the Knights may not be your thing. God made us all different, so it would be odd if 100% of people all were in to the same thing. Let's not ruin it or condemn the people who really do get something out of the third degree ceremony.

Mr. Pliny, It seems that you have joined Phatmass to discuss only controversial topics you feel are so and have a personal agenda. I wasn't surprised to see you started this thread. (This is merely an observation and not a direct attack)

sacredheartandbloodofjesus

[quote name='dUSt' date='17 December 2009 - 10:35 AM' timestamp='1261064146' post='2022250']
The beauty of our faith is that there are many diverse organizations and orders that appeal to different kind of people. So, the Knights may not be your thing. God made us all different, so it would be odd if 100% of people all were in to the same thing. Let's not ruin it or condemn the people who really do get something out of the third degree ceremony.
[/quote]

cool avatar Dust.

[quote name='the_rev' date='17 December 2009 - 10:32 AM' timestamp='1261071178' post='2022298']
Mr. Pliny, It seems that you have joined Phatmass to discuss only controversial topics you feel are so and have a personal agenda. I wasn't surprised to see you started this thread. (This is merely an observation and not a direct attack)
[/quote]

I joined to discuss issues that concern me. Is it wrong if they are controversial? How is a disagreement an "agenda"? And what if it were an "agenda"? You would rather I remain silent about those things I think are wrong?

And what is controversial about questioning the body/soul relationship, which is my primary intresest at the moment? That's not an agenda, but a desire to understand.

And how is it a "personal agenda" to make silly posts in the Lame Forum?

I think you're mistaken in your use of the word "only."

Anyway, as a newb, it's nice to meet you. Thanks for the warm welcome. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif[/img]

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='17 December 2009 - 11:18 AM' timestamp='1261073883' post='2022329']
This kind of discussion should be done between Knights. I suggest you take Kris up on his offer.
[/quote]

I disagree, but thanks for the suggestion.

And I am willing to discuss it privately and have done so. It's not an either/or situation.

It's not just about the K of C, but about a principle.

Anyway...may I return the favor and suggest that you don't read this thread anymore?

[quote name='dUSt' date='17 December 2009 - 08:35 AM' timestamp='1261064146' post='2022250']
[/quote]

I have "condemned" no one. I have not criticized the Knights of Colombus.

I have questioned and criticized the Third Degree Ceremony.

HisChildForever

[quote name='Pliny' date='17 December 2009 - 01:34 PM' timestamp='1261074890' post='2022342']
I disagree, but thanks for the suggestion.

And I am willing to discuss it privately and have done so. It's not an either/or situation.

It's not just about the K of C, but about a principle.

Anyway...may I return the favor and suggest that you don't read this thread anymore?
[/quote]

Since Knights are not allowed to give any information about the ceremony, no one can possibly understand this "principle" you are arguing. Except a Knight.

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='17 December 2009 - 01:18 PM' timestamp='1261073883' post='2022329']
This kind of discussion should be done between Knights. I suggest you take Kris up on his offer.
[/quote]

Partially the reason why I made my earlier comment. This thread is a complete disregard of the secrecy of the Fraternal Order of the Knights of Columbus. For what it's worth, I personally didn't like it and the Knights of Columbus really aren't my cup of tea. Probably because of my home council that bickers about the Church and our parish priest at all the meetings. The Knights as a whole, internationally is a great organization doing good charitable work in support of vocations to the priesthood.

[quote name='the_rev' date='17 December 2009 - 12:46 PM' timestamp='1261079165' post='2022373']
Partially the reason why I made my earlier comment. This thread is a complete disregard of the secrecy of the Fraternal Order of the Knights of Columbus. For what it's worth, I personally didn't like it and the Knights of Columbus really aren't my cup of tea. Probably because of my home council that bickers about the Church and our parish priest at all the meetings. The Knights as a whole, internationally is a great organization doing good charitable work in support of vocations to the priesthood.
[/quote]

Why should the secrecy be "regarded"?

I don't see why anyone should be bound to keep a sercret he did not bargain for, especially if he sees himself as a "victim" instead of a participant. ("Victim" might be too strong...just saying that for want of a better word).

I think there is a cult mentality that wants to protect these "secrets."

I don't judge all the K of C by my parish, either, and have nothing against them, and am happy for whatever good works they do.

But my home parish K of C meetings are so lame, and so self-indulgent for a few of the members, that they are a total waste of time. I would rather go through another Third Degree than attend one of their meetings. Even though I don't like it, at least it would be interesting.