An Old School Catholic Message Board

Knights Of Columbus Third Degree Ceremony

Pliny

Kevin lyon

I had multiple people on my council say they wanted to "warn" me of what was coming in this ceremony, but couldn't because of the "oath". So, at a minimum this is much more common than you believe. I have resigned from the knights as a result of them allowing this practice. But thanks for your advice. There are other ways to serve than in an organization that indulges in medieval ceremonies.

Thanks for your advice though. I am living a full life... outside of the "brotherhood"

Kevin lyon

For the record, I have spoken to several knights about this ceremony. They are all very much aware of my feelings on the subject and how little respect I have for such practices.

You take care now. God Bless.

38 minutes ago, Kevin lyon said:

I had multiple people on my council say they wanted to "warn" me of what was coming in this ceremony, but couldn't because of the "oath". So, at a minimum this is much more common than you believe. I have resigned from the knights as a result of them allowing this practice. But thanks for your advice. There are other ways to serve than in an organization that indulges in medieval ceremonies.

Thanks for your advice though. I am living a full life... outside of the "brotherhood"

I'm really confused with some of the things you're saying.  We were talking about your main concern which was the shaming/insulting those in the group. Are you saying that this is a common practice?  I don't think you are saying this because I'm pretty sure you believe that shaming/insulting someone for not knowing the 10 Commandments is not something that is endorsed by the Knights  as an official organization.

Now, because of what you've written here, I'm getting a different idea of what your main difficulty is. It seems to me that there are other things that you don't understand about the ceremony… It's an act, nothing to be alarmed at. It means nothing really.  It's  not medieval, it's not masonic. A little strange for some? Sure. But you are resigning because of the exemplification in and of itself. The insulting just solidified your decision. That's what I'm getting from your posts.

Now that said, sure, it's not for everyone and you are free to serve in another organization if you wish and that's cool.

Kevin lyon

Yes. that is exactly what happened in my 3rd degree ceremony and many of my former brother knights ceremony. it was absolutely ridiculous, so I decided to find other ways to serve. Common enough practice that I was told they wanted to warn me in advance, but couldn't due to the oath of secrecy garbage. This is plenty of reason for me to insist that I be removed from the roles of the knights (which i did several years ago... my 3rd degree was in 2013. I hope that clears thing up.

20 minutes ago, Kevin lyon said:

Yes. that is exactly what happened in my 3rd degree ceremony and many of my former brother knights ceremony. it was absolutely ridiculous, so I decided to find other ways to serve. Common enough practice that I was told they wanted to warn me in advance, but couldn't due to the oath of secrecy garbage. This is plenty of reason for me to insist that I be removed from the roles of the knights (which i did several years ago... my 3rd degree was in 2013. I hope that clears thing up.

No, I'm afraid it really adds to my confusion.  Are you saying that many of your former Kights experienced being insulted in the ceremony? and that they warned you about the possibility of being insulted? I'm pretty sure that insulting folks for  any reason is definitely not common practice, and indeed should not be tolerated.

Another thing, this happened in 2013 but is still bothering you, even though you have since resigned and moved on?

Edited by Seven77

Kevin lyon

Yes. They did. At the time it was a common enough practice in my area (ceremony was given to knights across several councils). After the ceremony I was appalled which was quite obvious, and was told by multiple people who had the same experience (knights from my council that attended my 3rd degree) that they wanted to warn me but couldn't ... because of that asinine oath. For them the nonsense was something they thought they needed to endure in order to be a part of all the good works the knights do. Keep in mind that I had just gone through RCIA as a convert, and was incredibly excited to be a Catholic and the knights were the first catholic org I was a part of. It was quite a disappointment and took me years to regain that excitement for my faith. I fear this is or has happened to other converts, some of which could leave the church. I am still a bit angry about the whole thing (in case that is not obvoius)..

Kevin lyon

If you can't understand why this experience had a lasting affect on someone (considering I was new to the church) then perhaps we should end this dialogue. You take care. 

No, I understand that a difficult experience can have lasting effect on someone. I am just not fully clear as to the details of experience, what went down, etc. But at any rate it doesn't really matter. Anyway, I can appreciate how it could definitely be problematic for you as convert to Catholicism because, although nobody yelled at us, there was something about exemplification that took me aback at first but after a while I could see the context and  I thought the whole thing was, at worst, possibly unnecessarily dramatic.

I'm sorry if I came off kind of unsympathetic In earlier posts.

• 5 months later...

I heard that there are people posing as priests, doctors, and "recruits".

Somebody acts drunk, the priest is combative, and all sorts of play-acting. This couldn't possibly be true..correct?

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 2:17 PM, Kevin lyon said:

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 3:27 PM, gmc21444 said:

I heard that there are people posing as priests, doctors, and "recruits".

Somebody acts drunk, the priest is combative, and all sorts of play-acting. This couldn't possibly be true..correct?