An Old School Catholic Message Board

I've Been Ordered To Leave

hyperdulia again

Jake Huether

Ahh, and the devision begins.

Remember when Christ said not to pull up the weeds with the wheat? Well, I think the wheat is ripe in season and the weeds are going to uproot themselves!

I think it's great!

**before you go all bullistic on me, let me explain. I'm not against homosexuals. I'm against open active gay sins.**

Look here: This call to leave the Church will only reap amesome fruit!

It isn't good at all that ANYONE should leave. But on the other hand there will be a great purification of our Church. This call to leave will, of course, only fall on the ears of those who would leave ANYWAY. While those who refuse to listen to the Church leave, those who stay grow stronger. Kind of like when you evaporate the water from your stew. Our Church will grow stronger and more concentrated.

While this call appears to be an attack on the Church, I have a sneaky suspicion that it will backfire. What it really is is a call for actively gay people to either renounce their faith (or whatever faith they have left), or renounce their lifestyle! This is a great choice! It is what the Church has been trying to do anyway. And now we have the secular world HELPING the Church. How? They are helping to draw a CLEAR line between HOT and COLD. There will no longer be lukewarm (which our SAVIOR HATES). You're either for the Church or against it.

Sweet!

The Church doesn't need active gays to misrepresent her anyway! It isn't the Church that needs us! WE NEED THE CHURCH. It is to their benefit to stay. But it's to the benefit of those devout Catholics (and to the Church) that those who would try to damage them (and her) should leave!

Jake Huether

Does this mean I'm supposed to leave as well?  :o

Oh dear...  :blink:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Humans... you gotta love them.

They come up with the most intresting things sometimes.

Never let it be said that life is boring.

No.

Somehow I don't think their target audience is devout Catholics with homosexual tendancies.

I think their target audience are those actively and openly gay individuals who use the Catholic name for their own selfish reasons anyway.

I will pray for those people named (Rosie, et al).

But as a note: I don't think it hurt them to leave - quite the contrary, I'll bet it was (seemingly) "liberating". The conscience is a funny thing... You feel so free when you don't have one! :P

cmotherofpirl

In some respects this is the same as what the Church is saying to Catholic politicians. If you use the name Catholic, obey the Church or be honest enough to leave.

hyperdulia again

Two of the three people that I mentioned have children, that they are taking out of the Church.

And Andrew's a large part of why I didn't leave during/after the molestation scandals of '01 and '02. Everyone I named hhas publically come to the defennse of the Church before. It isn't a good thing that their leaving.

cmotherofpirl

Hyper the people in the article are a bunch of jerks.

If they leave the Lord of the Universe and His church because they are asked not to sin in a certain way, how serious were they ever about being Catholic?

Does not the Church call all of us to give up our own particular sin? If she ever stopped telling us to sin, would she still be the Catholic Church? Would that not be the end of the world?

hyperdulia again

She said something in the Village Voice about how the media was wrong for blaming the Pope for the molestation crisis, not the same thing as defending, but not the same thing as attacking.

hyperdulia again

Hyper the people in the article are a bunch of jerks.

If they leave the Lord of the Universe and His church  because they are asked not to sin in a certain way, how serious were they ever about being Catholic?

Does not the Church call all of us to give up our own particular sin? If she ever stopped telling us to sin, would she still be the Catholic Church? Would that not be the end of the world?

true enough, true enough.

cmotherofpirl

Hyper you might like this guy Andy but he is dead wrong on several of the blogs he wrote. He supports Kerrys attack on the Church.

Sen. John F. Kerry yesterday said Pope John Paul II ``crossed the line'' by instructing pols to block legalization of gay marriage.

A fuming Kerry, taking on his own Catholic Church in the midst of a campaign for president, said Rome should have more respect for America's long-held separation of church and state.

``It is important not to have the church instructing politicians. That is an inappropriate crossing of the line in this country,'' Kerry said. ``President Kennedy drew that line very clearly in 1960 and I believe we need to stand up for that line today.''

The Democrat said political concerns are secondary to his moral outrage over Thursday's Vatican statement on gay marriage.

``Our founding fathers separated church and state in America. It is an important separation,'' he said. ``It is part of what makes America different and special, and we need to honor that as we go forward and I'm going to fight to do that.''

Catholics were stunned at the broadside from Kerry, saying he's sure to draw the ire of some 65 million voting Catholics.

``What one often calls separation of church and state guarantees the religion the right to express its convictions,'' said Monsignor Francis Maniscalco of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops. ``To object to religious people's deep moral convictions . . . would also create a problem because it would also (fail to) recognize something the First Amendment guarantees.''

Former Vatican Ambassador Raymond Flynn said Kerry was just wrong. ``I don't see it as crossing any line at all,'' Flynn said. ``Too many Catholic politicians want to have it both ways, they want the Catholic vote but then they go ahead and ignore Catholic teaching.''

The Vatican injected itself into the simmering gay marriage debate Thursday, firing off a letter issuing instructions to Catholic politicians to oppose any legalization efforts.

``The Catholic lawmaker has a moral duty to express his opposition (to gay marriage laws) clearly and publicly and to vote against it,'' the directive read. ``To vote in favor of a law so harmful to the common good is gravely immoral.''

The statement followed by a day strong comments from President Bush denouncing gay marriage proposals.

Kerry, who supports civil unions but opposes the legalization of same-sex marriage, took pains to say, ``I believe in the church'' and ``care about it enormously'' but said church leaders went too far.

Alone among Democrats in criticizing the church, Kerry said he didn't weigh the political impact of his statement.

``This isn't a matter of political calculation, it's simply a matter of strong personal beliefs,'' Kerry said.

The Democratic senator also railed against Republicans who this week said Democratic efforts to block the judicial nomination of Alabama Attorney General William H. Pryor were anti-Catholic. One group, the Ave Maria List, ran print ads equating Democrats' opposition to Pryor as saying ``Catholics need not apply'' to the federal judiciary.

``That couldn't be further from the truth. This judge is not a good judge,'' Kerry said. ``He should not be appointed to the court, and many of us who are Catholic voted against him without regard to Catholicism.''

Kerry also continued his criticism of Bush's ``faith-based'' programs, saying he would end government funding to any religious group.

The White House and Kerry's opponents declined comment.

But the Republican National Committee blamed the sudden attack on the growing popularity of Kerry opponent, former Vermont Gov. Howard Dean.

``It seems like a very odd political strategy to attack the Catholic Church but Howard Dean is forcing Sen. Kerry to take a number of odd positions on a number of odd issues,'' said RNC spokeswoman Christine Iverson.

Kerry and Andy are dead wrong on this issue. If you say you are a Catholic politican, and look for the Catholic vote you better uphold the teachings of the Church. You are a CATHOLIC before you are a Republican , Domocrat or American.

hyperdulia again

i didn't say he was right about everything, or even the kind of catholic we should consider to be a role model, but he did keep me in when i was about to get out.

DONAHUE: Now our church finds itself in the worst scandal in its history. I’m having trouble processing all of this.

O’DONNELL: And you should. Every human should. Every priest should. Every spiritual person should. You cannot hide behind the cloak of the Catholic church and accept-expect to be exempt from the laws of nature and God. You can’t. And this is a disgrace that has gone generations back. And you know what? It needs to be out in the forefront. I really hope that the Catholic church gets sued until the end of time. Maybe, you know, we can melt down some of the gold toilets in the pope’s Vatican and pay off some of the lawsuits because, you know, frankly, the whole tenet of Christianity, of being pious, of living a Christ-like life, has been lost in Catholicism, I believe. And this whole scandal is so devastating spiritually, emotionally, physically, and it’s going to be financially for the Catholic church, as well.

DONAHUE: Are you raising your kids Catholic?

O’DONNELL: No.

DONAHUE: Well, I think you speak for a growing number of Catholics. It’s the nature of what’s happening right now. You know, I think of my parents. And I want my parents to be here, as we all do. If there is any redeeming value here, my mother never saw this. And I am so grateful.

O’DONNELL: Yes.

DONAHUE: I mean, the church was the center of our lives.

O’DONNELL: Yes. The whole life.

DONAHUE: Monsignor. And then when the monsignor would come and visit, you remember?

O’DONNELL: At your house. Whoa!

DONAHUE: That was visitation day.

DONAHUE: And it was about money. You-you know...

O’DONNELL: Of course.

DONAHUE: Oh, my God. The priest-and my mother for three weeks cleaning the house before the priest got-monsignor-monsignor-and there’d always be a little kid in the corner, you know, would say, Poopy, you know, or something...

DONAHUE: ... when the monsignor was there.

O’DONNELL: Oh, my Lord!

DONAHUE: Whoa! Man! I mean, people would be diving behind the couch!

O’DONNELL: You know, what’s...

DONAHUE: Holy cow!

O’DONNELL: ... interesting is that I’m not-I was forced to go to Catholic church every Sunday of my life. I used to hide at Jackie Ellard’s (ph) pool, trying not to go to church. But you know, I don’t bring our kids to church at all. But it’s funny, because my 7-year-old is overtly spiritual and connects-he got a toddler Bible from Kelly’s mother. And he says to me at night-I go-I go, OK, pick a book. What do you want? Oh, I think I’ll take the toddler Bible. What do you think, Mom, Old Testament or New Testament?

(LAUGHTER)

DONAHUE: Wow!

O’DONNELL: I go, You know what, Clark? I don’t know the difference. He goes, Old testament is before the birth of Jesus Christ. You know, the rainbow is God’s promise to Noah? The kid is, like, channeling some sort of Billy Graham! You know, every time he sees anything related to the Bible, he’s-it’s pretty amazing.

I lost a lot of respect for Rosie after seeing this interview.