An Old School Catholic Message Board

Any Good Seminaries

IrishG8s

The University of Dallas has a seminary, but if I were you, I'd consider other places as well. :) The thing I like about our seminary is the spiritual guidance priest there...but after Bishop Joseph Gallante left...well, it's not quite as good anymore. :sadder:

My name is Derrick Flannigan and I am a second year college seminarian studying for the Archdiocese of St. Louis, Missouri. Kenrick-Glennon Seminary, the seminary I attend, is very nice and we have many men from many other dioceses. I would suggest looking at this one.

In Christ and Mary,

Derrick Flannigan

JP2Iloveyou

I am currently studying at St. John Vianney In St. Paul, Minnesota. It is a fantastic place, completely faithful to the magisterium and the Holy Father. I also have some strong ties to the Diocese of Lincoln, Nebraska. The bishop there, Fabian Bruskewitz, is know for his strident orthodoxy, fidelity to Rome, and his firmness. Many have mentioned Our Lady of Guadaloupe. It is a good place, I know at least one man who was there, he may not be any more, I don't know for sure. Anyway, they do teach the Tridentine Mass, but it is the Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter, which is completely approved and supported by Rome. Other than that, I don't know much about OLG. There is another college seminary run by the Diocese of Lincoln, St. Gregory the Great in Seward, but they have just opened within the last six or seven years and there are only about four dioceses that send there. Three of them are Cheyanne, WY, Rockford, IL, and Lincoln. I'm not sure about the fourth. In any event, it is a fantastic college seminary as well.

In terms of major seminary in the United States, some good ones that immediately come to mind are Mount St. Mary's in Emmetsburgh, Maryland, St. Charles Borromeo in Philadelphia, the Josephenum in Ohio (Scott Hahn is a guest professor there), St. John Vianney in Denver, Kennrick-Glennon in St. Louis, and I've also heard a lot of good things about St. Meinrad's School of Theology in Indiana.

By and large, I think a lot of the dissent in seminaries is clearly on the way out. Do some checking, but I think most places will be much better and more faithful than they were even five or ten years ago.

I'm actually going to St. Gregory the Great next year for college seminary for the Rockford Diocese. I visited there last fall and it's awesome. They have a very balanced organized schedule and they are very orthodox. Their chapel is phenomenal. They have a good staff there too. I am looking forward to next fall...

[quote name='JP2Iloveyou' date='Apr 17 2004, 04:44 PM'] There is another college seminary run by the Diocese of Lincoln, St. Gregory the Great in Seward, but they have just opened within the last six or seven years and there are only about four dioceses that send there. Three of them are Cheyanne, WY, Rockford, IL, and Lincoln. I'm not sure about the fourth. In any event, it is a fantastic college seminary as well.

[/quote]
I think the fourth is in Texas...

popestpiusx

[quote name='JP2Iloveyou' date='Apr 17 2004, 05:44 PM'] I've also heard a lot of good things about St. Meinrad's School of Theology in Indiana.

[/quote]
Please tell me you are joking.

popestpiusx

I know it has improved a little. However, I just got a course catalogue from them for their masters program. There is still some pretty wacky stuff going on there.

Here are some examples:

Intro to Liturgy
This course is designed to provide a general understanding of the principles of liturgical theology in the Roman Catholic tradition. The Second Vatican Council’s Constitution on the Liturgy provides the primary structure for the course’s themes and readings. Students will study the principal themes and values found in the Constitution and throughout the history of the Church. They will study the meaning of the “spirit of the liturgy,” the “spirit of the renewal,” and full, conscious and active participation in the liturgy. Taught from a pastoral perspective, the course will introduce students to the practice of mystagogical reflection.

Catholic Social Ethics
This course aims to provide the theory for the praxis of fostering a Community of Liberation in the new moral life. The course will synthesize, on the one hand, the teaching from Scripture, tradition and magisterium with, on the other hand, contemporary, scientifically aware, historically conscious, ecumenically sensitive and culturally inclusive perspectives on Catholic social ethics. Specific issues and their pastoral applications will be discussed.

Women in Early Christianity
This seminar focuses on the role of women in the early Church during the second through fourth centuries by focusing on texts such as Church orders, Apocryphal Acts, and Ascetic Literature and by reading books by Elaine Pagels, Karen Jo Torjesen, Ross Shepard Kraemer, and Peter Brown, as well as Henry Chadwick’s The Early Church: The Penguin History of the Church 1.

(The key to understanding why that last one is bad is knowing who those authors are.)

That's just three courses and there are many more. I would personally avoid Meinrad like the plague. On the other hand, it could be kind of fun :thinking: .

Edited by popestpiusx

JP2Iloveyou

all I know about Meinrad is that my former bishop, who I respect as being very orthodox was willing to send men there. He is very selective about the seminaries he sends to and I trust his judgment.

Also, you are correct, the fourth diocese that uses St. Greg's is in Texas, but among the dioceses in Texas, I'm not sure which it is.

popestpiusx

Judge a tree by its fruit. Of the 20 or thirty priests that I know from Mienrad, maybe one or two qualify as semi-orthodox. Most have defficient theology especially when it comes to moral. Sacramental theology is weak, at best. Liturgically (and I am not even talking about the Trid. MAss here) the situation is very very bleak. I just haven't seen the good fruit. Yes, they are improving. God Bless thm for that. But the problems abound.

[quote name='JP2Iloveyou' date='Apr 20 2004, 09:58 AM'] all I know about Meinrad is that my former bishop, who I respect as being very orthodox was willing to send men there. He is very selective about the seminaries he sends to and I trust his judgment.

Also, you are correct, the fourth diocese that uses St. Greg's is in Texas, but among the dioceses in Texas, I'm not sure which it is. [/quote]
That's surprising because we have two here. Well, I should say somewhat surprising...

I'm not sure either, but I bet I can find out for you guys.

HomeTeamFamily

any seminary in Charlotte NC........

sorry thats a shameless plug to try and get some cool seminarians in my dioscese lol

I've known several wonderful priests and seminarians from Mount St. Mary's in Emmitsburg, MD and St. Vincent's in Latrobe, PA.

As a seminarian at Saint John Vianney sem in St Paul I take offense to the statments above about OLG seminary in Nebraksa being the only good and real seminary as if the other seminaries who use Novus Ordo are horrible and wrong. I hate to remind you but our Holy Father has approved the Novus Ordo Mass. It is perfectly ok and condoned by the Vatican and as I can admit the Tridentine litrugy is amazing I think both are valid and beautiful.

The arogance in this post rots of satan.

St Meinard has changed and it is now fine. I know many seminarians who go there who are orthodox.

Pax

JMJ
4/22 - Second Thursday of Easter

Meinrad has only been kind to me in the past. I know a number of the priests there, as well as many of the seminarians, and I have full confidence that the men who are trying to let themselves be formed into good priests will be good priests. Israel is returning to the covenant, so let her.