An Old School Catholic Message Board

Your Prayer Schedule?

melporcristo

loveletslive

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='02 January 2010 - 02:05 AM' timestamp='1262415918' post='2028498']
I try to keep my prayer schedule as consistent as possible, but the nature of university life makes it a little bit difficult. I try do at least 2 of the 3 major hours within the LOTH. So, some days it might be both Morning and Evening prayer. Others it might be Morning and Night prayer. Evening and Night prayer. And on good days I get all three in.

Besides the LOTH, I also make a holy hour each day. When I do it usually varies, though I'm hoping to stick to a consistent time this semester.

I almost always have a book for spiritual reading, but I don't necessarily take time for it each. And a few days a week I try to do a rosary.

I'd really like to make a better plan and commitment for this semester.
[/quote]

ah i am so impressed you get all this into your day as a college student! i've tried praying morning prayer as i am on my way to class in the mornings but i am usually so exhausted i just give up.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='loveletslive' date='04 January 2010 - 06:02 PM' timestamp='1262642544' post='2029639']
ah i am so impressed you get all this into your day as a college student! i've tried praying morning prayer as i am on my way to class in the mornings but i am usually so exhausted i just give up.
[/quote]

I've found that praying with friends is helpful in starting the habit... For me, one of my good friends and I would meet three times a week in the morning to pray Morning Prayer together before going to class. Since we both expected each other to be there, there was a sort of accountability in making sure we woke up those 15 minutes early.

Same goes with Evening prayer or even the rosary. To be honest, the only time I really consistently pray the rosary is when I pray it with a friend.

But, the most important part of my prayer life, besides Mass, is making sure I my holy hour (or holy 45 minutes, as sometimes happens). That can be the most difficult to make sure it gets done. But it's also the part of the day that I look forward to the most. I'd really like to start doing it in the mornings, to start my day off right. But generally I don't get around to it until late at night. Sometimes 11 or 11:30pm.

AccountDeleted

Another thing you might want to consider throughout the day is to set your cell phone alarm to ring at noon and 6pm for the Angelus and at 3pm for a few moments of Adoration (on vibrate if you are in class). It is so nice to stop for a moment just to pray. :pray:

Beware of false consolation!

Example

St. Ignatius was in a classroom - listening to the teacher, etc. etc. then he felt the urge to pray. He couldn't concentrate to his teacher and he became so confused. He might have thought, "God wants me to pray but how am I going to study well?" Then he realized that he's not urged by God to pray that time. He realized that God wants him to listen to his teacher.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='tnavarro61' date='05 January 2010 - 11:44 PM' timestamp='1262695472' post='2030153']
Beware of false consolation!

Example

St. Ignatius was in a classroom - listening to the teacher, etc. etc. then he felt the urge to pray. He couldn't concentrate to his teacher and he became so confused. He might have thought, "God wants me to pray but how am I going to study well?" Then he realized that he's not urged by God to pray that time. He realized that God wants him to listen to his teacher.
[/quote]

St Ignatius was an interesting character, he even "negotiated" with God about his prayer time. We aren't all St Ignatius and need to find what works for us.

If I felt the urge to pray in class, I would pray, mentally. I would say "Dear Lord, I am in class and need to focus on what my teacher is telling me. Please grant me the grace to do this so that my work may glorify you. Amen"

Mel, thank you so much for starting this thread! I have been stumped with the same question recently, and this thread is so helpful! :)

oops, I was so happy to read everyone else's responses that I completely forgot to add my own! :doh:

I'm still trying to figure out what works best, but I try to do either morning or evening prayer each day (both is a really good day!) and then a meditation on the Gospel. I got a book, called [url="http://www.catholicfreeshipping.com/Products/cfs_mymeongobyre.html"]"My Meditation on the Gospel" by Rev. James E. Sullivan[/url]. It's been a good starting place for my meditation time. My prayer life had kind of disintegrated into basically nothing, so now I'm trying to build it back up again. I was putting my main focus into LOTH, but I decided to switch and make sure I got in a meditation time every day instead.

I think I found a priest to be my spiritual director, too, so hopefully I'll be getting a little more guidance on how to move forward from here. :)

Sister Rose Therese

I can't remember the exact quote but St. Teresa thought that some time in mental prayer was an absolute necessity for the spiritual life.

When I was discerning I made sure that I read from the bible, a meditative reading, and prayed the rosary every day. I had a few other prayers/ chaplets that I prayed regularly. I went to daily Mass and adoration whenever I could. Sometimes I prayed evening prayer from the liturgy of the hours.

I have seen the Magnificat prayer book. It looks quite good. It had a shortened version of morning and evening prayer, I think, and it also had the Mass readings and had a short commentary on the readings for the day. If I remember right, their website shows samples.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Sister Rose Therese' date='06 January 2010 - 03:55 PM' timestamp='1262753714' post='2030654']
I can't remember the exact quote but St. Teresa thought that some time in mental prayer was an absolute necessity for the spiritual life.

When I was discerning I made sure that I read from the bible, a meditative reading, and prayed the rosary every day. I had a few other prayers/ chaplets that I prayed regularly. I went to daily Mass and adoration whenever I could. Sometimes I prayed evening prayer from the liturgy of the hours.

I have seen the Magnificat prayer book. It looks quite good. It had a shortened version of morning and evening prayer, I think, and it also had the Mass readings and had a short commentary on the readings for the day. If I remember right, their website shows samples.
[/quote]

Oh yes, Sister, absolutely 100% agreement with that one! While a lot of prayer is talking to God, mental prayer is listening for God, and it feeds the soul in a totally different way. Adoration in front of the Blessed Sacrament can also include mental prayer, although some people like to read or pray the Rosary at this time.

My favorite time is just being alone with the Beloved in a state of loving attentiveness and letting Him speak to my heart. :love:

melporcristo

[quote name='morostheos' date='05 January 2010 - 08:56 PM' timestamp='1262750189' post='2030592']

I think I found a priest to be my spiritual director, too, so hopefully I'll be getting a little more guidance on how to move forward from here. :)
[/quote]

Yay!!

Yes, I called a priest friend for guidance last week and he gave me the smack down. He basically said I was "barely getting by". Setting aside feeling sorry for myself, I realized how true it has been! And its easy for me to just turn around and blame something silly like my secular job (barista at a cafe & librarian at a 2nd chance high school).

I know many of us have different aspects and ways of praying ... but I'm happy you all are posting because it helps us persevere. Also, Someone mentioned praying in groups is very helpful - AGREED!! Plus, I think there's a partial indulgence (at least if you pray a rosary in a group of 2 or more).

Edited by melporcristo

Prayer in the morning asking God to help me throughout the day, and one in the evening as a brief act of contrition and praying for family. I also pray the Rosary daily before bed, and at times I meditate on Scripture. If I had time go to Daily Mass, and daily Eucharistic Adoration, I would. I'd also try to squeeze in some of the LOTH, but since I work, and also go to bi-weekly faithsharing/Rosary groups, weekly Bible Study, and other group study sessions (the new Mass translations, comparing the Old and New Testaments about Jesus founding the Church) from one of our priests, it's kind of hard to fit that all in.

The book called "The Manual of Prayers" has a very beautiful set of morning and evening prayers that are shorter and less complicated than the LotH. I used them for a while.

One prayer I love - & try to do every night before literally laying down to sleep - is the Chaplet of the Sacred Heart:

[url="http://www.catholicdoors.com/prayers/chaplets/chap55.htm"]chaplet[/url]

It's a prayer Jesus can't refuse, & I believe it has opened my heart to be more in love with His Sacred Heart.

[quote name='Sister Rose Therese' date='05 January 2010 - 09:55 PM' timestamp='1262753714' post='2030654']I have seen the Magnificat prayer book. It looks quite good. It had a shortened version of morning and evening prayer, I think, and it also had the Mass readings and had a short commentary on the readings for the day. If I remember right, their website shows samples.[/quote]
though i only use the Magnificat book for Mass readings and the reflections, they also include essays, blessings, prayer at night, hymn of the month, and always a painting and reflection on the painting in the back. it is well worth the $6 every month (i think it's less if you have a subscription).

[quote name='melporcristo' date='05 January 2010 - 11:29 PM' timestamp='1262759369' post='2030701'] Also, Someone mentioned praying in groups is very helpful - AGREED!! Plus, I think there's a partial indulgence (at least if you pray a rosary in a group of 2 or more).
[/quote]
inviting the saints (particularly your patron saints) and the angels to pray with you is praying in a group. :)

TeresaBenedicta

I'm finding, whilst at home, that time doesn't seem to be much of a factor as to whether or not I pray regularly. At school I have a fairly consistent prayer life that, at it's bare minimum, includes daily Mass and a holy hour. Despite being an extremely busy college student.

But when I'm home, when I have all the time in the world, I find that I hardly pray at all. Most days it's [i]either[/i] Mass or a holy hour. Sometimes neither. I don't even get in the LOTH most days. Laziness, I suppose. There's no real excuse.