An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pre-Religious Life "bucket List"

magnificat

I'm interested in seeing what others who are discerning would want to do before entering religious life - whether it's serious or fun. Ideas?

laetitia crucis

Hmmm... winning the lottery would be nice. That way I could pay off my school loans and pay for the expenses of getting to the convent. And I'd try to help out my family with their financial woes. Then I'd give the rest to the [url="http://www.fundforvocations.org"]Mater Ecclesiae Fund for Vocations[/url]. :))

I'd like to go to Disneyworld, too. I've never been. Haha!

Okay. So, seriously... :thinks: ... I recently fell across this:[url="http://www.passionistnuns.org/blog/?p=47"]"Bride of Christ" bridal shower[/url]. I think I'd want to do that. :yes: And I'd try to spend as much time as possible with family and friends before entering.

Maria Faustina

Win a basketball/volleyball/softball championship in high school
Take voice lessons
Learn to play guitar
Visit Europe
Workout/ get really awesome muscles and a six pack lol
Go snowboarding
:))

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='02 January 2010 - 05:21 PM' timestamp='1262478088' post='2028775']
Hmmm... winning the lottery would be nice. That way I could pay off my school loans and pay for the expenses of getting to the convent. And I'd try to help out my family with their financial woes. Then I'd give the rest to the [url="http://www.fundforvocations.org"]Mater Ecclesiae Fund for Vocations[/url]. :))

[/quote]

Amen!

I second that! From the lottery to the helping family to giving the rest to a vocations fund.

TeresaBenedicta

Sometimes, whislt doing various activities, I can't help but think "this might be the last time I do x."

But as for things that I would most definitely miss and/or want to accomplish before, God-willing, entering religious life...

Learn the violin or cello... probably [b]not[/b] going to happen, lol
Socially drinking with friends... obviously not to get drunk, but I do enjoy a few drinks with good friends/family
Attend a Seattle Mariner's baseball game
Shopping with my mom

And I second the winning the lottery idea! That would be quite helpful in regards to student loans.

melporcristo

JMJT

Record my first album.
Go visit my grandmother in Mexico.
Watch my best friend get married.
Get my teaching certificate.

brightsadness

[quote name='magnificat' date='02 January 2010 - 04:51 PM' timestamp='1262476319' post='2028766']
I'm interested in seeing what others who are discerning would want to do before entering religious life - whether it's serious or fun. Ideas?
[/quote]

This post is a grace for me. Because I have just realized that there is literally NOTHING I want to do before entering religious life.

Thank you.[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/blowkiss.gif[/img]

In my case I think God knew that if He was going to propose the cloistered life to me He better let me get all my worldly adventures out of my system first and so has allowed me do to do my bucket list. With all that done Im at the point where I can say ok God Im ready to do what you want.

Thanks for everyone's input/ideas so far. I'm in a position where I have some time & ability to put together a bucket list & do them before I enter...but I've been having a hard time coming up with things! I like the idea of a shower/party of some kind! :))

AccountDeleted

After I entered Carmel I thought I would never get to travel or see Paris (one place I really wanted to visit), but during my time at Carmel, I was sent to Paris for a day! So don't think that just because you are prepared to give up everything, that God hasn't got some surprises in store for you.

One Tyburn nun told me that she had travelled more since becoming a nun, than she did in all the years before!

Just something different to think about! I do like the idea of a shower though - that is very interesting! :rolleyes:

Go to London
Get my teaching certificate.
Go on at least 10 dates (not including prom)
Babysit some nice children.

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='02 January 2010 - 08:21 PM' timestamp='1262478088' post='2028775']
I'd like to go to Disneyworld, too. I've never been. Haha!
[/quote]

I did precisely just that before entering the convent the first time :-). I went with my mom, my sister, and my niece. We had the time of our lives -- especially with my mom who had never been before either.

I also went and visited with family in PR who I hadn't seen in years. Since I expected not to see them for a very long time I thought that this was important as well.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='magnificat' date='03 January 2010 - 09:15 PM' timestamp='1262567718' post='2029186']
Thanks for everyone's input/ideas so far. I'm in a position where I have some time & ability to put together a bucket list & do them before I enter...but I've been having a hard time coming up with things! I like the idea of a shower/party of some kind! :))
[/quote]

I think the shower/party is a pretty neat thing to do, especially if those who are dear to you are not familiar with the community you'll be entering or the life you'll be living. It's a good opportunity for apostolate even before you enter!! :)) And perhaps it will even bring some consolation to those that were/are unsure about your "radical" decision to become a religious. :console:

Plus, it sounds like a lot of fun, too!! :yahoo: