An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pre-Religious Life "bucket List"

magnificat

AccountDeleted

Depends on what kind of convent you are entering but being able to play something like the piano or organ is usually a good thing! We did have some nuns who could play guitar, and one could play the cello, but I can't see the trumpet really coming in all that handy! :) But then maybe that is why you would want to learn it before you enter, if you like it, you might not get much opportunity afterwards!

Another good thing to learn is sewing, hand sewing and machine sewing. There is usually a lot of mending or sewing to do. At recreation, a lot of the sisters would knit or crochet as well. Having a knack for craft work is usually good too.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='nunsense' date='08 January 2010 - 05:40 AM' timestamp='1262943653' post='2032405']
but I can't see the trumpet really coming in all that handy! :) But then maybe that is why you would want to learn it before you enter, if you like it, you might not get much opportunity afterwards!
[/quote]

Really?

I suppose it would depend on the community. But I would think that for special liturgies and feast days having a trumpet as part of the music would quite dandy. I always love in my parish when we add the trumpets (two- myself and one other) for the Gloria during Christmas and Easter-- quite a difference from the unaccompanied singing during Advent and Lent!

But, with smaller communities, I could see how something like that probably wouldn't happen.

Saint Therese

I used to have things I wanted to do before I entered. Now I want to give everything to Jesus, even those things I might want to do but maybe won't get a chance too. If I get to do some things, good, if not, even better.

I just tried to spend as much time with family and friends as possible. You will DEFINITELY be glad you did. Also, I spent the entire night after everyone went to bed before leaving home listening to my favorite Lifehouse, Jimmy Eat World, and Coldplay CDs for what might have been the last time. Haha, but that's just me.

Edited by Totus Tuus

[quote name='nunsense' date='08 January 2010 - 04:40 AM' timestamp='1262943653' post='2032405']
Depends on what kind of convent you are entering but being able to play something like the piano or organ is usually a good thing! We did have some nuns who could play guitar, and one could play the cello, but I can't see the trumpet really coming in all that handy! :) But then maybe that is why you would want to learn it before you enter, if you like it, you might not get much opportunity afterwards!

Another good thing to learn is sewing, hand sewing and machine sewing. There is usually a lot of mending or sewing to do. At recreation, a lot of the sisters would knit or crochet as well. Having a knack for craft work is usually good too.
[/quote]

I don't know - in my community EVERY possible talent was utilized, including playing some strange instruments.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='Totus Tuus' date='11 January 2010 - 07:35 PM' timestamp='1263252945' post='2035071']
I just tried to spend as much time with family and friends as possible. You will DEFINITELY be glad you did. Also, I spent the entire night after everyone went to bed before leaving home listening to my favorite Lifehouse, Jimmy Eat World, and Coldplay CDs for what might have been the last time. Haha, but that's just me.
[/quote]

I did the same thing with my CD collection, too! I thought the same thing, "This is the last time I'll EVER hear them!" :punk:

AccountDeleted

I watched all the old Man from UNCLE episodes I could find on youtube. I also ate at Taco Bell a lot, and Dunkin Donuts!

I know, pathetic.

[quote name='nunsense' date='11 January 2010 - 09:42 PM' timestamp='1263264140' post='2035139']
I watched all the old Man from UNCLE episodes I could find on youtube. I also ate at Taco Bell a lot, and Dunkin Donuts!

I know, pathetic.
[/quote]

No, not pathetic at all. It reminds me of when the main character of In This House of Brede goes to a pub and smokes a pack of cigarettes on her way to the monastery. haha!

TeresaBenedicta

I just watched [i]Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince[/i] and I realized... if I enter anytime in the near future, I won't be able to go to the midnight premier of the last two films!!! I've been to every single midnight premier. I very well may never see that last two films.

Sad day.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='13 January 2010 - 05:36 PM' timestamp='1263418566' post='2036409']
I just watched [i]Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince[/i] and I realized... if I enter anytime in the near future, I won't be able to go to the midnight premier of the last two films!!! I've been to every single midnight premier. I very well may never see that last two films.

Sad day.
[/quote]

:console:

AccountDeleted

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='14 January 2010 - 08:36 AM' timestamp='1263418566' post='2036409']

Sad day.
[/quote]

Well, you never know, maybe your community will have a video night and show them?? Some communities would never do this, but others just might! We watched [i]Around the World in 80 Days[/i] at Wolverhampton Carmel and [i]Scrooge[/i] at Edmonton! I don't know about HP though....

JMJ
I want to go on a two week European or Mexican cruise.[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/detective.gif[/img]
Then I want to go to Never and venerate the incorrupt body of Saint Bernadete.[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/signofcross.gif[/img]
After that, I want to go on the actual Bavarian swings in Bavaria (no, that is not a joke!) [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/twothumbsup.gif[/img]
Then I would like to go to Gyor and Budapest and see the different churches, and the Irish Madonna.[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/pray.gif[/img]
And then it's off to finish up my trip at Saint Peter's, and attend an audience with B-16 [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/pope.gif[/img]

Tridenteen

MC IMaGiNaZUN

Before entering Novitiate was the real big time to do a bunch of things for myself. Since Novitiate was in Wisconsin it became more of a bucket list for leaving California.
I feel like I need these things whenever I am leaving CA:
Fresh Sushi, Fish tacos, so very tasty and good for you,, In N Out Burgers, and did I say fish?
The Beach, The Mountains (midwest is flat), sunny days, bonfire at the beach.
Underground Hip Hop shows

A lot of friends also ask me if I can have a bachelor party or something like that.

anyways, I find that I wasn't really to be locked up after entering religious life, I just go to the beach a whole lot less, I hardly go to Hip Hop shows, So i would really binge on those things for a bucket list.
I end up doing a lot more traveling in religious life anyways. I think more like, after ordination, I want to say Mass at St. Peters, Holy Sepulchre, Nagasaki, Basilica Santo Nino de Cebu, etc.