An Old School Catholic Message Board

Young People: You Will Pay For The Health Care Bill

Brother Adam

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

[quote name='Hassan' date='07 January 2010 - 08:53 AM' timestamp='1262872418' post='2031675']
The nation-state is inherently a welfare state. Charities and Society? I don't know what you mean by society (what is the state a representative of?) but charity certainly didn't provide people at large with education and healthcare. Near universal literacy is a very recent phenomena.
[/quote]

Schools in the US were founded by Religious Institutions often supported by the LOCAL community or Society. Society as I meant it is a broad topic which would include government but not limited to it. For example, when my Dad was growing up in Houston he tells me that if he messed up walking home from school, his mom would recieve a phone call before he arrived home. Society as a broad category recognized and appreciated that the community can help raise a child. Now were taught "you have no business talking about my kids..." IMHO the Nation State does not have to inherently be a welfare state, most welfare issues are better delt with and Constitutionally given to the States, Localities, and individuals.

King's Rook's Pawn

[quote name='Hassan' date='07 January 2010 - 08:53 AM' timestamp='1262872418' post='2031675']...charity certainly didn't provide people at large with education and healthcare. Near universal literacy is a very recent phenomena.
[/quote]

The rise in literacy preceded the establishment of the state school system. And if the state school system was intended as a welfare scheme, how come its not limited to poor children? Even Bill Gates's kids can get "free" schooling. In fact, it is and always was intended as an indoctrination scheme, in part by 19th century evangelical Protestants who wanted to propagandize the children of Catholic immigrants. Compulsory, tax-funded schooling was an anti-Catholic initiative from the beginning.