An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mark Wahlberg

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Norseman82' date='14 January 2010 - 08:41 PM' timestamp='1263519706' post='2037330']
What does that have to do with anything? That's just a trick of the devil to shut people up from speaking out against evil and, as he would say in another thread, "call a spade a spade".

And no, I don't go around defiling and knocking up women. So there.
[/quote]
My mistake, I missed the part where Jesus said it was up to us to point out the personal sins of everyone. That must have come just after the part where they stoned the prostitute.

Perhaps you aren't familiar, but there are other sins than fornication. I would assume you'd know that, but that seems to be the only sin that you are concerned with.

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='14 January 2010 - 08:46 PM' timestamp='1263519985' post='2037333']
Of course sexual promiscuity causes damage to our society - and to our souls. However, there are plenty of people who have made mistakes and sought Confession for them. To refer to these people (or these women) as "defiled" suggests that they will never be pure in God's eyes and that they don't deserve a chance of true love.
[/quote]

Well, it's true. Confession wipes away the sin, but it sconsequences. It does not cure an STD, make a woman unpregnant, restore virginity, or reassemble an aborted baby lying in pieces in a dumpster behind an abortion clinic (or a medical waste container by the mailbox).

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' date='14 January 2010 - 08:49 PM' timestamp='1263520158' post='2037335']
My mistake, I missed the part where Jesus said it was up to us to point out the personal sins of everyone. That must have come just after the part where they stoned the prostitute.
[/quote]

Read 1 Corinthians 5.

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' date='14 January 2010 - 08:49 PM' timestamp='1263520158' post='2037335']
Perhaps you aren't familiar, but there are other sins than fornication. I would assume you'd know that, but that seems to be the only sin that you are concerned with.
[/quote]

I answered that question in post 39.

Edited by Norseman82

HisChildForever

[quote name='Norseman82' date='14 January 2010 - 08:51 PM' timestamp='1263520300' post='2037337']
Well, it's true. Confession wipes away the sin, but it sconsequences. It does not cure an STD, make a woman unpregnant, restore virginity, or reassemble an aborted baby lying in pieces in a dumpster behind an abortion clinic (or a medical waste container by the mailbox).
[/quote]

The women (and men) who have participated in premarital sex need time to heal from their sins, even after Reconciliation has been made. To speak of them as if they are of lesser worth - which is what it sounds like by calling them "defiled" - will only discourage them from pursuing chastity.

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='14 January 2010 - 08:54 PM' timestamp='1263520474' post='2037339']
The women (and men) who have participated in premarital sex need time to heal from their sins, even after Reconciliation has been made. To speak of them as if they are of lesser worth - which is what it sounds like by calling them "defiled" - will only discourage them from pursuing chastity.
[/quote]

Or it may deter some from doing it in the first place.

HisChildForever

[quote name='Norseman82' date='14 January 2010 - 08:56 PM' timestamp='1263520563' post='2037340']
[/quote]

And of those who have already done it? Those who have turned to Christ for forgiveness? What does it do for them?

[quote name='Terra Firma' date='11 January 2010 - 07:53 PM' timestamp='1263257635' post='2035094']
God graciously offers forgiveness and reconciliation even for egregious sins. Mr. Wahlberg has sinned in his lifetime (haven't we all??). But it is definitely encouraging to see him making steps toward rectifying the situation, and to see him openly treasuring his faith. It is a testimony to the fact that he, like the rest of us, is on a journey of conversion and growth in faith and obedience.

Perhaps rather than focusing on his past sins (which, for all we know, have quite possibly been absolved) we could celebrate the evidence of grace in his life and that of his family. I think it's wonderful, for example, that he has influenced his wife to convert to the faith. Perhaps we can all pray for his and his family's continuing conversion and growth, particularly since he holds such a position of cultural influence.
[/quote]

Great post, Terra. :)

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='14 January 2010 - 08:57 PM' timestamp='1263520624' post='2037341']
And of those who have already done it? Those who have turned to Christ for forgiveness? What does it do for them?
[/quote]

Well, if they are to make amends for the damage they have done, they need to know the damage done in the first place, correct?

Besides, we "older brothers" who are not getting our "kid goats" need to blow off a little steam now and then.

Edited by Norseman82

HisChildForever

[quote name='Norseman82' date='14 January 2010 - 09:05 PM' timestamp='1263521110' post='2037346']
Well, if they are to make amends for the damage they have done, they need to know the damage done in the first place, correct?

Besides, we "older brothers" who are not getting our "kid goats" need to blow off a little steam now and then.
[/quote]

I'm talking about those individuals who already know what they did was wrong and have since been to Confession for it.

[quote name='Norseman82' date='14 January 2010 - 08:54 PM' timestamp='1263520458' post='2037338']
Read 1 Corinthians 5.
[/quote]
Alright.
So you assume that he is not actually contrite for his sins, then. That's a pretty presumptuous stance to take, if you ask me.

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' date='14 January 2010 - 09:22 PM' timestamp='1263522127' post='2037358']
Alright.
So you assume that he is not actually contrite for his sins, then. That's a pretty presumptuous stance to take, if you ask me.
[/quote]

I did not say that. Don't put words in my mouth. Do you even remember what you wrote in post 46:

[/quote]

There are other parts of the Bible as well, and they speak of pointing out sins and basically telling the offenders to "shape up or ship out". That was my point of bringing up 1 Cornthians 5.

Of course, I should not have to be explaining this in the first place; it does not take a PhD in English to grasp that simple point, unless one is simply trying to bait me.

Edited by Norseman82

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='14 January 2010 - 09:12 PM' timestamp='1263521531' post='2037353']
I'm talking about those individuals who already know what they did was wrong and have since been to Confession for it.
[/quote]

And if you read my original remark you will see that I expressed relief that he is no longer behaving as he did.

We have to be careful not to give blind "hero worship" to just anyone who claims to be Catholic.

[quote name='Norseman82' date='14 January 2010 - 09:36 PM' timestamp='1263522960' post='2037367']
I did not say that. Don't put words in my mouth.[/quote]
I wasn't.
[quote name='1 Corinthians 5:13]REMOVE THE WICKED MAN FROM AMONG YOURSELVES. [/quote]
One who has repented is not wicked. By wanting to remove him, as the verse says, you've taken it upon yourself to decide that he is not absolved of those sins.
[quote]There are other parts of the Bible as well, and they speak of pointing out sins and basically telling the offenders to "shape up or ship out". That was my point of bringing up 1 Cornthians 5.
[/quote]
As I've been trying to get across, we don't know whether or not he's persistent in his sin or not, but even assuming he [i]is[/i] still persistent in his sin, I'm sure admonishing someone behind his back on an internet forum which he's probably never heard of and probably will never read would be particularly effective.

I don't see this conversation going anywhere, so I'll close in saying that I'm glad you're not the one who decides who gets to stay (and I'd bet St. Augustine would be glad too).

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' date='14 January 2010 - 09:50 PM' timestamp='1263523824' post='2037380']
I wasn't.

One who has repented is not wicked. By wanting to remove him, as the verse says, you've taken it upon yourself to decide that he is not absolved of those sins.

As I've been trying to get across, we don't know whether or not he's persistent in his sin or not, but even assuming he [i]is[/i] still persistent in his sin, I'm sure admonishing someone behind his back on an internet forum which he's probably never heard of and probably will never read would be particularly effective.

I don't see this conversation going anywhere, so I'll close in saying that I'm glad you're not the one who decides who gets to stay (and I'd bet St. Augustine would be glad too).
[/quote]

Again, please reread what you wrote.

[quote name='Norseman82' date='14 January 2010 - 05:09 PM' timestamp='1263517744' post='2037305']
I call it as I see it. I stand by what I say.
Excuse me, but you don't know me. You are in no position to publicly speculate what I have or have not done. Now THAT is what is rude. Knock off the snarkiness and mind your manners, kid.

Also, the whole "all sin is the same in the eyes of God" is a PROTESTANT idea, not a Catholic one. Even among mortal sins, fornication is singled out for special condemnation somewhere in 1 Corinthians. This is one mortal sin that is among the top tier that is ruining society today.
[/quote]

assuming someone has commited a mortal sin after living 40 odd years, is akin to assuming they have eaten at least one hamburger. its not that presumptuous.
oooh! "special condemnation"?? you mean they go to "double-Hell" ?

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='14 January 2010 - 05:12 PM' timestamp='1263517932' post='2037308']
I think J is just trying to explain that referring to a non-virgin as "defiled" is a hurtful comment.
[/quote]

exactly right. as there are a couple people on this board that are in a similar situation as mark walberg or his wife, i find it astoundingly tactless to speak as you have, Norse.

[quote name='Norseman82' date='14 January 2010 - 05:15 PM' timestamp='1263518104' post='2037310']
Maybe I'm just "old school" and raised in a different generation where that type of behavior was frowned upon more by society (unlike today); but hurtful or not, it is true. Do you agree that sexual promiscuity is causing damage to today's society?
[/quote]

kinda anecdotal and pointless. i cant think of plenty of other things that were "frowned upon" a few decades ago "for the good of society", that were total bullcrap.

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' date='14 January 2010 - 05:35 PM' timestamp='1263519315' post='2037325']
Read it again, that's not what he said.

And if you have never committed a mortal sin, I must say, you are five times the man I am (hell, you're five times any man I've ever met).
[/quote]
five times every man ive ever met, put together.

[quote name='Norseman82' date='14 January 2010 - 05:41 PM' timestamp='1263519706' post='2037330']
What does that have to do with anything? That's just a trick of the devil to shut people up from speaking out against evil and, as he would say in another thread, "call a spade a spade".

And no, I don't go around defiling and knocking up women. So there.
[/quote]

you arent speaking out against sin, you are speaking out against sinners. there is a difference.

how impressive :rolleyes:

[quote name='Norseman82' date='14 January 2010 - 05:51 PM' timestamp='1263520300' post='2037337']
[/quote]

it also doesnt unmurder people, or put back stolen goods, or undo anything physical, so whats your point?

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='14 January 2010 - 05:54 PM' timestamp='1263520474' post='2037339']
[/quote]

exactly.

[quote name='Norseman82' date='14 January 2010 - 05:56 PM' timestamp='1263520563' post='2037340']
[/quote]

or if you say it in a really mean way, might work some reverse psychology on them.