An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mark Wahlberg

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Norseman82' date='15 January 2010 - 09:19 PM' timestamp='1263619176' post='2038203']
See post 50.
[/quote]

im guessing since they still want answers, your post could use some expanding or clarification

[quote name='Norseman82' date='15 January 2010 - 09:22 PM' timestamp='1263619337' post='2038206']
Ask the Author. I'm only quoting His word.
[/quote]

actually you just referred to it. an actual quote or explanation would be much welcomed.

[quote name='Lil Red' date='15 January 2010 - 09:41 PM' timestamp='1263620498' post='2038229']
+JMJ+
actually it's more apt to make them think you are a self-righteous prig, than to look at their own actions. "just as i thought - all those self-righteous religious people, telling me what to do".
[/quote]

i can attest that that is correct.

[quote name='Norseman82' date='15 January 2010 - 09:43 PM' timestamp='1263620623' post='2038232']
Trust me, in this thread, I have, and some people here are very lucky I have held back over some of the snarky personal attacks.
[/quote]

I'm sure it would have destroyed me to my core. :)

[quote name='Lil Red' date='15 January 2010 - 09:58 PM' timestamp='1263621514' post='2038246']
+JMJ+
yes, but we're not talking ancient history ( :) it's a joke!). when you were growing up and the world now are vastly different. heck, the world is vastly different from when i was growing up! (not so much behind your time!) more and more people are growing up without religion, and are taught to be indifferent or hate religion and those self-righteous religious phreaks. we need to speak to their hearts, as each case merits. you seem to want to sledgehammer all cases the same, without realizing that every person needs spoken to in a different manner. you've already wounded some here with your tactics. meet people where their needs are, don't meet them with the only weapons you have available.

norse, over the years at phatmass, you have consistently been involved with these type of topics, over and over again. you have used harsh language over and over again, i think to the detriment of all involved. you and the majority of people on phatmass do not see eye-to-eye on this subject. (:rolleyes: understatement of the year) obviously you have been very hurt with your experiences in life when it comes to love and relationships, and my heart hurts for you. i will pray especially tonight for your healing.

God bless, :)
[/quote]

well, when your only tool is a hammer then all the problems start to look like nails. Norse might want to go tool shopping.

Edited by Jesus_lol

Well to clarify even further, once one confesses their sins and are in a state of grace, if they die right there they do, in a sense, have a "free pass to heaven". It just might not be immediate. Those in Purgatory are already saved. :)

[quote name='Ed Normile' date='15 January 2010 - 11:21 PM' timestamp='1263622883' post='2038280']
Thank you for your prayers, I thought we were having a discussion. Forgive me if I offended you, it certainly seemed by your post you implied we were free from the effects of our sin once we went to confession. I was thinking that if the wrong person read this they could get the idea that it just don't matter, all they have to do is confess and get a free pass to heaven. I would be all for that, but unfortunately that is not so, as you have confirmed with your retort, by the way when you added that you have " about had it with me phorum wide" I guess you are implying I have disagreed with you on other topics here? If so, I am sorry to have upset you there too, this was not my intent, dialogue is meant to enlighten and edify us to each others views and beliefs, we all have points of interest and we express them in settings like these.

ed
[/quote]
+JMJ+
they do have a free pass to heaven eventually. ;) if they go to purgatory, they'll eventually go to heaven.

[quote name='Jesus_lol' date='15 January 2010 - 11:22 PM' timestamp='1263622927' post='2038281']
well, when your only tool is a hammer then all the problems start to look like nails. Norse might want to go tool shopping.
[/quote]
+JMJ+
;) let's not take that whole 'tool' analogy too far, hmmm? :) :lol:

[quote name='Ed Normile' date='15 January 2010 - 11:21 PM' timestamp='1263622883' post='2038280']
If so, I am sorry to have upset you there too, this was not my intent, dialogue is meant to enlighten and edify us to each others views and beliefs, we all have points of interest and we express them in settings like these.

ed
[/quote]
+JMJ+
just ignore me. i'm a cranky person when i'm tired.

[quote name='Jesus_lol' date='16 January 2010 - 01:22 AM' timestamp='1263622927' post='2038281'] Norse might want to go tool shopping.
[/quote]

You don't realize how open you left yourself, but in the interest of charity I will not take advantage of the empty net.

[quote name='Norseman82' date='15 January 2010 - 11:58 PM' timestamp='1263625104' post='2038330']
You don't realize how open you left yourself, but in the interest of charity I will not take advantage of the empty net.
[/quote]
+JMJ+
:lol_pound:

[quote name='Lil Red' date='15 January 2010 - 10:30 PM' timestamp='1263623408' post='2038293']
+JMJ+
;) let's not take that whole 'tool' analogy too far, hmmm? :) :lol:
[/quote]

lol, that came to mind, but i wont :P

[quote name='Norseman82' date='15 January 2010 - 10:58 PM' timestamp='1263625104' post='2038330']
[/quote]

open to insulting, i am ok with that. thats pretty common, however being open to logical refutation, i am more curious than scared about what you are holding back.

and how do you take advantage of an empty net? :huh: it would probably be more profitable to take advantage of a full, unguarded net. ;)

Edited by Jesus_lol

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='16 January 2010 - 01:37 AM' timestamp='1263620228' post='2038222']
Your signature has sexist implications, which is why I dislike it.
[/quote]
THERE ARE YOU HAPPY?

women :annoyed:

[quote name='Ed Normile' date='16 January 2010 - 12:21 AM' timestamp='1263619271' post='2038205']
Actually the Virgin Mary was free from all stain of sin including original sin, and she remained sin free throughout her life. Although St Joseph was a very great man and saint, he was in no way ever attributed to be free from sin or having never committed a sin, mortal or venial.

ed
[/quote]

It is a pious tradition that St. Joseph remained sinless throughout his life. Many of the Saints have written thus. This is not confused with Our Lady's Immaculate Conception, as no one (to my knowledge) has ever claimed that he was freed from original sin at conception. As long as we're listing Saints, the same tradition has been applied to St. John the Baptist, and the case for him is very clear.

[quote name='Ed Normile' date='16 January 2010 - 01:04 AM' timestamp='1263621866' post='2038256']
Are you serious, you gotta read your catechism, We are forgiven by the church, reconciled with the church and brought back into the communion of saints , but we are not free from temporal punishment needed to purify our souls after death to make us worthy of being with God. We are not condemned to hell, we purify our souls in purgatory. We can receive indulgences from the church which will remove certain amounts of this temporal punishment, but we must purify our souls to be like the soul of a saint to go straight to heaven, I would say most people even maybe some saints spend time in purgatory, that is why it is so important we pray for these holy souls in purgatory. Ask your priest about the sacrament of Penance and temporal punishment and purification in purgatory where we expiate our sins.

ed
[/quote]

You need to give people on this phorum more credit; most of us aren't morons. Please try to give people the benefit of the doubt instead of assuming that we've never "read our catechisms". Here's the shocker- *you are not the only Catholic who uses the internet*

HisChildForever

[quote name='pvtmiller' date='16 January 2010 - 02:22 AM' timestamp='1263626570' post='2038345']
THERE ARE YOU HAPPY?

women :annoyed:
[/quote]

There is nothing "politically correct" about being respectful of women. But thank you.

HisChildForever

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='16 January 2010 - 03:15 AM' timestamp='1263629730' post='2038376']
There is nothing "politically correct" about being respectful of women. But thank you.
[/quote]

As an aside, my feelings are nonexistent and therefore impossible to "hurt." Nevertheless the new signature is a great improvement.

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='Lil Red' date='16 January 2010 - 01:51 AM' timestamp='1263624676' post='2038315']
+JMJ+
just ignore me. i'm a cranky person when i'm tired.
[/quote]

Actually, no, your beef was legitimate. There are better ways to have a dialogue than to say "are you serious, you gotta read your catechism."

[quote name='aalpha1989' date='16 January 2010 - 01:04 AM' timestamp='1263629059' post='2038372']
You need to give people on this phorum more credit; most of us aren't morons. Please try to give people the benefit of the doubt instead of assuming that we've never "read our catechisms". Here's the shocker- *you are not the only Catholic who uses the internet*
[/quote]
+JMJ+
:blowkiss: