An Old School Catholic Message Board

Wearing Veils In Mass.

DiscerningSoul

laetitia crucis

[quote name='vee8' date='26 January 2010 - 08:47 PM' timestamp='1264553240' post='2045304']
I think my Mom told me once at some point, in a rather hushed voice IIRC, that we could receive on the tongue but I never did until I was forced to. Around three years ago I was in Washington DC and got food poisoning so due to that had to hold every handrail in the city just to make it down any set of stairs I was so weak. I was determind to go to Mass at the BNIC though which I made it to but with no chance to wash my hands they were filthy. I wasnt about to receive Jesus on such hands so I said here goes nothing and received on the tongue. Something changed in me at that point and Ive been receiving that way ever since.
[/quote]

"Something changed in me at that point and I've been receiving that way ever since." <-- YES! It's funny... when I came home from the CFRs, I think I received that same grace. I don't think I could ever go back. It just feels so... I don't even know how to describe it.. :think: I guess the best way for me to describe it would be like a lack of intimacy and trust with our Lord, you know?

DiscerningSoul

[quote name='SstrAli' date='26 January 2010 - 08:50 PM' timestamp='1264553427' post='2045308']
I would be honored to have it . . . I tried to send you a PM but said that I couldn't.

Let me know your email address and I'll give you my snail mail.

An angel from heaven truly. . .

The reason I haven't gotten a veil yet is because when I entered the Monastery 2 years ago I gave up everything I had and have no money to buy one.

Oh gosh - I'm so excited and scared at the same time, because once i receive it I have to veil!

Ahhhhh!! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif[/img]
[/quote]
You better wear it! LOL and post a picture of you wearing it!

At the N.O. parishes I attend, the only people I see wearing them are very old (and often European) women. The only place I've seen young women veiling is at the Extraordinary Form Masses. I hope this will change, because it truly is a beautiful thing to see.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='SstrAli' date='26 January 2010 - 08:50 PM' timestamp='1264553427' post='2045308']
I would be honored to have it . . . I tried to send you a PM but said that I couldn't.

The reason I haven't gotten a veil yet is because when I entered the Monastery 2 years ago I gave up everything I had and have no money to buy one.

Oh gosh - I'm so excited and scared at the same time, because once i receive it I have to veil!

Ahhhhh!! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif[/img]
[/quote]

:yahoo: You can do it, Allie!!! :yahoo:

We'll be praying and cheering for you (and veiling with you) the whole time! :grouphug:

+JMJ+
i don't remember the first time seeing one, but i remember praying about it because of conversations here at phatmass (debate table). i had been praying about it for awhile, then while chaperoning a Steubenville conference, i saw a young lady wearing a scarf during Adoration, then Mass. it was like "IT'S TIME!" with neon signs flashing. i bought a similar scarf at the conference and started veiling at the conference's closing Mass.

then i did it the following weekend at my home parish - didn't go over well, to say the least. :rolleyes: in retrospect, i should have realized that it would cause a stir, and not started out so boldly (it's a pretty Marian-blue colored scarf), and started with what i use now for Masses (in private prayer and daily Masses, i still use the scarf) - which is a brown chapel covering (it matches my hair). :)

[quote name='SstrAli' date='26 January 2010 - 07:32 PM' timestamp='1264552336' post='2045288']
Wouldn't this be great?!

I still have not gained the courage and I have yet to buy a chapel veil - please pray for this!
[/quote]
I ordered one on-line about 6 months ago but still haven't the courage to wear it. How pathetic I am.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='Kathgirl' date='27 January 2010 - 11:38 AM' timestamp='1264606708' post='2045808']
I ordered one on-line about 6 months ago but still haven't the courage to wear it. How pathetic I am.
[/quote]

You can do it! *sends prayers of encouragement your way* :sign: :pray: :sign:

I liked the advice that DiscerningSoul gave a few days ago:

[quote]a little tip: Go early, goto the front of the church(yes the front so you don't see the people but the alter, isn't that why your there anyway?) put your viel on and pray! Trust me you'll feel your heart throbbing but by the gospel you'll feel so much better, and the more your wear the better.
[/quote]

I found that helpful... that way, even if people are staring at you, you won't [b]see [/b]them starting at you. :lol: ;)

Although, I have heard that some people can [i]feel [/i]people staring at the back of their heads... :topsy:

DiscerningSoul

[/quote]

It went out today, hopefully you should have it for Sunday Mass. :)

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='26 January 2010 - 11:20 PM' timestamp='1264566018' post='2045614']
[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/yahoo.gif[/img] You can do it, Allie!!! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/yahoo.gif[/img]

We'll be praying and cheering for you (and veiling with you) the whole time! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/grouphug.gif[/img]
[/quote]

Oh LAETITIA CRUCIS - I love typing your name haha Joy of the Cross, just beautiful.

Thank you SO MUCH for the prayers. I seriously need them! I'm SO NERVOUS and SCARED!

Once I receive it - I gotta wear it. I'm emailing my spiritual director/pastor of my parish to let him know - so he doesn't fall out of his chair lol.

God Bless,

Allie

[quote name='DiscerningSoul' date='26 January 2010 - 07:54 PM' timestamp='1264553651' post='2045313']
You better wear it! LOL and post a picture of you wearing it!
[/quote]

Lol . . . I promise once I receive it I'll wear it. I'll try my best to get a picture and post it - if I can get it to work!

[quote name='DiscerningSoul' date='27 January 2010 - 05:42 PM' timestamp='1264632135' post='2046048']
It went out today, hopefully you should have it for Sunday Mass. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img]
[/quote]

Thank you SO VERY MUCH!!!

And not to hijack this thread or anything - I'm just trying to get things DOWN. . .

So is there a NO Latin Rite? What is the name of the Mass like on EWTN everyday where the priest faces the people, but does a lot in latin?

Ur help is so much appreciated! I just gotta get this stuff straight!

[quote name='SstrAli' date='27 January 2010 - 05:19 PM' timestamp='1264637960' post='2046102']
And not to hijack this thread or anything - I'm just trying to get things DOWN. . .

So is there a NO Latin Rite? What is the name of the Mass like on EWTN everyday where the priest faces the people, but does a lot in latin?

Ur help is so much appreciated! I just gotta get this stuff straight!
[/quote]

There is really only one Latin Rite... and within the one Latin Rite, there are a couple of forms of the mass, mainly the Novus Ordo (which can be celebrated in Latin or in the vernacular), and the Extraordinary Form (which is celebrated according to the missal of John XXIII, and is always in Latin...). There are also other forms of the Mass which fall within the Latin Rite... such as the Anglican Use, the Dominican, and other forms which are attached to religious orders. Other rites of the Church, such as the Byzantine, or the Maronite, are distinct from the Latin Rite in both liturgy, and as Apotheoun could explain to you, also theology, but are totally in communion with the Church.

EWTN has the Novus Ordo on a daily basis, but much of it is in Latin. It is exactly the same form of the mass as is celebrated in your average parish, though. At the Shrine of the Most Blessed Sacrament too, it's generally the Novus Ordo, but it is in Latin (moreso than EWTN) and the priest faces Ad Orientem (it is acceptable either way in the NO).

According to one of the documents of Vat. II, the NO typically is supposed to use some Latin... especially for the Ordinary of the Mass (the Gloria, Kyrie, Credo... everything that stays the same each mass)... It just unfortunately has gotten away from that most of the time, and the NO has become disassociated with Latin, unfortunately, but it was never supposed to be that way.

I hope that made some sense! Thomist's explanation of the different terms was a very good one. They are often used interchangeably, but there is a distinction in what they mean.

Edited by zunshynn

JMJT

For me, the first time I wore it was at the Tradition Latin Mass. It felt so amazing ... like I was truly doing something beautiful for Christ. After, I remember thinking I would never wear it to the regular Novus Ordo Mass. Then, I went to a retreat where all the girls wore their veils. During the mass, I glanced behind me (I was sitting at the front) and seeing the waves of veils gave me goosebumps. So after I decided to wear it to the NO Mass. The young man I had been dating disagreed with these ideals - probably out of fear that I was trying to be "more holy than the Pope", so after I really started to question my reasons. Fortunately we broke up and I began to really evaluate why I wear the veil. I decided it was because I truly love Christ. There is a family at one Mass that wear the veil and a few others. Besides that, no one wears it.

One cool thing tho - I saw a little girl wear it last Sunday at Mass and she was even in the Choir. That just made my day :)

God bless you all in you discernment over wearing a veil or not to wear one!

In Christ
Melissa

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Lil Red' date='27 January 2010 - 05:24 AM' timestamp='1264569898' post='2045707']
+JMJ+
i don't remember the first time seeing one, but i remember praying about it because of conversations here at phatmass (debate table). i had been praying about it for awhile, then while chaperoning a Steubenville conference, i saw a young lady wearing a scarf during Adoration, then Mass. it was like "IT'S TIME!" with neon signs flashing. i bought a similar scarf at the conference and started veiling at the conference's closing Mass.
[/quote]
Similar story here. I'd been thinking & praying about it, but not talking to anyone about it, then saw misereremi wearing a mantilla at my son's baptism. So I got a headscarf.