An Old School Catholic Message Board

Lockport Dominican Nuns

Saint Therese

Sr. Agnes was a PM'er before entering the Dominicans. She was known as Chorusgirl. If she is still in Lockport, it would be nice to include her in the new vocations thread.

Saint Therese

[quote name='Lilllabettt' date='25 January 2010 - 04:08 PM' timestamp='1264453711' post='2044328']
you know thats kind of ironic. since your first post is about community affairs. oooo i am being mean. pardon me :topsy:
[/quote]

I have never posted anything about internal community affairs, and will never, because things that happen in community, good and bad, are easily misintepreted by outsiders. And since one never knows what will be misintepreted or cause scandal,etc, I find its best not to speak of things that aren't anyone's business but those in the community. :)

[quote name='Tridenteen' date='25 January 2010 - 04:46 PM' timestamp='1264455997' post='2044351']
JMJ
Oooh! Congratulations! Does this mean you get a solid black veil, or the kind of see through one? By the way,I just checked their website, did they change their postulant habit? It looks different! But cool!
[/quote]

[b]ASPIRANT[/b] are uniformly dressed in full black jumpers with whitelong-sleeve under blouses and what were referred to as “seethrough” veils.

[b]POSTULANTS[/b] are also uniformly dressed in full black jumpers with whitelong-sleeve under blouses and also - short black “solid” veilsand capes; crucifixes; and belted rosaries.

IIMHO they have the[b] best[/b] outfits!! :love:

laetitia crucis

[quote name='Saint Therese' date='26 January 2010 - 02:09 PM' timestamp='1264529364' post='2044981']
[b]ASPIRANT[/b] are uniformly dressed in full black jumpers with whitelong-sleeve under blouses and what were referred to as “seethrough” veils.

[b]POSTULANTS[/b] are also uniformly dressed in full black jumpers with whitelong-sleeve under blouses and also - short black “solid” veilsand capes; crucifixes; and belted rosaries.

IIMHO they have the[b] best[/b] outfits!! :love:
[/quote]

Veils for both postulants and aspirants is so wonderful!!!

Plus, capes!!! -- and crucifixes and belted rosaries for the postulants!!! :woot:

Can I just say it again? -- CAPES!!! :love: Ahhhh!

I know I shouldn't be so superficial about this, but really.. I love capes. As silly as it sounds, I just felt so much more "nunly" wearing it. I remember one Christmas while in the convent my mom bought me a fleece cape-like poncho -- I wore it as much as possible. :smokey: Even now, I like to wear it with a skirt when it's cold out. Ah... love it.

Okay...I'm done. Sorry to hijack with my superficiality. :blush:

Saint Therese

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='26 January 2010 - 01:26 PM' timestamp='1264530405' post='2045000']
Veils for both postulants and aspirants is so wonderful!!!

Plus, capes!!! -- and crucifixes and belted rosaries for the postulants!!! :woot:

Can I just say it again? -- CAPES!!! :love: Ahhhh!

I know I shouldn't be so superficial about this, but really.. I love capes. As silly as it sounds, I just felt so much more "nunly" wearing it. I remember one Christmas while in the convent my mom bought me a fleece cape-like poncho -- I wore it as much as possible. :smokey: Even now, I like to wear it with a skirt when it's cold out. Ah... love it.

Okay...I'm done. Sorry to hijack with my superficiality. :blush:
[/quote]

I don't think its superficial at all! I think one of the things that first drew me to the community was their beautiful "outfits". When people ask me why I want to be a nun I'm always [b]so[/b] [i]tempted[/i] to tell them its because I'll get to wear a cape!:yes: I love capes too!:love:

JMJ
Frivilous though it may be...CAPES!!!!!! I am so tempted to say I would join them because of CAPES...as well as they are such beautiful and holy nuns!

Saint Therese

The capes on the postulants outfits are truly awesome! But the capes ( I think they're called something else..) the sisters wear are truly awe-inspiring. :love:

brightsadness

[quote name='Saint Therese' date='26 January 2010 - 11:32 AM' timestamp='1264530778' post='2045010']
I don't think its superficial at all! I think one of the things that first drew me to the community was their beautiful "outfits". When people ask me why I want to be a nun I'm always [b]so[/b] [i]tempted[/i] to tell them its because I'll get to wear a cape![img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/caption_yes.gif[/img] I love capes too![img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/love.gif[/img]
[/quote]

I love capes also. [url="http://www.basiliannuns.org.ar/prays/index.html"]http://www.basiliannuns.org.ar/prays/index.html[/url]

[quote name='Saint Therese' date='26 January 2010 - 02:46 PM' timestamp='1264542361' post='2045167']
The capes on the postulants outfits are truly awesome! But the capes ( I think they're called something else..) the sisters wear are truly awe-inspiring. :love:
[/quote]

That's the mantle... worn in honor of Our Blessed Mother :) It's generally worn only at mass and other formal occasions in most orders.

I think Lockport is sooo beautiful... I'm glad they're doing well!

laetitia crucis

[quote name='brightsadness' date='26 January 2010 - 05:54 PM' timestamp='1264542888' post='2045173']
I love capes also. [url="http://www.basiliannuns.org.ar/prays/index.html"]http://www.basiliannuns.org.ar/prays/index.html[/url]
[/quote]

:clap: Yesss!

So lovely!

How do I put this? Im sure someone will correct me if Im wrong but here goes. If heaven is a mystical spousal union with God and the lives of nuns on earth reflect that heavenly reality then as mystical brides their habit is their weddng dress but unlike a bride who wears her dress only once nuns wear theirs everyday. Those of us discerning religious life then may talk about a habit in what may sound to others a very superficial way but it actually isnt as we are like any engaged woman looking at dresses and which one she might wear for her beloved. Unlike the average brde though we continually seek our beloved`s opinion and will about where He would like us to go and what He would like us to wear. Then in a huge break with most brides of our day we even ask the opinion of our possible future mother in law, and may even imitate her in what she wears!:shock::D

laetitia crucis

[quote name='vee8' date='26 January 2010 - 08:14 PM' timestamp='1264551249' post='2045271']
How do I put this? Im sure someone will correct me if Im wrong but here goes. If heaven is a mystical spousal union with God and the lives of nuns on earth reflect that heavenly reality then as mystical brides their habit is their weddng dress but unlike a bride who wears her dress only once nuns wear theirs everyday. Those of us discerning religious life then may talk about a habit in what may sound to others a very superficial way but it actually isnt as we are like any engaged woman looking at dresses and which one she might wear for her beloved. Unlike the average brde though we continually seek our beloved`s opinion and will about where He would like us to go and what He would like us to wear. Then in a huge break with most brides of our day we even ask the opinion of our possible future mother in law, and may even imitate her in what she wears!:shock::D
[/quote]

I love this post. :yes:

[quote name='vee8' date='26 January 2010 - 08:14 PM' timestamp='1264551249' post='2045271']
[/quote]

+1

I am in love with this post. ;)

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='26 January 2010 - 08:28 PM' timestamp='1264555697' post='2045339']
+1

I am in love with this post. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif[/img]
[/quote]

JMJ
I agree, how beautiful!!!!!

Saint Therese

[b]HAPPY FEAST OF SAINT THOMAS AQUINAS[/b]!:clap:

Today, Lockport's "New Addition #1" will arrive at the Monastery.
I'msure she and the nuns would appreciate all of your prayers.

Also, please do remember my own special intention - so that I too may enter[b] SOON[/b]. Thanks! :incense:

laetitia crucis

[quote name='Saint Therese' date='28 January 2010 - 01:03 PM' timestamp='1264698225' post='2046469']
[b]HAPPY FEAST OF SAINT THOMAS AQUINAS[/b]!:clap:

Today, Lockport's "New Addition #1" will arrive at the Monastery.
I'm sure she and the nuns would appreciate all of your prayers.

Also, please do remember my own special intention - so that I too may enter[b] SOON[/b]. Thanks! :incense:
[/quote]

*rejoices*

:yahoo:

What a GREAT day to enter a Dominican monastery!!!! I'm sure St. Thomas is rejoicing right along with us! :D

Will be keeping these intention in my prayers. :pray: :)