An Old School Catholic Message Board

Lockport Dominican Nuns

Saint Therese

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='Marieteresa' date='05 April 2010 - 05:04 PM' timestamp='1270505090' post='2087253']
Lockport's Easter pictures are up..[url="http://ldominican.xanga.com/"]My link[/url]

Happy Easter!
[/quote]

What beautiful pictures! And, this time next year, you'll BE THERE, St. Therese! I hope you are not getting too stressed out from your preparations.

YAY, KAYLA!!!

I am so excited. I love Dominicans, though religious life isn't my call...maybe someday I'll have TOP at the end of my name. ;)

Praying for you! Pray for us, too.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='Saint Therese' date='06 April 2010 - 01:52 PM' timestamp='1270579934' post='2087781']
Some beautiful pics, in addition to the ones mentionedvabove, have been added pholks!
[/quote]

The new pictures are beautiful, too. Thank-you.

I hope this isn't the wrong thing to say, but I really like the fact that the "enclosure grille" (is that the right term?) in the chapel of the Lockport nuns is made of beautiful, light wood, not metal bars. It has the same effect of enclosing the nuns as metal bars does, but seems less forbidding.

I know perfectly well that enclosed sisters are enclosed by choice, and are free to leave. The grille is intended not to keep the nuns in, but to keep the world out.

However, despite knowing this rationally, pictures of metal enclosure grilles, and the sound of the metal doors closing reminds me of prison. (Sometimes in videos you can see and hear the sound of the metal door closing.) It's simply an emotional reaction. I know perfectly well that these nuns are not imprisoned nor do they feel imprisoned.

I suspect Catholics get used to it and never think twice about it.

But, as a non-Catholic, I am still getting used to the image. And, I suspect that the image could contribute to the misunderstandings that many non-Catholics have about enclosed Orders of Nuns. I am in NO WAY suggesting that Orders should change their traditional practices of metal grilles--simply that I had a very positive reaction to the very lovely wooden grilles in the chapel of the Lockport nuns. It made enclosure feel like a positive choice.

I realize that Anglican orders of enclosed nuns also use metal grilles (at least as far as I know). It's just that I have never seen pictures of the enclosure grille of an Anglican Order, and suspect that I would have the same initial emotional reaction to the metal bars.

I also suspect that the metal bars remind me of scenes in (often tacky) old movies set in historical times, in which a young girl is forced to enter the convent against her will, even though the old movies have nothing to do with the way young women decide today to enter an enclosed Order.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

cruciatacara

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='06 April 2010 - 02:26 PM' timestamp='1270585580' post='2087843']
The new pictures are beautiful, too. Thank-you.

I hope this isn't the wrong thing to say, but I really like the fact that the "enclosure grille" (is that the right term?) in the chapel of the Lockport nuns is made of beautiful, light wood, not metal bars. It has the same effect of enclosing the nuns as metal bars does, but seems less forbidding.

I know perfectly well that enclosed sisters are enclosed by choice, and are free to leave. The grille is intended not to keep the nuns in, but to keep the world out.

However, despite knowing this rationally, pictures of metal enclosure grilles, and the sound of the metal doors closing reminds me of prison. (Sometimes in videos you can see and hear the sound of the metal door closing.) It's simply an emotional reaction. I know perfectly well that these nuns are not imprisoned nor do they feel imprisoned.

I suspect Catholics get used to it and never think twice about it.

But, as a non-Catholic, I am still getting used to the image. And, I suspect that the image could contribute to the misunderstandings that many non-Catholics have about enclosed Orders of Nuns. I am in NO WAY suggesting that Orders should change their traditional practices of metal grilles--simply that I had a very positive reaction to the very lovely wooden grilles in the chapel of the Lockport nuns. It made enclosure feel like a positive choice.

I realize that Anglican orders of enclosed nuns also use metal grilles (at least as far as I know). It's just that I have never seen pictures of the enclosure grille of an Anglican Order, and suspect that I would have the same initial emotional reaction to the metal bars.

I also suspect that the metal bars remind me of scenes in (often tacky) old movies set in historical times, in which a young girl is forced to enter the convent against her will, even though the old movies have nothing to do with the way young women decide today to enter an enclosed Order.
[/quote]

Those old movies don't show all the women who got married off against their will too! I like the grilles, but it doesn't matter what they are made of if they do the job I guess. Wood can be really nice, but I like dark wood, not the pine colored stuff. Sometimes I think the sound of the clanging of the metal and the keys - kinda like 'we are safe now', but it could sound scary if looked at the other way, like 'we are trapped now'.

Saint Therese

[img]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y255/dominicannuns/EasterSunday-2010079.jpg[/img]This one is my favorite!:love:

Saint Therese

The sisters' chaplain's blog has been updated:[url="http://scrantonsouth.blogspot.com/"]Scranton South[/url]

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Wow... things have changed so much there over the years... I really hope and pray they will grow tremendously!

Saint Therese

J.M.J.Th

Hope you are all having a great Divine Mercy Sunday!

Today after Mass our parish had its monthly dinner, in our parish hall. Before the dinner the youth director (even though I'm not a youth) had me go up on stage and Father made an announcement about my entering. It was pretty terrifying since I don't like being up in front of people. Anyways, afterwards, I had lots of people come up and tell me congratulations and good luck, and that they are proud of me. I talked to some of the older ladies, who were really thrilled, especially when I told them that the community I'm entering is very traditional and wear the full habit. The point of all this is that I really felt so humbled.
I really felt, maybe for the first time, how awesome a responsibility I have to be faithful to my vocation.
Also I"m going to be giving an informal talk to our youth group, which I think will be fun.

[quote name='Saint Therese' date='12 April 2010 - 05:48 AM' timestamp='1271015338' post='2091049']
J.M.J.Th

Today after Mass our parish had its monthly dinner, in our parish hall. Before the dinner the youth director (even though I'm not a youth) had me go up on stage and Father made an announcement about my entering. It was pretty terrifying since I don't like being up in front of people. Anyways, afterwards, I had lots of people come up and tell me congratulations and good luck, and that they are proud of me. I talked to some of the older ladies, who were really thrilled, especially when I told them that the community I'm entering is very traditional and wear the full habit. The point of all this is that I really felt so humbled.
I really felt, maybe for the first time, how awesome a responsibility I have to be faithful to my vocation.
Also I"m going to be giving an informal talk to our youth group, which I think will be fun.
[/quote]

[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/caption_cool.gif[/img] So now you`re an example :pray: that you will continue to be a good one. Are you the first woman to enter religious life from your parish in recent years or have there been others? Theres a big IF here but IF I really am called to religious life and IF I atually find a community that will accept me then Im fairly certain I would be the first woman to enter religious life from my home parish in a looooong time. If thats the case I can start to understand what you mean by responsibility.

brightsadness

[quote name='Saint Therese' date='11 April 2010 - 12:48 PM' timestamp='1271015338' post='2091049']
J.M.J.Th

[/quote]

praying for you in all you do.

Saint Therese

Well pham, this is it. The countdown begins.
I will be leaving here on the 24th.

Prayers requested!

Edited by Saint Therese

Saint Therese

[quote name='vee8' date='12 April 2010 - 12:29 AM' timestamp='1271046549' post='2091392']
. Are you the first woman to enter religious life from your parish in recent years or have there been others? Theres a big IF here but IF I really am called to religious life and IF I atually find a community that will accept me then Im fairly certain I would be the first woman to enter religious life from my home parish in a looooong time. If thats the case I can start to understand what you mean by responsibility.
[/quote]

I think I'm the first vocation from my parish ever. Can you believe that??

[quote name='Saint Therese' date='13 April 2010 - 01:55 PM' timestamp='1271130923' post='2092231']
I think I'm the first vocation from my parish ever. Can you believe that??
[/quote]

These days? Yes.