An Old School Catholic Message Board

Home Altar

KeenanParkerII

KeenanParkerII

Does anyone have an altar at home? A place to lay out your Bible, rosary, holy water, statues, icons, prayer book, to kneel, pray and read? It would seem cool to have a place you can go to to pray every night, plus it would keep everything organized, and anyone who entered your room/dorm/house/apartment would know you were Catholic.

Sort of related, this is a cool page talking about the Catholic home: http://www.fisheaters.com/domesticchurch.html

If anyone has one, could you post a pic if possible?

Ephrem Augustine

Well, Alter might not be the best term, like a personal shrine, where a person, or the family gathers around for prayer.

Most people have a shrine to their god the TV at the center of their family room. It would be cool to have a crucifix, or Icon, or statue.

SHALOM

I used to live in this really old house that had one of those old phone niches. I put a nice statue in there and one of my favorite rosaries. Wish I had room here.

KeenanParkerII

[quote]We have a family alter for Mary and several Catholic pictures that are hanging around the house.[/quote]
Right on. :yes:

[quote]I used to live in this really old house that had one of those old phone niches. I put a nice statue in there and one of my favorite rosaries. Wish I had room here.[/quote]

Me too. I'm thinking of getting rid of my bed entirely and just putting an altar/shrine in there. (To Ephrem: I see lots of Catholic article calling them altars, but yeh I've heard people call them shrines before.)

[img]http://www.fisheaters.com/altar_myhome.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.fisheaters.com/familyaltar1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.fisheaters.com/familyaltar3x.jpg[/img]

You can bet that I plan on having one someday.

Right now all I have is one shelf for religious books, and then whatever else I have strewn all over my room. Nothing that really deserves its own space, except a couple little bits that are on the walls and stuff.

Ooooh it's funny you should mention this! I'm creating one as I read this... I have to go to work but last night just bought a larger table for my own icon corner, which I've somewhat had for a while but it seems to just keep getting bigger and bigger. (I'm RC but have been going to the Byz. Church lately.)

In the Byzantine Catholic tradition, one calls it an icon corner, but yeah I guess it's similar to an altar. I will post mine this evening, hopefully. Mine is a mix between East and West but more East than West. It has a Bible, about 13 crosses on the wall, including an icon crucifix as well as a San Damiano one, this fabulous candelabra and a wooden bowl filled with sand to add the thin beeswax tapers one might find in an Eastern Church.

Will post a pic tonight!

Ciao!

KeenanParkerII

[quote][img]http://i45.tinypic.com/144a0r5.jpg[/img][/quote]

Sweeet Ressurexi! I like the colour scheme of your room too. My old bedroom was red with white molding too.

[quote]Ooooh it's funny you should mention this! I'm creating one as I read this... I have to go to work but last night just bought a larger table for my own icon corner, which I've somewhat had for a while but it seems to just keep getting bigger and bigger. (I'm RC but have been going to the Byz. Church lately.)

In the Byzantine Catholic tradition, one calls it an icon corner, but yeah I guess it's similar to an altar. I will post mine this evening, hopefully. Mine is a mix between East and West but more East than West. It has a Bible, about 13 crosses on the wall, including an icon crucifix as well as a San Damiano one, this fabulous candelabra and a wooden bowl filled with sand to add the thin beeswax tapers one might find in an Eastern Church.

Will post a pic tonight!

Ciao![/quote]

Niceness, be sure to post pics. Are you Greek btw?

[quote]You can bet that I plan on having one someday.

Right now all I have is one shelf for religious books, and then whatever else I have strewn all over my room. Nothing that really deserves its own space, except a couple little bits that are on the walls and stuff.[/quote]

Young men can dream. :weep:

Edited by KeenanParkerII

Ephrem Augustine

When I finally get out of formation, I hope to have something that is a bit more elaborate, and changes with the seasons of the Church, perhaps I can add more icons or statues to my collection.
I think that the most wonderful part, is having a personal sacred space always reminds us and calls us to pray and draws us into the divine presence.

KeenanParkerII

[quote]When I finally get out of formation, I hope to have something that is a bit more elaborate, and changes with the seasons of the Church, perhaps I can add more icons or statues to my collection.
I think that the most wonderful part, is having a personal sacred space always reminds us and calls us to pray and draws us into the divine presence.[/quote]

Formation? Are you going into religious life because that's awesome! =)
I agree, having a personal sacred space is super important. Jesus always went to a personal place of prayer.

I love seeing everyone's pictures! I am in the process of setting up an altar-type spot. I will try to post a picture later on.
I have a big picture on the wall that I absolutely love, from www.thejourneysproject.com. Under that is a small table with a small framed picture of Mary the Mother of The Rosary; a vase for flowers, a Myrhh candle and a little statue of an angel. I usually keep my Bible there and also St. Faustina's Diary, hoping if I leave it there the kids might pick it up to read it sometime.

KeenanParkerII,

Nope not Greek. Italian, actually. I'm Roman Catholic, but have been ... the best way to put it is that it seems that I've found my home among our Eastern brothers and sisters.

As for Ephrem Augustine, may I answer for him in case he doesn't see this? He's in formation as an Augustinian friar. He's already made vows but hasn't been ordained yet.

I just got home from work, and once my altar is all set up, I'll take pics and send away!