An Old School Catholic Message Board

" Happy Death " Crucifix Blessing And Kiss

laetitia crucis

laetitia crucis

While in the convent one of my superiors had told us that her cross/crucifix (worn on a necklace chain as part of the habit) had been specially blessed by a Dominican priest. This priest told her that if anyone on their deathbed were to kiss that blessed cross/crucifix, then they are [b]guaranteed [/b]NOT to go to Hell. (Yes, "saved" by a mere kiss! There was no mention of a "deathbed conversion" or "perfect contrition" -- I asked. :nerd: ) This superior also said that this blessing could only be given by Dominicans.

So naturally after hearing that I wanted [i]my[/i] cross/crucifix blessed, too! :lol: The next time I saw a Dominican (he happened to be a deacon at the time), I asked him about this blessing and he said he had never of it. :scratchhead: :idontknow:

I've tried searching online for any information on this, but haven't come up with anything.

Does anyone else know anything about this special cross/crucifix blessing and "saving kiss"? Please, enlighten me. :saint:

Thanks! :blowkiss:

P.S. -- if one thinks more answers could be found on Transmundane Lane, please feel free to move it. :D

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='15 February 2010 - 03:41 PM' timestamp='1266266473' post='2057608']
While in the convent one of my superiors had told us that her cross/crucifix (worn on a necklace chain as part of the habit) had been specially blessed by a Dominican priest. This priest told her that if anyone on their deathbed were to kiss that blessed cross/crucifix, then they are [b]guaranteed [/b]NOT to go to Hell. (Yes, "saved" by a mere kiss! There was no mention of a "deathbed conversion" or "perfect contrition" -- I asked. :nerd: ) This superior also said that this blessing could only be given by Dominicans.

So naturally after hearing that I wanted [i]my[/i] cross/crucifix blessed, too! :lol: The next time I saw a Dominican (he happened to be a deacon at the time), I asked him about this blessing and he said he had never of it. :scratchhead: :idontknow:

I've tried searching online for any information on this, but haven't come up with anything.

Does anyone else know anything about this special cross/crucifix blessing and "saving kiss"? Please, enlighten me. :saint:

Thanks! :blowkiss:

P.S. -- if one thinks more answers could be found on Transmundane Lane, please feel free to move it. :D
[/quote]

Since the Church has the ability to dispense grace, there are certain blessings which can pardon a person from any "time" in purgatory, such as the apostolic pardon. Most priests or religious do not grant these blessings, however, because they don't want to lead people into presumption.

However, all these sorts of blessings require that an individual is capable of receiving the grace (in other words, the soul must be properly disposed to receive the grace, no unconfessed mortal sins, etc.). I'm sure that one has to kiss the crucifix with authentic devotion and that there are other requirements.

Aside from that, however, I have never heard of this blessing, but then, I'm not a Dominican. ;)

God bless,

Micah