An Old School Catholic Message Board

Franciscan Sisters Minor (Fsm)

Rising_Suns

Their address is given on the brothers' website now:

[url]http://www.franciscanbrothersminor.com/FBM/Our_Sisters/Our_Sisters.html[/url]

I don't know if they have a website of their own.

Very interesting horarium. NO communal prayer. GREAT silence all Day! They sound like hermits in community, related to Carmelites, Camaldolese, even Carthusians!

Am I reading this correctly?

[quote name='Yaatee' timestamp='1300154053' post='2220782']
Very interesting horarium. NO communal prayer. GREAT silence all Day! They sound like hermits in community, related to Carmelites, Camaldolese, even Carthusians!

Am I reading this correctly?
[/quote]

What makes you think they do not have communal prayer? They would likely do the Liturgy of the Hours, mass, rosary and adoration together!

[url=http://www.todayscatholicnews.org/2011/01/franciscan-sisters-minor-live-life-of-prayer-and-service/]This more recent article[/url] talks about their way of life in more detail, and includes the phone number of the parish where they may be reached.

Edited by MithLuin

OnlySunshine

[quote name='MithLuin' timestamp='1300240097' post='2221029']
What makes you think they do not have communal prayer? They would likely do the Liturgy of the Hours, mass, rosary and adoration together!
[/quote]

It says on the supplied horarium that they do not have communal prayer:

[quote]Meals are taken in silence as desired. [b]No communal prayer[/b]. Liturgy of the Hours, Rosary, Formal Meditation, and Examination of Conscience are required of each Sister. Up to 2 hours of study and up to 2 hours of duty may be taken. Walks and rest are taken as needed. Grand Silence observed all day.[/quote]

It appears that the Sisters pray the LOTH in private.

[url="http://ja-jp.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=2258952944&topic=2588"]Horarium[/url]

Oh, I think that's just on Fridays. Other days would have a more typically communal monastic practice. I think. (I've never met or spoken to any of these ladies, so I really wouldn't know.)

Pax_et bonum

[quote name='Lumiere' timestamp='1300240509' post='2221032']
Some news [url="http://www.franciscanbrothersminor.com/FBM/Friar_News.html"]here[/url].
[/quote]

That makes me so happy! I've been hesitant with discerning with them because they're so new and stuff.

If I ever make my visit I'll definitely let you all know about communal prayer, but I also took that as no communal prayer just on Fridays.

franciscanheart

[quote name='FSM Sister' timestamp='1287370100' post='2180283']
Interesting what people think is permitted and not permitted. People still ask me if I shave my head, or ask what color hair I have. Like most people, the hair color on my head matches my eyebrows. :like:
[/quote]
:hehe:

[quote name='FSM Sister' timestamp='1287370100' post='2180283']

Interesting what people think is permitted and not permitted. People still ask me if I shave my head, or ask what color hair I have. Like most people, the hair color on my head matches my eyebrows. :like:
[/quote]

I think the head shaving question is valid. I'm getting ready to go on visits to different communities and I wonder if they shave their heads, like was/is done in the Hasidic Jewish tradition, or if their hair is just cut short or if they keep their hair. I wouldn't mind shaving my head, it's so much easier that way.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='emilier98' timestamp='1300411638' post='2221469']
I think the head shaving question is valid. I'm getting ready to go on visits to different communities and I wonder if they shave their heads, like was/is done in the Hasidic Jewish tradition, or if their hair is just cut short or if they keep their hair. I wouldn't mind shaving my head, it's so much easier that way.
[/quote]

My future community shaves their heads.

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1300420170' post='2221490']
My future community shaves their heads.
[/quote]

Somehow with a veil that seems like the logical thing to do. I can imagine without hair it's a bit warm under the veil and with hair even warmer.

OnlySunshine

Don't the Lockport Dominicans and the Passionist nuns shave their heads as well? I'm pretty sure the Lockport Dominicans do because one young woman left and had to wear a wig for a while until her hair grew out.

Indwelling Trinity

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1300240406' post='2221031']
It says on the supplied horarium that they do not have communal prayer:

It appears that the Sisters pray the LOTH in private.

[url="http://ja-jp.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=2258952944&topic=2588"]Horarium[/url]
[/quote]

This is very interesting... as their horarium and way of life is in many ways almost identical to the Missionaries of Charity Contemplatives.