An Old School Catholic Message Board

Religious On The Net?

LightofMary

Depends on if it fits in with thier mission/ charism. For example for an order like the Daugthers of St. Paul who evangelize through the media it would be a very good idea. There needs to be a presence of religious on web for sure because that's where the people are. But being on internet discussions and stuff may not be appropriate for some orders b/c it can be distractive.

I think it could be a ministry in its own right (not only for religious) with a time limit set and also guide to those sites accessed. We are only just beginning to explore the possibilities of cyberspace.

Barb

[quote name='BarbaraTherese' date='25 February 2010 - 06:27 PM' timestamp='1267140466' post='2063007']
I think it could be a ministry in its own right (not only for religious) with a time limit set and also guide to those sites accessed. We are only just beginning to explore the possibilities of cyberspace.

Barb
[/quote]

I am finding that it is a ministry even though our primary charism is not media. I think religious can use any instrument of technology for evangelization. I was glad that Pope Benedict XVI agrees as he encouraged priests to use this medium to engage the world for the good.

laetitia crucis

I tend to think that having religious engaged on the internet to be a good thing, especially in terms of just getting themselves "out there", you know? Our society has become highly involved in social networking. These days, it seems people are more likely to e-mail and text rather than phoning someone or writing a letter, especially the younger generations. We congregate online for nearly everything. I think it's very important to have a good Catholic presence there, otherwise... well, we could just as easily get sucked up into "the world". Like you said, technology can be used as an instrument of evangelization, and I completely agree with that. However, I agree with Shana's statement as well, in the need to carefully discern what to be involved in. If there is a danger to that religious vocation and/or charism of the Order and way of life, then perhaps it could be too risky. Again, this would be something to bring to prayer and discern carefully.

I also think various facets of technology can work extremely well for promoting vocations. If there's more information about an Order available online, then I know I'm more likely consider looking into that Order. The more I can find out about them, the more likely it is that I'd initiate formal discernment with them. (But then again, I tend to be a research-oriented type of person...I especially enjoy learning about different Orders. :nerd: :hehe: )

What strikes me about the web and Catholic Discussion sites specifically is that it is international immediately one posts; one is immediately speaking to the whole world and this has never been available (or most rarely) to the ordinary person either religious or lay until the internet - I notice most always how many are actually posting into a thread and how many may be reading it. The other thing is of course that what one posts stays forever on the web. This is why I think it is so important to keep Charity and unity (not necessarily uniformity) in mind when posting. Sometimes we get to know how many we may have actually converted or triggered repentance, return to The Faith... to start to think new thoughts....but with the web, we will probably never ever know until Heaven. I find something truly beautiful about this, something wonderful. Dont ask me why, it is just how it strikes me.

Blessings this Lent - Barb

[quote name='BarbaraTherese' date='25 February 2010 - 11:47 PM' timestamp='1267159625' post='2063137']
What strikes me about the web and Catholic Discussion sites specifically is that it is international immediately one posts; one is immediately speaking to the whole world and this has never been available (or most rarely) to the ordinary person either religious or lay until the internet - I notice most always how many are actually posting into a thread and how many may be reading it. The other thing is of course that what one posts stays forever on the web. This is why I think it is so important to keep Charity and unity (not necessarily uniformity) in mind when posting. Sometimes we get to know how many we may have actually converted or triggered repentance, return to The Faith... to start to think new thoughts....but with the web, we will probably never ever know until Heaven. I find something truly beautiful about this, something wonderful. Dont ask me why, it is just how it strikes me.

[/quote]

I agree. The printed text carries with it a weight which can be for good or bad. We don't know who reads it, and what state of emotional or spiritual need, they may be in. We should always defend the truth but always in charity.

[quote name='LightofMary' date='27 February 2010 - 01:00 AM' timestamp='1267194605' post='2063180']
I agree. The printed text carries with it a weight which can be for good or bad. We don't know who reads it, and what state of emotional or spiritual need, they may be in. We should always defend the truth but always in charity.
[/quote]

Thank you for the affirming, LightofMary (beautiful tag!) "everyday keep encouraging one another" (Introd. to the Divine Office).
I am studying Mosaics at the moment and it can speak to Charity and unity in The Church I have reflected. One uses all kinds of different tiles - different colours, all cut differently by different techniques and into different sizes - but it is not until the overall design is grouted that the whole lovely artwork comes together and speaks to the viewer as a unity - a whole. Charity is like grout in a mosaic - it brings everything together (and it can come in all kinds of different colours) and unifies the whole Church into one, or unifies it. We are one hopefully in Charity - in mutual love, esteem and appreciation. While we all are different people, unique, with different personalities, specialties, education, biases, opinions, concepts etc. etc. (like the artist-cut tiles in a mosaic). Not only virtue makes us the people we are, but paradoxically too, our faults and failings also shape us. Without these we simply would not be the people that we are, or the person we are. Of interest, our canonized saints are not even without often faults and failings which can speak to my concept. Our faults and failings are not of course for embracing, rather to struggle against and this struggle too shapes us into our unique selfhood.

We need always be defenders of truth, for God is Truth. But I read somewhere that truth without Charity can only ever be half the truth or a half truth. God is Truth and He is Love.

Hope that wasn't too confused. I know what I mean :sadder:

Barb

Edited by BarbaraTherese

[quote name='BarbaraTherese' date='26 February 2010 - 06:45 PM' timestamp='1267227913' post='2063408']
Thank you for the affirming, LightofMary (beautiful tag!) "everyday keep encouraging one another" (Introd. to the Divine Office).
I am studying Mosaics at the moment and it can speak to Charity and unity in The Church I have reflected. One uses all kinds of different tiles - different colours, all cut differently by different techniques and into different sizes - but it is not until the overall design is grouted that the whole lovely artwork comes together and speaks to the viewer as a unity - a whole. Charity is like grout in a mosaic - it brings everything together (and it can come in all kinds of different colours) and unifies the whole Church into one, or unifies it. We are one hopefully in Charity - in mutual love, esteem and appreciation. While we all are different people, unique, with different personalities, specialties, education, biases, opinions, concepts etc. etc. (like the artist-cut tiles in a mosaic). Not only virtue makes us the people we are, but paradoxically too, our faults and failings also shape us. Without these we simply would not be the people that we are, or the person we are. Of interest, our canonized saints are not even without often faults and failings which can speak to my concept. Our faults and failings are not of course for embracing, rather to struggle against and this struggle too shapes us into our unique selfhood.

We need always be defenders of truth, for God is Truth. But I read somewhere that truth without Charity can only ever be half the truth or a half truth. God is Truth and He is Love.

Hope that wasn't too confused. I know what I mean :sadder:

Barb
[/quote]

I understand what you mean. Thank you for your insight.:)

[quote name='LightofMary' date='27 February 2010 - 11:10 AM' timestamp='1267231231' post='2063426']
I understand what you mean. Thank you for your insight.:)
[/quote]

Thank you very much, Light of Mary. I had doubts that I would be understood.

It depends upon the religious community itself some communities allow it and some don't while it can be a good think ,it is also good to spend only a small amount of time on the internet. For example I don't think it is good for those in formation to be on the internet as their formation is paramount to all else, that they develop their union with God and the life they are to undertake. On the otherhand it has helped several of my friends in finding a community and today they are professed, they met their communities on the internet. God works through all at His hands!!!