An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Piece Of Art Reflects Your Vocation?

vee

[quote name='Hilde' date='25 February 2010 - 05:17 PM' timestamp='1267136275' post='2062975']
St.Therese de Lisieux :)
[/quote]

She looks so different than in any other picture. Wow.

This is my art piece. A photograph by Allan Bruce Zee called "Waiting for the Believers"

http://www.allanbrucezee.com/home/abz/page_1705/waiting_for_the_believers.html

It speaks to me of so many things. God's constant "wait" for us, the spaciousness of his mercy, the clarity of his light. Eternity.

I love it.

TeresaBenedicta

[img]http://becomewhatyouare.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/angelico_annunciation.jpg[/img]

For some reason, this has always struck me...

[img]http://www.brigidmarlin.com/Images/JoyfulMysteries/Visitation.jpg[/img]

This picture of the Visitation spoke volumes to me. The Visitation has always been my most favorite mystery of the rosary. ;)

laetitia crucis

[img]http://www.corredentrice.it/immagini/Chiese/Citta_del_Vaticano_Pieta_di_%20Michelangelo.jpg[/img]

There so much about this that speaks to me.... this moment, for me, encompasses the entirety of her "Fiat". Her joys and her sorrows. I see this moment as the true "Joy of the Cross". (And I often wonder what she pondered in her Most Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart...)

Joy is "resting in the Good attained." Here, our salvation has been won. What better joy can there be for all humanity? We can now rest in the good that has been attained for us.

Our Blessed Mother encompasses her Son, and in death, He finds rest in her arms once again. Often it is within our Blessed Mother's embrace that I have found myself time and time again. She is the Cause of [My] Joy above all else. In her, I find my rest.

I suppose in my own vocation, joy and sorrow will always go hand in hand. There in always joy in sorrow, for it is the cost of our salvation. In pursuing one's vocation, there will be the sorrow of sacrifice, but joy overcomes that sorrow every time. "Those who sow in tears shall reap in joy."

This is such a burning desire within myself to share in my vocation -- to make known the "Joy of the Cross", the [i]profound[/i] love of our God and of our Blessed Mother. This is Truth. If people only knew the Truths of our Faith, [i]really[/i] knew... what joy would be theirs.

Truth is the object of our intellect; Good is the object of our Will. If Truth is not presented to be embraced by one's intellect, how then can we attain this Good -- how can we finally have that true Joy of "resting in the Good" when we have not attained it? I came to the Church through study and found the fullness of Truth within the Roman Catholic Church, which I saw to be Good. This was a source of great joy and yes, even a bit of sorrow. Yet, since that time, I've longed to share with all I knew the Truth I was blessed to find. St. Catherine of Siena hit the nail on the head when she said this:

"[i]If you are what you should be, you will set the whole world on fire. Let the truth be your delight...proclaim it...but with a certain congeniality.[/i]" -- St. Catherine of Siena

P.S. -- I hope at least some of this is coherent. :hehehe: It's [i]way [/i]past my bedtime (Thank you, Olympics! -- Yu-Na Kim!!!), but I finally decided to go with my instinctual choice of Michelangelo's "Pieta" and wanted to post before going to sleep and forgetting what I wanted to say in the morning.

[b]Edit[/b]: I suppose I would say the same (as the above) for this image as well -- Our Lady of Peace (shrine, in San Jose, CA). Even though I believe she's supposed to be the Immaculate Conception, her face to me looks as the Sorrowful Mother. I could contemplate this image and Michelangelos' "Pieta" for hours on end. I've only seen the Our Lady of Peace shrine in real life. I hope one day to see the "Pieta" in person, too. :love:

[img]http://www.olop-shrine.org/images/shrine_clouds_02a.jpg[/img]

Edited by laetitia crucis

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='Shana' date='25 February 2010 - 11:44 AM' timestamp='1267112666' post='2062845']
I have to agree with nunsense:

[img]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e212/TheSmithsonian1/bernini1.jpg[/img]

Bernini
Ecstacy of St. Teresa

Though I don't want to limit it to one so I'll look for another and get back. I need to look for a Theology of the Body related piece of art, (not to say this one isn't).
[/quote]

I was reading Jason Evert's book a couple days ago, "Theology of Her Body/Theology of His Body." He mentions St. Teresa of Avila and this work, quoting Christopher West...

[quote]BEAUTY IN ACTION

Examples of such women [a living model of virtue] can be found throughout history. In the 16th century the great Doctor of the Church, St. Teresa of Avila helped reform the Church during a time of great confusion and corruption. Known especially for her mystical prayer life, she is the subject of perhaps one of the most beautiful sculptures ever crafted: Bernini's "The Ecstasy of St. Teresa." In it, the artist depicts Teresa experiencing the deepest form of mystical prayer. She does not appear somber and contemplative. Quite the opposite.

Christopher West explains: 'Memorialized in stone, we see the angel of love poised to thrust his wounding arrow into Teresa's heart. Her face-masterfully sculpted by Bernini- tells the story of a mystic who is tasting, as John Paul describes it, 'the paradoxical blending of bliss and pain' as '[i]something akin to Jesus experience on the Cross[/i]' (NM127). And one would have to be either blind or ignorant not to notice that she looks like a bride in the climax of her nuptial union.'

Such a description of a nun lost in prayer might seem scandalous. But we must remember that the Bible describes the one-flesh union of a husband and wife to be a great mystery as it relates to Christ and His Church (Eph. 5:31-32). In teaching us this, St. Paul is not implying that God's love for us is sexual, but rather that God's love for us is so intimate and fulfilling that, again, of all human experiences, the martial embrace best reflects this reality. Through this intimate union, as through the beautiful spirituality of St. Teresa, God's love for His Church becomes visible. [/quote]

Anyway... interesting way to tie that statue into a book discussing Theology of the Body...

AccountDeleted

[quote name='TotusTuusMaria' date='26 February 2010 - 06:57 PM' timestamp='1267171073' post='2063166']
I was reading Jason Evert's book a couple days ago, "Theology of Her Body/Theology of His Body." He mentions St. Teresa of Avila and this work, quoting Christopher West...

Anyway... interesting way to tie that statue into a book discussing Theology of the Body...
[/quote]

What can I say? The statue says it all for me, but your quote explains it... "God's love for us is so intimate and fulfilling that, again, of all human experiences, the marital embrace best reflects this reality". The love of a man and a woman is a pale reflection of the love that exists between God and the human soul.

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='26 February 2010 - 02:55 AM' timestamp='1267167343' post='2063161']
[img]http://www.corredentrice.it/immagini/Chiese/Citta_del_Vaticano_Pieta_di_%20Michelangelo.jpg[/img]
[/quote]
No fair -- you picked my choice :P .

My rationale for the choice is a bit different though ... last year (august) on retreat I kept being drawn into the cross. The whole retreat I contemplated on the cross. I also was quite ill during the entire retreat (due to medication I was on).

At some point during the retreat, I imagined/saw myself in Our Lady's arms as in the Pieta.

Our faith walk can be seen as a dying to self; and I was comforted knowing that in this process we are held in Our Lady's arms. That in some mysterious way, we share in Christ's suffering and yet at the same time, He and Our Lady shares in ours. And we are called to that continual dying until the day we find ourselves in the eternal arms of God, face to face with our Creator.

I have not been able to look at the Pieta in the same way ever since that retreat.

Indwelling Trinity

[img]http://www.paintingall.com/images/P/p-14501-15799.jpeg[/img]

This just melts my heart in wonder of the greatness of God's merciful salvific love.

tenderly,

Indwelling Trinity

Edited by Indwelling Trinity

laetitia crucis

[quote name='cmariadiaz' date='26 February 2010 - 06:56 PM' timestamp='1267224982' post='2063390']
No fair -- you picked my choice :P .

My rationale for the choice is a bit different though ... last year (august) on retreat I kept being drawn into the cross. The whole retreat I contemplated on the cross. I also was quite ill during the entire retreat (due to medication I was on).

At some point during the retreat, I imagined/saw myself in Our Lady's arms as in the Pieta.

Our faith walk can be seen as a dying to self; and I was comforted knowing that in this process we are held in Our Lady's arms. That in some mysterious way, we share in Christ's suffering and yet at the same time, He and Our Lady shares in ours. And we are called to that continual dying until the day we find ourselves in the eternal arms of God, face to face with our Creator.

I have not been able to look at the Pieta in the same way ever since that retreat.
[/quote]

I really like your rationale for this choice, too! :yes: Especially the mutual suffering shared between ourselves and Jesus and Our Lady.

:pray:

Indwelling Trinity

[quote name='vee8' date='25 February 2010 - 02:08 AM' timestamp='1267078100' post='2062790']
In the Daughters of St Paul Chicago come and see video they have a little question that popped up and caught my attention. The question is what piece of art reflects your vocation? Well Im not sure what my vocation is right now but two pieces of art that have meaning for me are these two and am wondering what art reflects, inspired, sums up, or has anything to do with other people`s possible vocation?

[center][img]http://img1.photographersdirect.com/img/20689/wm/pd1167042.jpg[/img]

The Virgin of San Cristobal in Chile. I have never been there but when I saw this statue on tv once ... its hard to explain but I was overcome with this sense of Mary`s love for me. I hadnt been going to church at the time and was very much the prodigal daughter but seeing that statue and that sudden sense of love...

[img]http://mgwriters.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/divine-mercy.jpg?w=252&h=454[/img]

I am a poster child for Divine Mercy. The devotion, the message all of it means so much to me because Id be lost for eternity without it.

[/center]
[/quote] Vee-8 I am beginning to think we share one heart and one soul as friends.... For living the message of Divine Mercy is so deeply entwined in my whole vocation as a Carmelite that without it I would never have found my true vocation... scary

Edited by Indwelling Trinity

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Indwelling Trinity' date='01 March 2010 - 07:24 AM' timestamp='1267446240' post='2064717']
[img]http://www.paintingall.com/images/P/p-14501-15799.jpeg[/img]

This just melts my heart in wonder of the greatness of God's merciful salvific love.

tenderly,

Indwelling Trinity
[/quote]

I have this picture hanging up in my room that I found for $8 at an antique shop. I had to give it a home. :love:

AccountDeleted

I also like the Crucifix drawing by St John of the Cross

[img]http://i860.photobucket.com/albums/ab166/nunsense/phatmass%20photos/largecross.jpg[/img]

Edited by nunsense