An Old School Catholic Message Board

Diocesan Priesthood?

LouisvilleFan

LouisvilleFan

Didn't see any current topics on this particular vocation :)

So... anyone else here discerning for, applying, or attending seminary for diocesan priesthood?

laetitia crucis

I think we just need more guys on this board.

(Although, I promise I am not complaining -- I find there to be a great "sisterhood" of female discerners here! :D :yahoo: )

Two of my guy friends are currently in seminary -- one Jesuit, another Capuchin. May God bless them and make them good and holy religious priests. :sign: :pray:

LouisvilleFan

Awesome. Been a while since I've been on this board, so I don't remember where people are at. For that matter, being in active discernment has a way of changing "where" you are, especially over several months :)

I'm working to be in seminary this fall for first year philosophy.

Ephrem Augustine

I'm a dude religious...
but yeah it does oftentimes feel odd being a dude on the vocation station

laetitia crucis

[quote name='Ephrem Augustine' date='01 March 2010 - 11:07 AM' timestamp='1267456078' post='2064732']
I'm a dude religious...
but yeah it does oftentimes feel odd being a dude on the vocation station
[/quote]

Hmmm... I've been wondering about the ratio of female vs. male disceners here. :think:

Do you think perhaps guys just aren't as vocal about discerning their vocations as girls are? Or do you think in general more females are apt to discern a vocation to the religious life compared to males?

:idontknow:

I think women tend to post more about their discernment on a web forum because they may not know a lot of other people who are discerning that lifestyle. How many girls do you know of that are actively discerning and pursing a religious vocation? I think they find a solace in each other's company. They are able to share their experiences and seek advice from one another. I think this is great that the Vocation Station provides this outlet. For the guys, I think that there are a lot of guys who are discerning priesthood. They go on come and see weekends at a seminary, go on retreats with other male discerners, maybe they participate in a discernment group sponsored by their diocese. There may not be as much of a need for a guy to share his experiences on the forum because he may know others like himself, from his diocese, or are able to communicate with other diocesan seminarians from his diocese.

Just my $.02.

brightsadness

[quote name='the_rev' date='01 March 2010 - 10:29 AM' timestamp='1267464595' post='2064785']
I think women tend to post more about their discernment on a web forum because they may not know a lot of other people who are discerning that lifestyle. How many girls do you know of that are actively discerning and pursing a religious vocation? I think they find a solace in each other's company. They are able to share their experiences and seek advice from one another. I think this is great that the Vocation Station provides this outlet. For the guys, I think that there are a lot of guys who are discerning priesthood. They go on come and see weekends at a seminary, go on retreats with other male discerners, maybe they participate in a discernment group sponsored by their diocese. There may not be as much of a need for a guy to share his experiences on the forum because he may know others like himself, from his diocese, or are able to communicate with other diocesan seminarians from his diocese.

Just my $.02.
[/quote]

Very good points. Especially if the discerner feels called to CMSWR community or a Contemplative community. Take a look at the diocesan resources for female vocation discernment. There are good exceptions but the norm is not helpful.

Edited by brightsadness

laetitia crucis

[quote name='the_rev' date='01 March 2010 - 01:29 PM' timestamp='1267464595' post='2064785']

Just my $.02.
[/quote]

Ah, like brightsadness said, very good points!! :yes: That makes a lot more sense to me now.

And I think you're absolutely right about the male discernment groups in the dioceses. When I was in the Brooklyn diocese I remember one of the Sisters telling me that there was talk of starting a female discernment house, but the diocese was having a difficult time just coming up with who could lead that house since different Orders have different charisms. They wanted something neutral. That diocese had a discernment house for young men, though, which I thought was nice.

The Lexington diocese has a male discernment group run by the Cathedral parish and is doing pretty well. They're currently trying to find a way to start a female discernment group, but it seems they've had difficulties with this, too.

To my knowledge, it seems those two male discernment groups are more directed towards the diocesan priesthood. :think: I find myself wondering if there are just "general religious vocation" discernment groups out there.

Hmmmm... although, I have heard of the Diocese of Ann Arbor having two houses of discernment, one for men, one for women. I've known three Sisters in my former Order that had lived there at different times. They loved it. :)

laetitia crucis

[quote name='brightsadness' date='01 March 2010 - 01:37 PM' timestamp='1267465052' post='2064788']
Very good points. Especially if the discerner feels called to CMSWR community or a Contemplative community. Take a look at the diocesan resources for female vocation discernment. There are good exceptions but the norm is not helpful.
[/quote]

Oy, so very true, brightsadness!! When I moved back home, one of the first places I checked for discernment groups was on my archdiocesan vocations' page. I don't think there's even one CMSWR community in my archdiocese... oh wait!! We do have the Little Sisters of the Poor! (Blessed be God!!!) All the other communities are members of the LCWR. :ohno: :sadder:

Hmmm... and I think we might have a contemplative Carmelite monastery. :scratchhead: