An Old School Catholic Message Board

If You Could Design A Habit...

Tridenteen

JMJ
I checked out Wrights Catalouge, and that got me to delusionally designing habits in my mind.[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/happy.gif[/img] If I could design a habit it would be like the DSMME, all white with the cape thing, but the scapular would be purple (for penance) the cape would have JMJ embroidered on the cape's front. Their would be a chapel cloak, purple (penance!) and the veil woul be purple as well. Now, what woul I do for the headwear??? I know there would definitley be a wimple...
Anyways, the title is pretty self explanatory, if you could design a habit, what would you design, and what would the symbology behing it be? I know there are orders where they have specific rosaries, a certain number of notches in the belt cincture to smybolize virtues, and so on. Nursing habits seem to usually have foldable sleeves, and pinnup veils. Contemplative habits seems to very flowing, and concealing (poor choice of words, what do I want to say?) and teaaching habits seem to have lots of stuff for little children to hang off of. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/lol_roll.gif[/img] So, ideas, pictures, descriptions, patterns, I'm curious, and I have just finished my school work!

alrichey53091

If I were to design a habit it would look similar to these sisters...
http://www.sistersofmarymotherofthechurch.org/

or these sisters...
http://www.capuchinsisters.com/

:D

I would design a habit along the lines of what I am trying to make for myself, for when I go on retreat. It is a very unfussy. low-maintenance and "practical" idea. Being a Benedictine, of course, I stick with black and white!

1)Black skirt or trousers (in cold weather, trousers are good things!)with deepish pockets

2)Black simple tunic-type shirt with 3/4 sleeves (no buttons,cuffs or collars)

3)Black scapular that hangs loosely to just below the knees. The point of the scapular, aside from reflecting the yoke of the Lord, is for it to encourage inwardness at prayer. I find that hands beneath a scapular at prayer encourages interior silence.

4)Black cotton scarf (no fringe) with white edges, worn in a "Jerusalem Twist" - an homage to Our Lady.

[img]http://www.tznius.com/images/products/jerusalemtwiststep6.JPG[/img]

5)Black shoes or sandals with black socks.

6)Jubilee Medal of St. Benedict on a chain, around the neck.

As I said, very simple, unfussy, and the sort of thing a layperson could reasonably wear on retreat. But I think it would be a good habit, too!

All that said, I must say I do very much love the cap and veil worn by the Passionist Nuns.

Edited by DameAgnes

KeenanParkerII

Cisternian habit for sure!

[img]http://vultus.stblogs.org/MJ-Cassant.jpg[/img]

If I had to design my own, I'd keep the same schema but make the blue a dark dark red/purple. I'll let you connect the dots concerning the colour. =)

laetitia crucis

Ooooh! What a fun topic!! :clap: I must admit, I've spent time in the past pondering my "ideal" habit, though now I think I'd just prefer much more simplicity in color. However, given the topic, I'll post what I pondered before. :hehe:

So.. here we go!

The general pattern would be like that of the Sisters of Life:

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v124/sadora/Sr%20AMG/SVngroup1.jpg[/img]

EXCEPT the following:

- Instead of the navy blue (for Our Lady - which I heart!) scapular and cape, I'd have those as blood-red (for the Blood of Christ, the Blood of the Martyrs, and the Holy Spirit). I am particularly fond of the length of the S.V.'s cape and the wideness and length of their tunics and sleeves. The professed blue band on the veil would match the blood-red, while the rest of still be white.

- Maintain the white of the tunic and veil for purity.

- Please, no ironed lines/folds in the scapular. (I've always wondered why Dominicans have this? :detective: )

- Sandals always. (Unless one is environmentally in danger of frostbite.)

- Rope belt w/four knots (poverty, chastity, obedience, AND the Marian Vow)

- Papal Cross (JPII) worn as necklace

- Ah, and the veil pattern would be different from the Sisters of Life veils because every time I look at their veils I immediately think, "Hey, that veil's inside-out!!!" (See below -- #1) I have to do a double-take and remember it's just a different pattern than I'm used to. Hahaha! I like the length (widest part at hip), the pointed-end, but I'd prefer the back be seamless (like the SSVM veils -- see below #2). And I don't like any hair showing. FULL veil all the way! :D

#1 [IMG]http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy305/laetitia_crucis/Random/SistersofLifeprofession.jpg[/IMG]

#2 [IMG]http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy305/laetitia_crucis/Random/blueveils.jpg[/IMG]

- Oh, and ya gotta have the [b]20 decade[/b] Rosary worn on the belt -- complete with Christ on the Cross! :twothumbsup:

- During the investiture, the ENTIRE habit would be blessed as a sacramental, not just the scapular. :)) (Bless the new veil, too, for Profession.)

- Under the habit, one would wear the Brown scapular, Miraculous Medal, and Medal of St. Benedict.

- Under the veil = shaved head. :smokey:

:think: .... yep. I always thought (way back in the day) if I were to found it Order, it would be under the patronage of the most Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary. The only thing is, I couldn't think of a way to incorporate the Marian quality that I'd want (besides that 4th knot and the 20-decade Rosary). "Blood Red" doesn't seem to scream "MARY!", does it? :blush:

Anyhoo. 'Tis a good thing I'm not called to found an Order or design a habit. I think the blood-red could be somewhat jarring for people. :hehehe: And I'm probably a little high maintenance in these regards... :P

laetitia crucis

P.S. -- I'd also want the full cape for special days (like ALL Solemnities, not just particularly special feast days), just like this one:

[img]http://www.dominicansrs.co.uk/News/Images_NEWS/Margarita%20Past/source/image/10._procession_at_final_profession.jpg[/img]

:love:

If I could design a habit it would be brown with a black veil, a white mantle, and bare feet or sandals.... oh wait its already been designed :))

A couple of questions: Why does it say I am an "alien"? What does that mean?

2) laetitia crucis, I love your enthusiasm (and the idea of a blood red color, because that's always good-looking) but if you bless the "whole" habit, how do you ever sit down? I understand sisters do not sit on their scapulars b/c it is blessed.

3) if one is wearing a scapular, doesn't that sort of take away the necessity of wearing a brown scapular, as well?

(not being difficult, really want to know).

But seriously...to me, the Nashville Dominican, DSSME's and Sisters of Life (and the Sister Servants of the Eternal Word, for that matter) all seem to have a similar foundation for the habit, and I do think it's a terrific one. Let's see...if the Sisters of Life have Blue, and the SSEW's have Brown, then yep...it's time for RED! :-)

Edited by DameAgnes

laetitia crucis

[quote name='DameAgnes' date='03 March 2010 - 07:25 PM' timestamp='1267658711' post='2066201']
A couple of questions: Why does it say I am an "alien"? What does that mean?

2) laetitia crucis, I love your enthusiasm (and the idea of a blood red color, because that's always good-looking) but if you bless the "whole" habit, how do you ever sit down? I understand sisters do not sit on their scapulars b/c it is blessed.

3) if one is wearing a scapular, doesn't that sort of take away the necessity of wearing a brown scapular, as well?

(not being difficult, really want to know).

But seriously...to me, the Nashville Dominican, DSSME's and Sisters of Life (and the Sister Servants of the Eternal Word, for that matter) all seem to have a similar foundation for the habit, and I do think it's a terrific one. Let's see...if the Sisters of Life have Blue, and the SSEW's have Brown, then yep...it's time for RED! :-)
[/quote]

:D

1) I don't really know what the term "Alien" means for PM and am also curious about that as well! :scratchhead: However, I do know that it's one of the "groups" we're put in based on how many posts we have. After "PM Alien" comes "Super Alien", I think. Then "PM Pham", and then I can't remember.... this should help: [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=60970"]Everything About the Phorum[/url]. :)

2) Ahhhh! I had always wondered why some Sisters never sat on their scapulars. (Now it makes MUCH more sense!) Some of the Sisters in the SSVM did that and said, "I learned it from the Dominicans -- it's so you don't get as wrinkled." :lol: So, I thought it was just so you'd look neater. Although, in all honesty, I found no difference in how wrinkly I got -- sitting on the scapular vs. not. :hehe: The SSVMs have their entire habits blessed at the investiture and I always loved that. I guess it never occurred to me about literally sitting on a sacramental. :blush:

3) You bring up another good question about wearing the Brown Scapular, too. :think: Hmmm... I guess I'd want to wear it because of the promises attached to it -- for Our Lady's added protection. However, that makes me wonder if all scapulars regardless of color have that same promise of protection... :idontknow: The Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate wear the Brown Scapular and Rosary under their habits, though they do not have a scapular as part of their exterior habit. All the SSVMs wear one, too, though it's not required. And I think my Sister of Life novice friend told me that all them wear one, too.

Now I'm really curious! :lol:

Edited by laetitia crucis

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='03 March 2010 - 05:40 PM' timestamp='1267656046' post='2066186']
P.S. -- I'd also want the full cape for special days (like ALL Solemnities, not just particularly special feast days), just like this one:

[img]http://www.dominicansrs.co.uk/News/Images_NEWS/Margarita%20Past/source/image/10._procession_at_final_profession.jpg[/img]

[b]JMJ
Ok, so this is my dream habit. Just imagine the cloak and scapular and veil purple for penance, JMJ embroidered on the front of the cape, to symbolize the years of prayer and contemplation Christ spent with his parents. A 15 decade wooden (in honor of the Cross) rosary (Our Lady's Sword) hanging from a white cord wound around the waist twice (for the dual natures if Christ, God and Man ) the wimple and cape are connected and loose, think Carmelite, and the headress in the picture is smaller in dimension, and for the teaching sisters. The nursing Sisters wear Benedictines of Mary headresses, and the contemplative wear a smaler version of that frilly bonnet from the Sisters of Providence. They all wear sandals. The different headress is for each congregation.
Charitian Sisters of Saint Peter (CSSP)
Sisters of Charity of Our Lady of Ransom-Contemplative
Sisters of Our Lady of Good Succor-Nursing
Sisters of Charity of Our Lady of Good Counsel-Teaching

When the sisters would be novices, they wear all white, excepting cloak, and they all wear the Saint Bernadette of Lourdes guimpe, then when they choose which congregaiton to enter, make 1st profession, and recieve puple veil, scapular, and head wear :-) Oh, the postulants would wear the Mother Elizabeth Ann Seton garb.

My friends and I get together periodically sketch out habits for fun, and imagine what the sisters who would wear them do....that's what happens when you make paper nun dolls for your little sisters, you get creative!

Tridenteen
Why is this all in the quote box?
[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/love.gif[/img]
[/quote][/b]

Edited by Tridenteen

[quote name='DameAgnes' date='03 March 2010 - 04:25 PM' timestamp='1267658711' post='2066201']

[/quote]

I can answer this! :-D

When I first met the Sisters of Life, they were being assisted in their foundation by Mother Assumpta, who was at the time a part of the Nashville Dominicans. An early benefactor gave the Sisters of Life a TON of beige fabric. So their original 'habit' was a long beige skirt and tunic. It was... kind of dreadful. LOL One day the sisters were sitting with His Emminence Cardinal O'Connor and Mother Assumpta discussing their habit. The sisters didn't see what was wrong with what they had. His Emminence and Mother A. looked at each other and shook their heads. The new habit was born, with blue capes and scapulars for our Lady and a blue headband on the veil once they're professed. That's of course what they wear today.

Then, Mother returned to Nashville for a little while before leaving to start the DSMME. Her blood sister, Mother Mary Gabriel, who was also a Nashville Dominican, left Nashville also to help Mother Angelica to found the SSEW. When I first visited the PCPA in (then) Irondale, when they were near EWTN, I also met the SSEW. At the time they were the externs for the PCPAs, and both attended the old OLAM chapel. Anyway, they kept the Dominican style of habit for Mother Mary Gabriel's Dominican roots and patronage and changed the cape and scapular and head band to brown for the PCPA's patronage to St. Francis. Then, of course, the SSEW, while still in AL, are no longer affiliated with the PCPA.

So... yes, they all have the same foundation for the habit since the two sisters, who were Sisters (LOL I love saying that) in Nashville, assisted in one way shape or form in the foundation of these three other communities. :D

[quote name='brightsadness' date='03 March 2010 - 03:55 PM' timestamp='1267649722' post='2066126']
[img]http://www.synod.com/synod/engdocuments/images/vassa2.jpg[/img]This works for me.
[/quote]

JMJ
This looks, Byzantine? What order?

laetitia crucis

[quote name='HisChild' date='03 March 2010 - 09:29 PM' timestamp='1267666158' post='2066228']
I can answer this! :-D

When I first met the Sisters of Life, they were being assisted in their foundation by Mother Assumpta, who was at the time a part of the Nashville Dominicans. An early benefactor gave the Sisters of Life a TON of beige fabric. So their original 'habit' was a long beige skirt and tunic. It was... kind of dreadful. LOL One day the sisters were sitting with His Emminence Cardinal O'Connor and Mother Assumpta discussing their habit. The sisters didn't see what was wrong with what they had. His Emminence and Mother A. looked at each other and shook their heads. The new habit was born, with blue capes and scapulars for our Lady and a blue headband on the veil once they're professed. That's of course what they wear today.

Then, Mother returned to Nashville for a little while before leaving to start the DSMME. Her blood sister, Mother Mary Gabriel, who was also a Nashville Dominican, left Nashville also to help Mother Angelica to found the SSEW. When I first visited the PCPA in (then) Irondale, when they were near EWTN, I also met the SSEW. At the time they were the externs for the PCPAs, and both attended the old OLAM chapel. Anyway, they kept the Dominican style of habit for Mother Mary Gabriel's Dominican roots and patronage and changed the cape and scapular and head band to brown for the PCPA's patronage to St. Francis. Then, of course, the SSEW, while still in AL, are no longer affiliated with the PCPA.

So... yes, they all have the same foundation for the habit since the two sisters, who were Sisters (LOL I love saying that) in Nashville, assisted in one way shape or form in the foundation of these three other communities. :D
[/quote]

I remember hearing a slight variation on this when I went to a Sisters of Life "Come and See" weekend almost five years ago!! Awesome, awesome, awesome tidbits!!! :clap:

Also, the slight various I heard was this:

Cardinal O'Connor (to M. Assumpta): I want them to have habits like yours.
M. Assumpta: But you can't! -- It's [i]our[/i] Dominican habit!!
Cardinal O'Connor: Well...then add some blue for Our Lady!

:lol: :hehe:

Hmmm... I wonder what they did with all that beige fabric? Did they use it to make the tunics? :)

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='03 March 2010 - 07:03 PM' timestamp='1267668200' post='2066241']
I remember hearing a slight variation on this when I went to a Sisters of Life "Come and See" weekend almost five years ago!! Awesome, awesome, awesome tidbits!!! :clap:

Also, the slight various I heard was this:

Cardinal O'Connor (to M. Assumpta): I want them to have habits like yours.
M. Assumpta: But you can't! -- It's [i]our[/i] Dominican habit!!
Cardinal O'Connor: Well...then add some blue for Our Lady!

:lol: :hehe:

Hmmm... I wonder what they did with all that beige fabric? Did they use it to make the tunics? :)
[/quote]

No. *I* had to wear it as a postulant!!! :weep:

I think they eventually ran out, because aren't the postulants now in blue?