An Old School Catholic Message Board

If You Could Design A Habit...

Tridenteen

OnlySunshine

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1303088059' post='2229633']
Just thinking of all that's involved in started up an order... the special calling to do so... the leadership, grace, strength, persistance, crosses, holiness... It makes my knees tremble.

I love the idea of mixing Carmelite with Franciscan. I really like Carmelite teachings.
[/quote]

I thought the process was daunting myself. I do not possess strong leadership skills, so I would probably not be suited to form my own religious order. I can't imagine going through the process. I really liked Carmelite and Franciscan charisms at the time, but now I am more into Franciscan and Dominican charisms. I really am not attracted to the Carmelites anymore. :)

• 1 year later...

[quote]4)Black cotton scarf (no fringe) with white edges, worn in a "Jerusalem Twist" - an homage to Our Lady.

[img]http://www.tznius.com/images/products/jerusalemtwiststep6.JPG[/img][/quote]

This is exactly how the Monastic community of Jerusalem wears their veil.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1303090827' post='2229651']
I thought the process was daunting myself. I do not possess strong leadership skills, so I would probably not be suited to form my own religious order. I can't imagine going through the process. I really liked Carmelite and Franciscan charisms at the time, but now I am more into Franciscan and Dominican charisms. I really am not attracted to the Carmelites anymore. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img]
[/quote]

Good Lord, how things change. :hehe2:

I don't attach myself to any charism but Marian. I think Dominicans and Franciscans are amesome, but I am discerning with a missionary, trinitarian order that is Marian. In fact, if I had to compare their charism to one of the popular ones, it would be most like the Franciscans. :)

PhuturePriest

I could never found an Order. I would never be able to decide upon the Habit. I love the Dominican habit with the cappa, but I also love the Franciscan habit. I then also love the Carmelites, the Trappists, and even the Knights of the Holy Eucharist habit. I just wouldn't be able to decide. That's why I'm going to let God decide for me. :P

The habit is based on the rule being followed.

Before doing anything about a habit, figure out the spirituality. My SD is the former prez of the defunct Fellowship of Emerging Religious Communities, and he said the founders would show up in the most outlandish habits because they were trying to cram too much into it.

Start with the Personal Prayer Rule, and let that branch out into what you visualize the community doing.

Rules and habits will evolve. And do your research into what's out there already. "Get lots of advice," my SD says. Read up on the lives of the founders. Publish a webpage and see what happens.

I dearly love this thread!

Blessings,
Gemma

mantellata

I always get a little nervous when I hear of a new community and the first thing the founder or foundress has to say is about their habit (usually given by God in a vision or some such thing). While canon law and [i]Essential Elements, and Vita Consecrata[/i] all stipulate that a religious must have a distinctive garb since they are called to a [u]public[/u] witness in the Church - if that's the starting point, one has to wonder. A habit is a great gift - but the simpler the better if the aim is holiness. :)

Mon, I think you may be out of luck. The closest thing to a soldier-style religious community is the Jesuits (the Company of Jesus, as in military company)..... they've resisted a female branch for centuries. So... I don't think you're gonna get that camo habit.....

You might be able to get away with something akin to this for a work habit IF you can find a team called the 'Hermanas....".

[img]http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5175/5389560141_735870cd88_m.jpg[/img]

Edited by AnneLine

mysisterisalittlesister

Just off the top of my head...Cloistered contemplative habit:
BARE FEET for penance :)
White vail and floor- length white tunic for purity.
brown scapular
Black belt over scapular
Wimple :smile2:
Still working on it!

Edited by mysisterisalittlesister

maximillion

I am a messy bod, white would never do though I like the purity thing.

Blue veil (under Mary's protection.) Novices wear white in juniorate and white with blue edge once in Vows.
Latte habit (I am food orientated) with blue over shirt for workwear.
Dark brown scapular.
Barefoot for contemplatives, sandals for the active branch.
Simple wooden cross with no corpus - for same reason as Carmelites.
Rope cincture.