An Old School Catholic Message Board

If You Could Design A Habit...

Tridenteen

CatherineM

I think a runway of habits would be neat. Have it as part of a vocation retreat.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='CatherineM' date='08 May 2010 - 02:28 AM' timestamp='1273296488' post='2106756']
I think a runway of habits would be neat. Have it as part of a vocation retreat.
[/quote]

Maybe with a "Name this Order/Community!" type game, too... :hehe: I'd want to play!

[quote name='JTheresa' date='08 May 2010 - 12:54 AM' timestamp='1273294496' post='2106732']
Omygosh i just saw these Sister's habits and I fell in love!!! They have Saint Francis and Saint Dominic as their patrons!!! AAHHH!!! Why can't I have the best of both worlds?!?!? :weep:
Haha. just kiddin. I love His plan for me. :)

Here they are:
[img]http://www.sisterservants.org/images/DSC_0150_2.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.sisterservants.org/images/DSC07199_000.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.sisterservants.org/images/DSC02905_2_3_000.jpg[/img]

They have the style and a fifteen decade rosary like the dominicans (their foundress was a dominican) but the cape and scapular are brown plus they wear the three knotted cord like the franciscans!!! I love it!!
[/quote]

Hehe I wore that habit for four years ... and those last two pictures, yep ... were taken by me! :blush: (I was the general photographer while I was there ... for ceremonies, a professional photographer we know would donate her services, but for any other pictures, it was yours truly!)

Edited by CherieMadame

DevotedtoHim

These are my favorites and I guess a compilation would be great:

*Just for the record, my habit HAS to have the wimple!

Cistercians in WI
Real Dominican Habit (like Lockport, also I think Menlo Park went back to real one)
Real Carmelite Habit (with wimple and chapel veil)
Benedictines in CT or in Vermont or the ones in the Midwest or CO (but don't forget I need a cowl for praying!)
Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Church (the ones that came back to Rome)
The Poor Clares (PCC's)

The only thing that is sort of missing from most habits is a nice, full, long skirt. I wish the Cistercians had a longer skirt! Also, I am pretty sure I would want to stick to a combination of black and white. Or white and black.

Katherine

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='DevotedtoHim' date='11 May 2010 - 05:18 PM' timestamp='1273616304' post='2108990']
These are my favorites and I guess a compilation would be great:

*Just for the record, my habit HAS to have the wimple!

Cistercians in WI
Real Dominican Habit (like Lockport, also I think Menlo Park went back to real one)
Real Carmelite Habit (with wimple and chapel veil)
Benedictines in CT or in Vermont or the ones in the Midwest or CO (but don't forget I need a cowl for praying!)
Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Church (the ones that came back to Rome)
The Poor Clares (PCC's)

The only thing that is sort of missing from most habits is a nice, full, long skirt. I wish the Cistercians had a longer skirt! Also, I am pretty sure I would want to stick to a combination of black and white. Or white and black.

Katherine
[/quote]

I like wimples, too. As you get older, they would cover all the telltale signs of aging. LOL (My reasons are SO pious.) But, I've heard the stiff wimples can be very uncomfortable, so I'd go for one of the soft ones.

White, with a black cappa would be okay. But, black makes me depressed--I couldn't wear it everyday. (Although I do understand the meaning of black, and find that very beautiful.)

My ideal habit would be blue and white, in some combination. Also, I know nothing about "The Pink Sisters," but their habits make me happy every time I see them. (And, I look very good in that shade of pink. LOL) It would be a pleasure to wear their habit.

You can tell I'm not destined for the religious life! Besides, I have made "vows" to my two rescue cats with chronic diseases who would be VERY hard to place in a home--they need a lot of attention to pill schedules, vet visits, etc. If I left them behind, to me it would be like leaving dependent children behind to an unknown fate. (Although I completely support women who join Orders after their children are grown and self-sufficient.) So, I'm sort of like an unconsecrated hermit, who is living a life of celibacy, poverty, and total obedience to my cats. I'm such a saint--not!! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/saint.gif[/img]

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

DevotedtoHim

[quote name='vee8' date='03 May 2010 - 09:54 AM' timestamp='1272894860' post='2104154']
Count me in on that one too.
[/quote]

Me too, it is the prettiest.

[quote name='GraceUk' date='01 May 2010 - 05:48 PM' timestamp='1272750539' post='2103286']
There's a photograph on the EWTN site of a sister with a pale pink veil which was nice. But not sure which order she is in.
[/quote]

Here's a link to the photo of the Sister with the pink veil that I couldn't find before. I knew I hadn't dreamt it! It was Catholic radio and not EWTN.

http://www.kvss.com/apps/photos/default.asp?folderid=387375#noref

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='GraceUk' date='13 May 2010 - 03:14 PM' timestamp='1273781693' post='2110092']
Here's a link to the photo of the Sister with the pink veil that I couldn't find before. I knew I hadn't dreamt it! It was Catholic radio and not EWTN.

[url="http://www.kvss.com/apps/photos/default.asp?folderid=387375#noref"]http://www.kvss.com/...id=387375#noref[/url]
[/quote]

Very interesting. I thought at first the habit was the "Pink Sisters" but it isn't.

It looks a lot like the habit of the Nashville Dominicans, except with a pink cape. And, in the other pictures, one sister was shown with a white veil and the other with a pink veil.

I'm not an expert on Orders, so someone else is going to have to figure this out.

Or, maybe just call Catholic radio and ask.

BTW--I like this habit a lot. I look good in that color. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/lol.gif[/img]

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

laetitia crucis

[quote name='GraceUk' date='13 May 2010 - 04:14 PM' timestamp='1273781693' post='2110092']

http://www.kvss.com/apps/photos/default.asp?folderid=387375#noref
[/quote]

:scratchhead:

You know... I feel like I have seen those Sisters somewhere before! But I just can't remember [i]where[/i]! :sadder:

Now I'm reeeeeally curious about who these Sisters are.

:detective:

Thomist-in-Training

Someone put something earlier on the scapular topic about all the right-angle creases that some have in their scapulars (like Nashville, those are the ones I've seen like that). It just wandered through my head, could that be so that they can keep them folded in dressers and then don't need to have cells with closets?

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='Thomist-in-Training' date='13 May 2010 - 04:28 PM' timestamp='1273786119' post='2110126']
Someone put something earlier on the scapular topic about all the right-angle creases that some have in their scapulars (like Nashville, those are the ones I've seen like that). It just wandered through my head, could that be so that they can keep them folded in dressers and then don't need to have cells with closets?
[/quote]

I never thought of cells having closets. I've always imagined them having hooks to hang the habit on each night.

The postulants at the Nashville Dominicans don't even have cells with walls. They live in a dormitory, with a dresser/desk next to their bed, and muslin curtains around it for privacy at night. (There's a picture on the Web site.) The Web site also said that the dormitories are used by Sisters visiting at Christmas. So, some Sisters/nuns don't even have cells with walls.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='Thomist-in-Training' date='13 May 2010 - 05:28 PM' timestamp='1273786119' post='2110126']
[/quote]

Oooooh! That makes sense! I guess I had never thought about it that way. I think it might make for faster ironing, too! :lol:

The Sisters of Life and Dominican Sisters of Mary Mother of the Eucharist also have the same creases -- which also makes sense, as both communities were formed by former Nashville Dominicans. :hehe: The Dominican Sisters of St. Joseph in England have the creases as well.

Hmmm... but then again, I wonder if the Hawthorne Dominicans also do the crease thing? :scratchhead:

OnlySunshine

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='13 May 2010 - 06:09 PM' timestamp='1273788594' post='2110136']
Oooooh! That makes sense! I guess I had never thought about it that way. I think it might make for faster ironing, too! :lol:

The Sisters of Life and Dominican Sisters of Mary Mother of the Eucharist also have the same creases -- which also makes sense, as both communities were formed by former Nashville Dominicans. :hehe: The Dominican Sisters of St. Joseph in England have the creases as well.

Hmmm... but then again, I wonder if the Hawthorne Dominicans also do the crease thing? :scratchhead:
[/quote]
Lol, now you have me wondering! I will have an interesting question for them when I go to visit. :hehe:

Re the pink scapular and veil, perhaps it was this woman?

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=5514764

(from the link) "In my area, we have a nun whom we affectionately call "The Pink Lady", who with permission has founded her own order. (As yet the order consists only of her and a novice.) She designed her own habit, with a pink veil and scapular, a belt, and the rest of the habit is white."

the funny thing is, the habit design issue actually is a stumbling block in my discernment wonderings. other than the factors of compatability with renunciations, distance, charism, asceticism, apostolate, friends in the order, etc... my vanity finds something disagreeable about some-thing in every habit i've seen - too short, too witchy, too high of a veil, where's the rosary go, why do the discalced wear close-toed shoes, yadda yadda. i can't decide which style that's already out there is the one i'd fit into and not get tired of wearing every day. so designing my own has crossed my mind, but i doubt it'd fly with the superiors. i don't have the energy to start a reform of the reform of the reform, hehe. i guess it's like picking a wedding dress. just find the one that's the most suitable for you.

Edited by Michele