An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sisters Of The Lamb

Tridenteen

[quote name='brightsadness' date='23 March 2010 - 07:29 PM' timestamp='1269390551' post='2078678']
I couldn't take the time off in Feb. to go on retreat after being stranded back east for a week during the Snow Events. However on April 17th I am flying to NY for an extended stay with the Basilian Nuns. YES!
[/quote]

JMJ
Wonderful, Anya! Hey, do you make the little easter painted easter eggs? I made some eastern Easter eggs the other day with thewax and dye, and thought "Hm, I wonder if Anya has ever seen these?" When we sent to Saint Vladmir's they were selling them.

brightsadness

[quote name='Tridenteen' date='24 March 2010 - 12:00 PM' timestamp='1269457235' post='2079154']
JMJ
Wonderful, Anya! Hey, do you make the little easter painted easter eggs? I made some eastern Easter eggs the other day with thewax and dye, and thought "Hm, I wonder if Anya has ever seen these?" When we sent to Saint Vladmir's they were selling them.
[/quote]

Da. Pysanky is a family tradition.:saint:

[quote name='Tridenteen' date='22 March 2010 - 09:31 PM' timestamp='1269311466' post='2078105']
JMJ
So, if everything works out, three other girls and myself are going for a retreat in April to the Sisters of the Lamb. The sisters are sooooo sweet! We are debating whether just to stay Saturday to Sunday, since it will be our first time there, or go Friday to Sunday. The Sisters are going to see what they want to do first, then they will get back with us. So, may I be so bold as to ask for prayers that everything works out? This will be a bit of a different discernment retreat, with a special prayer intention involved :-) By the way, has anyone been on a retreat with them before? It seems that among the Sisters there are, French, German, Spanish, and Italian nationalities. I know a few phrases in each language, so maybe they could each me more [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/lol_roll.gif[/img]
[/quote]

Tridenteen,

Please let me know how this goes. . . I'm interested in their community. . . they sound beautiful! I'm from the Midwest, so I'm not far from them.

Prayers for you!

Allie

[quote name='Tridenteen' date='27 March 2010 - 07:05 PM' timestamp='1269734717' post='2081650']
JMJ

Sstr Ali, I will let you know, don't worry! Would you rather I pm you then?

[/quote]

Tridenteen,

Yes, please PM me. . . that would be so great and I would appreciate it so much! Have you heard of Sisters in Jesus the Lord? They are in Kansas City, MO. . . they are a wonderful community.

If you want to PM. . . when are you going?

Peace,

Allie

• 3 weeks later...

JMJ
Cool. The girls and I are driving over to Kansas Friday, and are staying with the Sisters for awhile. I am very excited....

brightsadness

[quote name='Tridenteen' date='13 April 2010 - 02:42 PM' timestamp='1271194921' post='2092725']
JMJ
Cool. The girls and I are driving over to Kansas Friday, and are staying with the Sisters for awhile. I am very excited....
[/quote]

Have a wonderful time and please pray for me.

Anya

[quote name='Tridenteen' date='13 April 2010 - 05:42 PM' timestamp='1271194921' post='2092725']
JMJ
[/quote]

:) I'M in Kansas City. I'll certainly pray for you and your discernment. The Sisters of the Lamb are beautiful.

CIR!
PBJC!
JMJ

Hi phamily! I just got back from Mass, which is where I went to after leaving the convent, and am doing this on the phone. The sisters saw this thread by the way, and thought it was terribly funny. They are absolutley amazing! Most of their food comes from donations, and such. We had leftovers from a reception...[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif[/img] Since there was four of us, we shared a large room, with four beds and a desk. The beds were two crates that you could store clothes in with a mattress on top. There was a place to store our buckets and basins (if you want to know what that was for think In This House of Brede). The sisters made all of their furniture, and the chapel is very MC style. We stained furniture, mopped floors and did lots of dishes. The sisters Divine Office is completley different from what I expected. The read psalms, sing several hymns, and read shapters from the Bible, which they repeat several times so as to memorize them. There was Adoration in the evening, but we only stayed for part of it, as we had to get out basins ready, and find a pot for boiling water. The convent is open to all visitors, and they have several friends who stop by and visit on a regular basis. There is a tremendous family spirit. At refectory, the sisters all look out for each other, when they see a water glass empty, they fill it, when a sister looks low no food, they offer more. Oh, and we discovered the French use their bowls for milk and kavee, and the plates for cereal. I thought it was funny [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/lol_grin.gif[/img]

Well, any questions??? :-) :-) :-)

laetitia crucis

[quote name='Tridenteen' date='18 April 2010 - 05:27 PM' timestamp='1271622451' post='2095736']
CIR!
PBJC!
JMJ

Hi phamily! I just got back from Mass, which is where I went to after leaving the convent, and am doing this on the phone. The sisters saw this thread by the way, and thought it was terribly funny. They are absolutley amazing! Most of their food comes from donations, and such. We had leftovers from a reception...[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif[/img] Since there was four of us, we shared a large room, with four beds and a desk. The beds were two crates that you could store clothes in with a mattress on top. There was a place to store our buckets and basins (if you want to know what that was for think In This House of Brede). The sisters made all of their furniture, and the chapel is very MC style. We stained furniture, mopped floors and did lots of dishes. The sisters Divine Office is completley different from what I expected. The read psalms, sing several hymns, and read shapters from the Bible, which they repeat several times so as to memorize them. There was Adoration in the evening, but we only stayed for part of it, as we had to get out basins ready, and find a pot for boiling water. The convent is open to all visitors, and they have several friends who stop by and visit on a regular basis. There is a tremendous family spirit. At refectory, the sisters all look out for each other, when they see a water glass empty, they fill it, when a sister looks low no food, they offer more. Oh, and we discovered the French use their bowls for milk and kavee, and the plates for cereal. I thought it was funny [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/lol_grin.gif[/img]

Well, any questions??? :-) :-) :-)
[/quote]

I know this is probably super-random, but I could not help wondering: Since they use plates for cereal... do they eat their cereal dry? Or do they pour the milk onto the plates and consume the cereal [i]really[/i] carefully? :topsy: (This reminded me of littlesister's response to one of the threads about convent food earlier. :lol: )

laetitia crucis

P.S. -- I am glad you had such a good time and a safe trip! :D

Do you think you'll go back to visit them again? Possibly discern with them? :detective:

JMJ
The plates were deep, and they didn't pour a whole bunch of cereal in right away, so there were no problems. As to discerning, this was discernment for something completely different and off the whole, to which the sisters are well aware of. Oh, and the sisters are raising money to build their Little Monastery, if anyone wants to send a little donation, their address is available on the internet. I am back home safely, but I might go again later on in the summer. Airports...hm.