An Old School Catholic Message Board

Unbidden Images...need Help

Lil Red

+JMJ+
:lol: well, i don't think the devil is very happy. the other day, i was able to receive anointing of the sick, and within the anointing rite, confession. afterwards i was able to receive Jesus :love: but, since then, usually during the consecration, unbidden :sadder: nasty images come to my mind. i find it very hard to concentrate on what is happening in the Mass, usually i stare at the crucifix or the priest, asking Jesus for help. does anyone have any suggestions on how to banish these images? thank you.

Nihil Obstat

KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!

Actually I really understand your problem. I tend to get nasty thoughts pop into my head at strange moments. Sometimes during Mass, which is the worst of all. To be honest, I think it's a bit of minor spiritual warfare, or at least maybe I just have a really really mean subconscious.

Anyway, I have a personal method that..... well it doesn't fix it, but it keeps me going in the right direction I think.
I have long (very strong) fingernails on my right hand for guitar playing. When I get a thought in my head like what I mentioned, I dig my thumbnail really hard into my pointer finger, and I consciously oppose whatever it was that came into my head. I do that hard enough that it hurts, but it's more about shocking the system to refocus, and especially about consciously doing *something* to oppose yourself to the offending thoughts.

For me, it doesn't stop them from happening, and it really doesn't make them go away, but I think it puts it into perspective and hopefully makes me stronger because of it. :)

Saint Therese

First of all, its important not to let these images interfere with prayer. Don't let them upset you. You aren't the source of these thoughts, and are doing nothing to be culpable for.

Ask God, if its His will, to get rid of these images.

Edited by Saint Therese

Archaeology cat

Nihil, I've done that to get my mind off something before.

ST has a good suggestion, I think. And maybe the St Michael prayer?

Marie-Therese

I hear you, Red. Since I am musically inclined, I usually have the same problem while I am praying the Rosary, I will have these nasty song lyrics running through my head, or some terrible thoughts that are totally random and definitely unwanted. That is Ole Scratch up to his no good tricks.

What works for me is that I, in my head, acknowledge that I know the devil is responsible for this, tell him to get behind me, and then say a Hail Mary. Usually during the words of the Hail Mary I feel almost a wall come up and when the thoughts try to come back they only reach the periphery of my awareness and then bounce right off. Works like a charm.

Now, I don't know if that will work for you, but in my experience if you tell the Devil where to stick it and then let the Holy Mother kick him out, he gets the point. :lol: Those kinds of attacks work better when we don't acknowledge where they come from. That way you aren't directly confronting the demonic influence, but you let him know you know what he is up to, and let your Mother handle it.

[quote name='Archaeology cat' date='25 March 2010 - 12:46 PM' timestamp='1269546413' post='2079888']
Nihil, I've done that to get my mind off something before.

ST has a good suggestion, I think. And maybe the St Michael prayer?
[/quote]
+JMJ+
yeah, i pray "St. Michael" over and over, but it's really hard to focus on that. like these images are strong.

+JMJ+
[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='25 March 2010 - 12:42 PM' timestamp='1269546163' post='2079884']KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!

Actually I really understand your problem. I tend to get nasty thoughts pop into my head at strange moments. Sometimes during Mass, which is the worst of all. To be honest, I think it's a bit of minor spiritual warfare, or at least maybe I just have a really really mean subconscious.

Anyway, I have a personal method that..... well it doesn't fix it, but it keeps me going in the right direction I think.
I have long (very strong) fingernails on my right hand for guitar playing. When I get a thought in my head like what I mentioned, I dig my thumbnail really hard into my pointer finger, and I consciously oppose whatever it was that came into my head. I do that hard enough that it hurts, but it's more about shocking the system to refocus, and especially about consciously doing *something* to oppose yourself to the offending thoughts.

For me, it doesn't stop them from happening, and it really doesn't make them go away, but I think it puts it into perspective and hopefully makes me stronger because of it. :)[/quote]
that is an interesting idea :) thanks.

[quote name='Saint Therese' date='25 March 2010 - 12:43 PM' timestamp='1269546226' post='2079885']First of all, its important not to let these images interfere with prayer. Don't let them upset you. You aren't the source of these thoughts, and are doing nothing to be culpable for.

Ask God, if its His will, to get rid of these images.[/quote]
thank you.

[quote name='Marie-Therese' date='25 March 2010 - 12:49 PM' timestamp='1269546564' post='2079894']
I hear you, Red. Since I am musically inclined, I usually have the same problem while I am praying the Rosary, I will have these nasty song lyrics running through my head, or some terrible thoughts that are totally random and definitely unwanted. That is Ole Scratch up to his no good tricks.

What works for me is that I, in my head, acknowledge that I know the devil is responsible for this, tell him to get behind me, and then say a Hail Mary. Usually during the words of the Hail Mary I feel almost a wall come up and when the thoughts try to come back they only reach the periphery of my awareness and then bounce right off. Works like a charm.

Now, I don't know if that will work for you, but in my experience if you tell the Devil where to stick it and then let the Holy Mother kick him out, he gets the point. :lol: Those kinds of attacks work better when we don't acknowledge where they come from. That way you aren't directly confronting the demonic influence, but you let him know you know what he is up to, and let your Mother handle it.[/quote]
yeah, i've done that too, where i'm like "get outta here, Satan!! :maddest: "

Archaeology cat

I'll say a prayer for you, Red. :) With me, it's sometimes random (not good) thoughts that arise, so I can kinda relate.

That happens to my husband. He says it helps when he holds my hand, or can focus on something in the church.

Ask Jesus, if it is his will that you struggle and suffer through them, to please use it to give grace to a soul mired in sin.

geetarplayer

[quote name='zunshynn' date='25 March 2010 - 06:26 PM' timestamp='1269552396' post='2080020']
Ask Jesus, if it is his will that you struggle and suffer through them, to please use it to give grace to a soul mired in sin.
[/quote]
I really like this. It reminds me of the story of St. Jerome who had a vision of Jesus asking him for something. St. Jerome offered his writings, his studies, and all his treasured possessions. But it was not enough, said Jesus. So St. Jerome offered Jesus his very life. Even that was not enough for Jesus. What Jesus truly wanted from St. Jerome was his sins.

Jesus wants my every desire, even the sinful ones. He wants to transform me and make me new (Rev 21:5). Through the intercession of the Blessed Virgin Mary, whose very body was transformed into a tabernacle for the Lord, may I give over my imperfections so they may be tested in the purifying fire of the sacred heart of Jesus.

Edited by geetarplayer

Your constant battle with those images may be part of what will make you a saint in the end. Don't let the devil bring you down with them because they are not something that you want or instigate. Just calmly move your mind to something else. And remember that your battle with them can make you a saint.

God Conquers

Two schools of thought:

Salesian: Ignore. DO what you say you've been doing. Pretend its not happening, focus on something else. Or say "ok that's a thought (image)" then drop it.

Ignatian: Agere Contra! Fight Against!

1- Call upon the Lord, for He is my help.

2- Rebuke the untruth: know what is wrong about the image and that it is not the truth. Say it to yourself and to God - and the devil who is attacking.

3- Recall the Truth: find a scripture, church teaching, saying, experience from memory that contradicts the lie you are being shown or told. Again just say it out loud or internally to yourself.

Usually takes care of stuff.

God Bless you! St. Michael pray for us!

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='God Conquers' date='26 March 2010 - 12:11 AM' timestamp='1269580294' post='2080377']
Two schools of thought:

Salesian: Ignore. DO what you say you've been doing. Pretend its not happening, focus on something else. Or say "ok that's a thought (image)" then drop it.

Ignatian: Agere Contra! Fight Against!

1- Call upon the Lord, for He is my help.

2- Rebuke the untruth: know what is wrong about the image and that it is not the truth. Say it to yourself and to God - and the devil who is attacking.

3- Recall the Truth: find a scripture, church teaching, saying, experience from memory that contradicts the lie you are being shown or told. Again just say it out loud or internally to yourself.

Usually takes care of stuff.

God Bless you! St. Michael pray for us!
[/quote]
I find it somewhat eerie how similar the Ignatian 'method' is to what I sorta came up with through trial and error.