An Old School Catholic Message Board

Encouraging Vocations In Altar Servers

geetarplayer

geetarplayer

I am going to have a conversation with my priest friend talking about ways we can foster holy vocations in our young altar servers. One simple way I can think of is by teaching them discipline and attention to detail - how they dress, how they sit, how they hold a candle, etc. I know this does not explicitly encourage vocations but it does prepare young people for a life of obedience, either to their religious order or to the diocese they serve.

Can you think of other things we can do for our altar servers? Do you have any wild ideas, or have seen any programs that have worked well?

We were just talking about this last night. Don't overlook the power of uniform envy. Make sure they get to wear nice vestments. The other part is just for the priest to get to spend time with the priests. In the day of lawsuits from just riding an elevator alone with a child, that might be harder to pull off.

Nihil Obstat

I served for many years, and we only met the priest a couple times. Obviously we'd see him every Sunday, so it wasn't like we didn't know him, but it would have been nice if we'd had meetings and activities that our priest attended.
It's very hard for a young person to get to actually know a priest. I still don't have any particular kind of relationship with any. I suppose with the sexual abuse scandals, priests are pretty wary about how they conduct themselves around children, maybe to the point of excess, but I do know that I'd welcome having closer ties with any priest.

LouisvilleFan

How about teaching on how serving at the altar is serving God, most importantly, through serving the priest and laypeople. Being in close proximity to the altar also gives servers the opportunity to gain an appreciation for certain symbolic elements of the Mass, if they know what to look for. One example: the priest speaking the words of consecration over the cup of wine calling to mind the Spirit of God hovering over the waters before Creation.

I think the priest`s attitude and reverence at Mass towards the Blessed Sacrament is key. He has to believe that IT IS Christ and that the Mass is the most important part of his day. How one sits or what one wears is important yes but knowing why (because that is the body, blood, soul, and divinity of Jesus Christ) is the most important thing.

TeresaBenedicta

First, [and I know this is slightly controversial] I would restrict the altar serving to boys. This is especially important in terms of encouraging vocations...

*Training. The boys need good training. Our parish would do "altar boy boot camp" each summer and it was a week of intensive training. They learned their respective duties, they learned the parts of the Mass, they learned the history of the Mass, everything. The senior altar servers got to help teach. Father spent the week with the boys, giving talks, recreation time (mostly spent playing football), etc. And there was prayer.

*System of rank. Provide some sort of system of rank that the boys have to go through. This inspires them to take their duties seriously and they look up to the older, more experienced servers.

*Special Events. Father would take the boys out fishing or hiking or to pizza every once in a while. They had a grand old time and they would feel like they were doing something "special." They got special time with Father and it felt something like a club that they could be proud to be a part of.

Of course, there should be something for the girls, too. I think that getting high school girls involved with sacristy work is a good thing. Decorating the church. And Father needs to give attention to them as well. Obviously what would be great would be to have some sisters who work with the parish that could give the girls the special attention as well.

JMJ
My own thoughts are altar serving is good for boys, like Mother Angelica said "What if some poor girl is serving and thinks, hey this is cool, I want to be a priest when I grow up...?" Maybe your priest could try an altar server picnic, or bowling with seminarians. All you need then is to make sure you have at least two adult chaperones. Do your altar servers wear cassocks and surplices, or the white robe thing (I'm not being rude, I just don't know what it is called)? The boys in my community like the cassocks evidently, brcause "it's what Fr. wears", so that might be something to check out. TheresaBenedicta, you are right about the girls. Fr is treating the girls' choir to bowling and pizza, in appreciation for all they do, when singing, and when not.

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='27 March 2010 - 12:23 AM' timestamp='1269663827' post='2081129']
First, [and I know this is slightly controversial] I would restrict the altar serving to boys. This is especially important in terms of encouraging vocations...

[/quote]

Absolutely 100% necessary. I know a congregation in which this was done, and worked. Each one of the altar boys, at one point, seriously considered a priestly vocation.

If girls want to be included, start an "altar guild" or something, where they can work on arranging flowers for the altar, or mending altar cloths, or other tasks more appropriate for women. It encourages them to be close to church, but highlights their (BEAUTIFUL and NECESSARY!!!) role as women.

[quote name='Tridenteen' date='27 March 2010 - 10:41 AM' timestamp='1269700877' post='2081283']
Do your altar servers wear cassocks and surplices

[/quote]

I must admit, this is also necessary, in my opinion. It might cost a bit if you don't already have them, but it's WELL WORTH the cost, believe me.

And women shouldn't be wearing cassocks and surplices anyway -- many of them are turned away at the prospect of wearing them. Then you can direct them to the Altar Guild! :))

[quote name='CherieMadame' date='27 March 2010 - 09:58 AM' timestamp='1269701899' post='2081295']
I must admit, this is also necessary, in my opinion. It might cost a bit if you don't already have them, but it's WELL WORTH the cost, believe me.

And women shouldn't be wearing cassocks and surplices anyway -- many of them are turned away at the prospect of wearing them. Then you can direct them to the Altar Guild! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/D.gif[/img]
[/quote]

JMJ
Cassocks last a long time, too. Well, if you treat them right [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/lol_roll.gif[/img] And they work better on tall people (ie my 6'4 brother, who for years now has been confused by people who think he is a seminarian...they have thought since he was 12...and now he wants to be one :-))