An Old School Catholic Message Board

Need First Communion Retreat Ideas

Brother Adam

Brother Adam

I am looking for ideas for a 20 minute small group session with 2nd graders for their First Communion Retreat. I want to replace the video this year that they used to watch on First Communion. The other stations they go to are: Reconciliation, Make a banner (using Eucharistic symbols to go on the pews during their First Communion Mass), Bake unleavened bread and listen to the story of Moses (it is not used at Mass, they take it home), Sedar Meal. I need one more station. Any ideas?

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='12 April 2010 - 11:10 AM' timestamp='1271088655' post='2091525']
I am looking for ideas for a 20 minute small group session with 2nd graders for their First Communion Retreat. I want to replace the video this year that they used to watch on First Communion. The other stations they go to are: Reconciliation, Make a banner (using Eucharistic symbols to go on the pews during their First Communion Mass), Bake unleavened bread and listen to the story of Moses (it is not used at Mass, they take it home), Sedar Meal. I need one more station. Any ideas?
[/quote]
I remember making rosaries in one of my First Communion prep classes. Would take more than twenty minutes though, I guess.

Thy Geekdom Come

Jennie had her kids talk about what they would do when a guest comes over and then related all those things to behavior, prayer, etc., at Mass. Then I think they drew pictures of themselves welcoming Jesus.

homeschoolmom

Make wine? Twenty minutes of grape-stomping would be... memberable. :saint:

It's nice that you give them time to work on the banners there. We had it as a "do at home" project and... bleh... not fun.

The only thing that we had that you have not mentioned: We had one of the priests tell the kids about all the items he uses for mass-- chasubles, stoles, vessels, etc. It was really good. Our priest had a really dry sense of humor and told us that the word chasuble was derived from "casula" which meant "little house." He said that he thought of his chasuble as his "Little House of Prayer-y" And yes, now he's a bishop. :rolleyes:

some time for adoration! :bounce: Especially if you have someone to lead it and kind of guide the kids.

I like Micah's idea too.

Brother Adam

Bump. Keep them coming.

The kids review everything used at Mass and tour the church as part of the curriculum. We do the rosary and adoration in the afternoon.

The guest idea isn't bad.

homeschoolmom

Do you do a "practice run" so that they know what to expect (especially with regard to the taste of wine)? I'm guessing you do... just trying to remember what we did for my kids' first communions...

Brother Adam

Rehearsal is in the afternoon so we go over everything then. Giving unconsecrated wine falls under laws about giving alcohol to minors in our state. We were also taught at FUS that it is inappropriate to allow them to practice with unconsecrated hosts for a few reasons. Some catechists stick to that and some don't.

I have decided on a 'magic trick' station. I own the "Catechists Magic Kit" and there are tons of great tricks in there that go along with the Sacraments.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='13 April 2010 - 12:12 PM' timestamp='1271175149' post='2092476']
Rehearsal is in the afternoon so we go over everything then. Giving unconsecrated wine falls under laws about giving alcohol to minors in our state. We were also taught at FUS that it is inappropriate to allow them to practice with unconsecrated hosts for a few reasons. Some catechists stick to that and some don't.

I have decided on a 'magic trick' station. I own the "Catechists Magic Kit" and there are tons of great tricks in there that go along with the Sacraments.
[/quote]
Interesting... <makes note to self>

Necco wafers can work in place of Hosts. Catawba in place of wine. Even if you don't do a run-through with wine, you may want to give the kids a little heads up on the taste (nothing like backwash or gagging...) I told my kids to press their lips on the challace then let a little pour onto their top lips where they could just lick the droplet off.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='13 April 2010 - 12:38 PM' timestamp='1271176696' post='2092490']
Interesting... <makes note to self>

Necco wafers can work in place of Hosts.
[/quote]
Yes, it should be something that vaguely resembles a host...as in, no Cheez-its.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Raphael' date='13 April 2010 - 12:41 PM' timestamp='1271176883' post='2092493']
Yes, it should be something that vaguely resembles a host...as in, no Cheez-its.
[/quote]
:unsure: :blink:

"Oh, we're having Cheez-its? I thought you said we were going to get Jesus."

Adoration sounds like a good idea to me. Put 'em at the feet of Jesus! ^_^
What's better than letting Christ Himself instruct His little ones?

tinytherese

You could also have someone read The Weight of a Mass or Child Guide's to First Holy Communion by Elizabeth Ficocelli. You could also have people share their own experiences of what their first communion was like.

Brother Adam

We do read the Weight of the Mass to them actually.

This is our outline:

1. Opening Liturgy and Talk by Father
2. Stations
- Reconciliation
- Bake unleavened Bread
- Make a banner
- Sedar Meal
- Magic Tricks (Moral Conscience / Eucharist) / Weight of the Mass
3. Lunch
4. Rehearsal
5. Adoration and the Rosary

homeschoolmom

That sounds like a long day. Don't be surprised if they start getting a little squirrelly during adoration-- especially if they are not used to praying and/or being quiet for long. I remember there were lots of kids at my son's first communion who really had no clue what to do during mass-- it was obvious that they were only there for the Sacrament and probably wouldn't be there again until confirmation. :sadder:

[url="http://rosaryreflections.com/"]This[/url] might be a merciful solution for children who really have trouble being focused and still.