An Old School Catholic Message Board

Need First Communion Retreat Ideas

Brother Adam

Nihil Obstat

Do you have the opportunity to expose them to a bit of sacred music, like chant and polyphony? It just occurred to me that never during my sacrament preparation or anytime during my life so far in my parish have I ever heard "traditional" sacred music, and this is a sad thing. Only times I've heard it are when it's used for soundtracks in movies, when I actively go looking for it myself, or when I go to the EF.

Brother Adam

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='13 April 2010 - 02:14 PM' timestamp='1271178849' post='2092529']
That sounds like a long day. Don't be surprised if they start getting a little squirrelly during adoration-- especially if they are not used to praying and/or being quiet for long. I remember there were lots of kids at my son's first communion who really had no clue what to do during mass-- it was obvious that they were only there for the Sacrament and probably wouldn't be there again until confirmation. :sadder:

[url="http://rosaryreflections.com/"]This[/url] might be a merciful solution for children who really have trouble being focused and still.
[/quote]

It is a long day, but there are 2 recesses in there as well. It goes very fast for them.

We have been running this program since I have been here, I have made a lot of 'modifications' that has cut out most of the fluff. Adoration lasts 20 minutes and they help lead the rosary so its difficult to get too squirrelly, but some of them are highly "ADD" (though I suspect some just aren't getting the attention they need), so I appreciate the recommendation.

We do have kids who drop in for 2nd grade and drop again until 9th grade, but it isn't as usual anymore as it used to be since we started using a traditional curriculum. More parents put their kids in longer who might otherwise not do so because their kids will be really lost if they miss too many years. No children are allowed to simply show up for the retreat and Mass. They have to have at least 1 year of prep.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='13 April 2010 - 11:22 AM' timestamp='1271179377' post='2092535']
Do you have the opportunity to expose them to a bit of sacred music, like chant and polyphony? It just occurred to me that never during my sacrament preparation or anytime during my life so far in my parish have I ever heard "traditional" sacred music, and this is a sad thing. Only times I've heard it are when it's used for soundtracks in movies, when I actively go looking for it myself, or when I go to the EF.
[/quote]

:yes:

:bounce: