An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ten Things For An Aspirant Not To Say

IgnatiusofLoyola

I might get bored of this place after taking vows. I can just request to move to a better location, right?
Can you send me to a warm overseas house in the winter? 
How often do you have take out?
Can I eat my food in my cell tonight as I don't like the common book being read in the refectory?
Are you actually expecting me to do manual work each day? Don't you hire people to do these jobs.
I knew you got up early, but I'm sure God doesn't mind me adjusting with the odd lay in

Mary+Immaculate<3

Do I have to give up swimming? Can I bring a swimsuit for a sunny, relaxing day at the beach?

Are there spa days here?

Do I get time off when it's "that time of the month"?

This is actually a serious one, if someone could answer it I would greatly appreciate it. I'm sure it probably varies, but I'd like to know: Can I bring my Irish dancing shoes when I enter? (I actually saw a video where some SSVMs were Irish dancing, but I don't think every community would have the same policies, since these were apostolic SSVMs).

I am called to your community and will plan on entering your community but I will not, repeat, WILL NOT wear that habit. It will not look good on me.

OnlySunshine

Your habits look so matronly.  Can I wear my spandex pants instead?

I don't like the austere cell.  Can I bring some pictures from home and paint it a different color? (I wouldn't be surprised if someone actually asked this)

Can I still get my spray-on tan?

AccountDeleted

Do I have to give up swimming? Can I bring a swimsuit for a sunny, relaxing day at the beach?

Are there spa days here?

Do I get time off when it's "that time of the month"?

This is actually a serious one, if someone could answer it I would greatly appreciate it. I'm sure it probably varies, but I'd like to know: Can I bring my Irish dancing shoes when I enter? (I actually saw a video where some SSVMs were Irish dancing, but I don't think every community would have the same policies, since these were apostolic SSVMs).

On the serious side, I know that in Carmel, we were given three days per month when we were allowed to sleep in because of 'monthlies'. 

Some convents do have exercise rooms. My own has a treadmill and an exercise bike in the room. 

We get a hermit day once a week (some places only once a month) so I can use the treadmill then or during other private times - but we don't call them 'spa days'. 

I have never been swimming in a convent but I think some do. 

As for dancing shoes - wow - you got me there - maybe someone else can answer that one!

veritasluxmea

I don't really want to be a religous- I'm just discerning so I have a reason to break up with my boyfriend. 

Like everything, it depends on the community... Apostolic ones would probably encourage it. 

Will you keep paying my gym membership after I enter?
I'm having trouble getting a wifi connection, what gives?
Will my cell have a PC and internet connection?
Where's the dinner menu?

Tell me you all use skin lotions in here because I think not doing so is personal neglect
I know it's a monastery but how have you ate this food for the last 50 years?!
My parents may want to pop in at least weekly for a coffee. That's OK, right?
Can I bring my pets with me when I enter?

Where's the dinner menu?
Tell me you all use skin lotions in here because I think not doing so is personal neglect

Again, I have heard literally all of these. Maybe Orthodox women are worse sinners and that's why we need such an awe.some monastic life.

AccountDeleted

Where's the dinner menu?

My community has a fair few of these. 

We have an exercise room.

We have wi-fi.

I have a cell phone and Internet connection (I live in a  live house distant from the main house so the cell phone let's us communicate without having to run back and forth plus if we do have to go outside the monastery - it is for security)

We do have a choice of food as we select cafeteria style.

We have a cupboard full of things like toiletry products, soaps, lotions etc. and can take what we need.

They are great cooks.

Visitors are welcome, especially family. My family all live interstate or overseas, so they won't be popping in anytime soon, but we do have a guest house for them if they do come.

Well, they used to have pets but when the last one died, they chose not to get any more because they are a lot of work and responsibility. And I have found personally that some nuns get so attached to pets that they almost become obsessive about them so I'm glad we don't have any.

OnlySunshine

Can I still wear my Ralph Lauren perfume?

What do you mean I can't bring my whole library of DVDs?!?!

I will settle for nothing less than a bacon and egg sandwich every morning!

Can I bring a mini fridge for my cell to chill my beer?