An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ten Things For An Aspirant Not To Say

IgnatiusofLoyola

Clare~Therese

Do I have to obey the Novice Mistress when I'm in formation?

(For a vegetarian community): Potatoes are, like, an entire food group here. What if I don't like potatoes? Can I have something else instead?

Are you sure that's the way we should fold towels around here? I think I have a better idea.

Are you sure that's the way we should fold towels around here? I think I have a better idea.

Oh, Lord have mercy!

Blessed&Grateful

Do I have to obey the Novice Mistress when I'm in formation?

(For a vegetarian community): Potatoes are, like, an entire food group here. What if I don't like potatoes? Can I have something else instead?

I did say something smilar when I was discerning but it had to do with putting some plants into an area the Abbess decided she wanted them (fragile plant vs Late July ground (hard as a rock) in full sunlight (the plants were shade ones.) The vocation director reminded me "obedience = if the Abbess wants them here we don't question we do as she instructs."

I think I managed to get an inch of ground broken.....poor things never had a chance.

Basilisa Marie

So when do we have steak on the grill? I like mine medium rare. :)

I don't know whether there's an intentional pun in here, but I certainly read it that way and LOL'd hard. You know... Like grille.  :hehe2:

"I don't really need to study theology, I already know it all, so can I test out of all the formation classes?"

Basilisa Marie

I did say something smilar when I was discerning but it had to do with putting some plants into an area the Abbess decided she wanted them (fragile plant vs Late July ground (hard as a rock) in full sunlight (the plants were shade ones.) The vocation director reminded me "obedience = if the Abbess wants them here we don't question we do as she instructs."

I think I managed to get an inch of ground broken.....poor things never had a chance.

Reminds me of some of the Desert Father stories where the Abbots would give all kinds of weird or counter-intuitive orders to the novices to teach them obedience. :)  

OnlySunshine

I've watched and studied "A Nun's Story" and "Sound of Music" a hundred times so I don't need formation classes.

I need my security blanket with me at all times.

If I don't want to attend Mass in the mornings, can I have an extra hour of sleep?

OnlySunshine

No one is going to tell me what to do and that includes you!

I'm not sleeping on the floor!  Are you crazy?!?

This food is horrible!  Where is the spice cabinet?

I've never been so uncomfortable in all my life!

When is karaoke night?

Do you have Happy Hour?

You're making the beds wrong.

Oh, Mother Superior, let me fix your habit, please.  It looks wrong.

You're sweeping the floors wrong.  It's not very efficient.

You're not putting enough salt in the potatoes. 

These carrots are a smidgeon overcooked.

You're doing the laundry wrong.  Here, let me show you.

The sacristy is set up all wrong.

Why are you buttoning the cassock from middle to top and then going back to the middle and down again?  It wastes time.

The chanting is all wrong.  I have perfect pitch and I notice they change the key all the time. 

When you guys make moderate bows, it needs to be a little lower.

You're lighting the candles in the wrong order.  It's inefficient.

Couldn't you work a little more on your ecclesiastical Latin pronunciation?  It sounds too American.

You're not using the right wrist action when you ring the bells.

I think Father Abbott's sermon - on the importance of overlooking the little annoyances and faults of others - was pretty good.  But it was too short.  How much time is he really putting into his sermons?

I accept your apology, but I'm not going to talk to you again for a few more hours.  I've got to give myself time to really feel like I've forgiven you.

The way you put the food on the table makes it look all sloppy and cluttered.  I have a better idea.

I've been an aspirant in a LOT of communities, so I know how the Novice Master job works pretty well.  I could give you some pointers.

The time for aspirancy is definitely too long.  I absolutely know I'm called to your order.  Why waste time like this?

Wait, are you saying you don't think that I'm going to be happy in your order?  How could you possibly know that?  If you keep saying that I might actually leave.

You'll be sorry.

I'm going to anonymously blog about your order.  I'm going to name names.  And then you'll be sorry.  You lot are the most rigid, stuck-up, uncaring group of religious I have ever met.  You lot just don't listen.

Edited by chrysostom

OnlySunshine

I know you say "lights out" at 10pm but I don't go to bed until 1am so can I keep my light on?

I'm not waking up at 3am to go to nighttime Adoration.

If we all learnt sign langauge we could converse freely during the great silence. Hadn't you thought of that already?

I'm going to break out into liturgical dance during the mass. Would you mind not clapping my efforts afterwards?

I've an idea about replacing some bible readings with a bit of Rainer Maria Rilke. Shall we meet later to talk about it?

When do I get to interview the community? I need to make sure you're all good enough for me..

Edited by Benedictus

OnlySunshine

Water?!?  That's all you have to drink?!?  I need to bring a flatbed truck full of Coke!!!

When's movie night?