An Old School Catholic Message Board

Scared & Wierded Out

M.SIGGA

I'm totally open to finding my vocation whether it be in the religious life or laity, but I'm really really scared of finding out. I'm praying to know and for God to give me a sign and I don't know what I'm doing Lol. I've been looking for signs, but all I feel now is confused.

Time is ticking away and if it's meant to be I really would like to "jump on the bandwagon" and work towards my vocation. Right now I'm a junior in college and I'm sort of unsure with what I'm supposed to be doing and whether or not I should break up and quit dating, etc.

I also feel really dishonest with my new gf because I know she is potentially looking for a husband. Plus I actually prayed for God to help me find a good woman who wouldn't wrong me like previous ones, and He really answered me to my surprise Lol, and I think she is someone really beautiful and special. I really want a wife and a family too, but I'm trying my best right now to do what God wants instead, and it's really hard and confusing.

I also feel sort of guilty because I chose a vocation after high school instead of discerning where God wants me to end up - this is why I'm in the situation that I'm in right now.

I really don't think I'm meant to be a priest, but how do I know for sure, like is it me who is deciding this or is it God's will? I'm so weirded out. HELP and suggestions please!

Wow I just checked out the video testimonies on that vocation.com site Vera posted and it was really awesome.

[quote]I'm totally open to finding my vocation whether it be in the religious life or laity, but I'm really really scared of finding out. [/quote]

You sound like me. Here's what I suggest:

1. Make a list, either written or just think about it, of the things that scare you about a potential vocation to the religious life. Be honest with yourself.
2. Look at whether these things are selfish or not.
3. With the selfish ones, confess your selfishness to God and pray for the graces to conquer them.
4. Let Him work in your life. Listen. Pray.

Thanks Willguy for the advice, but I've actually done all this sort of already and I've been praying and praying and praying and waiting for a sign and I haven't seen anything yet and I'm worried I might have missed it maybe or I'm not reading the signs correctly if they are comming.

I've even gone on 3 retreats this year for silence to really think about it, and the only thing that happened in that sequence is that I've met a really great girl who I want to be with, but I still feel like I'm called to do something so much more that being a traditional family 9-5 guy. I'm only 20 and I'm getting more and more anxious everyday waiting for a sign, the clouds to open up, etc...!

Once a priest told me as a kid in confession that I would be a good priest, but I found out he told the same thing to everyone else. And I don't really have family drama either; my dad might be a little upset initially if I became a religious/priest, but his attention span is so short he would probably be fine with it by the end of the day.

This is a pretty big question that I'm not sure anyone can answer, but how do I know for sure what to do? :unsure:

Maybe you are called to the single life, or to a married life but working in the Church (youth minister, working with your diocese, etc). Obviously I can't tell you. As for how you know for sure, I can't really answer that either. I don't know for sure at the moment. Most seminarians, postulants, and engaged people don't know for sure. Follow your heart.

Thanks anyway, I'll just keep praying and watching Lol. Kudos to the Legionaries of Christ for that vocation video & testimonies because they make the priesthood and specifically their Order look awesome!

Theologian in Training

M. Sigga,

Both St. Josemaria Escriva and St. Francis De Sales agree, be content with the life you have now, because that is where God has brought you thus far. Granted, you want answers but remember, as trite as it sounds, God works in His own time, and sometimes (most of the time) that time never coalesces with our time. In other words, pray, discern, but [b]give it to God[/b]. When I say give to God, I don't mean give it to Him, let Him have it for a bit, take it back, examine it, make sure all is well, and give it back to Him. No, give it to God, leave it in His hands, and, in time, you will know what it is God is calling you to.

When I discerned, I had problems of my own, suffice it say, I became more than a little despondent and did not know what to do. Finally, I knelt before the Blessed Sacrament and said, "Here, take it! I don't know what you want, I have no idea what you are doing, but take it, I do not want it anymore." Sure enough, the next day I got a call from the vocations office telling me I had been accepted to the seminary.

Sometimes God waits for us to let Him do what He has to, before He feels we are ready to follow what it is God intends for us. Do no get anxious and impatient, merely wait, you have for 20 years, you may need to wait another 20, it is all in God's time. Just don't forget, this is where God has brought you, be content with that, don't go searching and chasing fantasies, allow God to reveal to you the reality. It is good to weigh all options, but now give it time, it is in God's hands, and believe me when He chooses to reveal to you what it is He wants of you, you will not miss it. It may not be the sign you are looking for, but whatever it is, you will definitely know it is from Him, and He has your best interest at heart.

You are in my prayers

God Bless Alelluia!!!

Homestarlover85

you are in my prayers..

i feel scared to..except i think i stopped discerning actively. Why, Im not sure...but this post has got me motivated again. There is a gift waiting for me. It just has to be found and unwrapped..

Theo....AMEN!!!! just give it to Jesus, and he will write a beutiful letter to the World if we just let him (that was mother theresa) with, God is calling us now to be holy, we need to relish the now, and look for how he is calling us to serve him now...not just if/when I am in seminary or if/when i take vows or become ordained...i would say continue living a sacramental and as holy a lfe as u can in the present....there is NO rule that u must enter after college...and also don't be so quick to dump ur gf....i know the thing that finally convinced me to enter the friars was when i daetd a girl seriousally during my senior year,,,she is my best friend we prayed together, went to daily mass etc, and as much as I cared/loved her, I knew God was calling me to something different and he confimred it for her as well

know of my prayers, during this EXCITING time, if u wanna chat more feel free to personal message me or send me an email or AIM!

in Christ and Mary,
fr. Matt, ofm conv

Thanks FriarM, Will, Theo, Homestar - for all the responses and i'm really praying for the strength to give it [u]all[/u] away to see what God wants of me and for the record I'm not dropping my gf! I just feel like I'm gonna pop thinking about it because I really feel like I'm in the wrong place or something like that right now, and it's something I can only sort out on my own I guess, so please keep praying for me!

Thanks again and I'm gonna be hanging around this forum for more feedback and stuff. Ya'll are great.

Theologian in Training

[quote name='M.SIGGA' date='Apr 15 2004, 01:12 AM'] Thanks FriarM, Will, Theo, Homestar - for all the responses and i'm really praying for the strength to give it [u]all[/u] away to see what God wants of me and for the record I'm not dropping my gf! I just feel like I'm gonna pop thinking about it because I really feel like I'm in the wrong place or something like that right now, and it's something I can only sort out on my own I guess, so please keep praying for me!

Thanks again and I'm gonna be hanging around this forum for more feedback and stuff. Ya'll are great. [/quote]
Whether or not you feel as though you are in the wrong place, you are not, because God has put you there for a reason. Remember that, things do not happen arbitrarily with God, in all things there is a purpose. Otherwise, we are merely chasing fantasies and our own whims, rather than genuinely seeking the Will of God.

Remember, always and everywhere let God's Will be yours.

God Bless Alelluia!!!