An Old School Catholic Message Board

*mature Question Involving Sexual Ethics*

tinytherese

tinytherese

I'm embarassed to bring this up and this just might be the biggest awkward turtle moment of my life, so please try to keep in mind that I'm not trying to stir up trouble or be perverse. Please have mercy on me. :bow: :surrender:

Okay, so this is something that I've heard people talk about yet I'm confused about how Church teaching fits into this. It involves what I've heard people say in regards to masturbation. Really the center of this is understanding the true meaning of masturbation. (I never even heard of the topic until I was in high school and was told very little about it and quite frankly didn't want to know much about it, so this may sound like a ridiculous question. :blink:)

I've heard of people claiming that they masturbate in that they "excite" their bodies, but do not think of sexual thoughts or become sexually aroused. Their minds are elsewhere from thinking of anything sensuous and claim that they are simply enjoying the feeling that they get. Is this just some kinky self-abuse or what? If it is, how can it be explained the individual that this is immoral because they again are not thinking sexual thoughts or becoming sexually aroused. Isn't this world just messed up with the ideas that it has?

Okay and now I await to have tomatoes thrown at me while I run and try to escape by hiding underneath my covers. :tomato:

CatherineM

[quote name='tinytherese' date='06 May 2010 - 02:32 AM' timestamp='1273131178' post='2105770']
I'm embarassed to bring this up and this just might be the biggest awkward turtle moment of my life, so please try to keep in mind that I'm not trying to stir up trouble or be perverse. Please have mercy on me. :bow: :surrender:

Okay, so this is something that I've heard people talk about yet I'm confused about how Church teaching fits into this. It involves what I've heard people say in regards to masturbation. Really the center of this is understanding the true meaning of masturbation. (I never even heard of the topic until I was in high school and was told very little about it and quite frankly didn't want to know much about it, so this may sound like a ridiculous question. :blink:)

I've heard of people claiming that they masturbate in that they "excite" their bodies, but do not think of sexual thoughts or become sexually aroused. Their minds are elsewhere from thinking of anything sensuous and claim that they are simply enjoying the feeling that they get. Is this just some kinky self-abuse or what? If it is, how can it be explained the individual that this is immoral because they again are not thinking sexual thoughts or becoming sexually aroused. Isn't this world just messed up with the ideas that it has?

Okay and now I await to have tomatoes thrown at me while I run and try to escape by hiding underneath my covers. :tomato:
[/quote]
My tomatoes haven't come out yet, so no worries. When we are young, our world is pretty black and white. Our parents either tell us yes or no. We learn about right and wrong. Once we become adults, we realize that there are only a few things that remain strictly black and white, and in reality the world is an infinite variety of gray.

One thing that we all try to do, is twist ourselves into a pretzel trying to rationalize our behaviors to ourselves and our friends. When I was in law school, a professor told me that at the Appeals level, often judges won't really look at the law. They will decide which way they want to go, and then send their clerks off to find the opinions that will back up their decisions. That's what we all do at times. We decide first what we want to do, and then look for ways to justify our decisions. Unfortunately that's a good way to end up in trouble. You will know the day you have truly matured when you are able to tell yourself No. I enjoy a good back scratch. It is a pleasurable feeling. Once you are married however, you will find that a back scratch is rarely just a back scratch. People who believe they are pleasuring themselves without crossing the line are deluding themselves.

Thy Geekdom Come

Just popping in as a guy CS...we've heard it all before. :) No embarrassment necessary. It starts to feel like doctors say they feel. Nothing really shocks you when you work for the Church long enough, you just take care of the situation, answer the question, and move on. Those of us who are really good at our job (not me) can keep focused on the fact that someone is coming to us for help and that no matter what the reason, there's an opportunity to bring someone closer to Christ. That gives those folks enough strength to deal with anything.

All things considered, this is one of the more tame questions I've been asked.

As to the answer, I think Catherine did a fine job. I have nothing more to add.