An Old School Catholic Message Board

Discernment Is Ultimately Good :)

Mary Veronica

Mary Veronica
:shock: Does anyone know what it might feel like to be truly ecumenical in Christ, and not.... politically correct?

Most of my co-workers are of different Christian sects, and the most amazing thing is they support me in my discernment, although they don't know what it really is, or more or less that I'm Catholic...I don't know if they're just being kind (ie: "I'll respect you if you'll respect me") or if it's ecumenism ("all for the Glory of GOD!"). SO I'm very confused about my response as a Catholic to their overwhelming kindness :sadder:

this is a kind of personal and necessary concern, because I sort of feel that religious and priests have to constantly encounter people who might present themselves as very friendly and gracious, but are doing a lot of harm to others (ex: like when the Pope, Our Holy Father and the US President meets, or even something like a prominent benefactor to religious/priests who's going through a divorce outside the Church).

Is there such thing as being too kind and respectful? Should I even dare see it as a kind of parallel to the Parable of the Dishonest Steward, whom Our Lord suprisingly rewarded (LK 16: 1-12). not to be mistaken that my co-workers are the "dishonest stewards" but that I am ("we" are). Because we are very much seen as representing the Catholic Church (especially when people know we're called to religious/priestly life), by showing such mercy to those who are less "indebted" because MUch has not been entrusted to them as with us, does it give Glory to Jesus that we represent Him and the Church in an almost "shrewd" manner (by not being so judgemental , for fear of being judged ourselves) and yet make countless others believe so much in His Mercy (as well as the Church He established) as did the dishonest steward with His rich Master?:

LK 16: 1-12
[size="1"]1[/size] [size="1"]He also said to the disciples, "There was a rich man who had a steward, and charges were brought to him that this man was wasting his goods. [/size] [size="1"]2[/size] [size="1"]And he called him and said to him, `What is this that I hear about you? Turn in the account of your stewardship, for you can no longer be steward.' [/size] [size="1"]3[/size] [size="1"]And the steward said to himself, `What shall I do, since my master is taking the s tewardship away from me? I am not strong enough to dig, and I am ashamed to beg. [/size] [size="1"]4[/size] [size="1"]I have decided what to do, so that people may receive me into their houses when I am put out of the stewardship.' [/size] [size="1"]5[/size] [size="1"]So, summoning his master's debtors one by one, he said to the first, `How much do you owe my master?' [/size] [size="1"]6[/size] [size="1"]He said, `A hundred measures of oil.' And he said to him, `Take your bill, and sit down quickly and write fifty.' [/size] [size="1"]7[/size] [size="1"]Then he said to another, `And how much do you owe?' He said, `A hundred measures of wheat.' He said to him, `Take your bill, and write eighty.' [/size] [size="1"]8[/size] [size="1"]The master commended the dishonest steward for his shrewdness; for the sons of this world are more shrewd in dealing with their own generation than the sons of light. [/size] [size="1"]9[/size] [size="1"]And I tell you,make friends for yourselves by means of unrighteous mammon, so that when it fails they may receive you into the eternal habitations. [/size] [size="1"]10[/size] [size="1"]"He who is faithful in a very little is faithful also in much; and he who is dishonest in a very little is dishonest also in much. [/size] [size="1"]11[/size] [size="1"]If then you have not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon, who will entrust to you the true riches? [/size] [size="1"]12[/size] [size="1"]And if you have not been faithful in that which is another's, who will give you that which is your own? [/size]

Please help me to clear my conscience, it is very tempting to think that I'm a coward in my faith, that I should be enduring persecutions like St. Stephen, who was filled with the Holy Spirit to proclaim that Jesus is the Messiah and was unreasonably martyred! :sadwalk:

I even had a Baptist co-worker ask me if it was alright for her to pray the rosary, and if it is for Catholics ONLY....and I shrewdly said YES, she can pray the rosary!!! Because she's loving Jesus the way His own Mother Did! By Contemplating His Mysteries! and that would make Him HAPPY :weep: .... BUT I truly wanted to say, JUST BE CATHOLIC FOR GOODNESS SAKE and you can Pray the Rosary ALL YOU WANT to the fullness of it MERITS! *sobbing*

....any thoughts will be appreciated thank you :rain: Edited by Mary Veronica

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='Mary Veronica' date='25 May 2010 - 08:27 PM' timestamp='1274837265' post='2117833']
[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/shock.gif[/img] Does anyone know what it might feel like to be truly ecumenical in Christ, and not.... politically correct?[/quote]

You really need someone Catholic to answer your questions, but I'll add my bit of insight to what it feels like to be on the other--that is, non-Catholic--side.

[quote]Most of my co-workers are of different Christian sects, and the most amazing thing is they support me in my discernment, although they don't know what it really is, or more or less that I'm Catholic...I don't know if they're just being kind (ie: "I'll respect you if you'll respect me") or if it's ecumenism ("all for the Glory of GOD!"). SO I'm very confused about my response as a Catholic to their overwhelming kindness [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/sadder.gif[/img][/quote]

I obviously can't look into the hearts of your co-workers. But, having spent most of my life working in an office, I'd guess that some of them are just being kind, and maybe some are being ecumenical, but if it was me, I would be genuinely supportive of your discernment, and want you to find the vocation in life that God wants for you. Most Catholics assume that non-Catholics are necessarily anti-Catholic. At least in my case, this is not true.
[quote] This is a kind of personal and necessary concern, because I sort of feel that religious and priests have to constantly encounter people who might present themselves as very friendly and gracious, but are doing a lot of harm to others (ex: like when the Pope, Our Holy Father and the US President meets, or even something like a prominent benefactor to religious/priests who's going through a divorce outside the Church).

Is there such thing as being too kind and respectful? Should I even dare see it as a kind of parallel to the Parable of the Dishonest Steward, whom Our Lord suprisingly rewarded (LK 16: 1-12). not to be mistaken that my co-workers are the "dishonest stewards" but that I am ("we" are). Because we are very much seen as representing the Catholic Church (especially when people know we're called to religious/priestly life), by showing such mercy to those who are less "indebted" because MUch has not been entrusted to them as with us, does it give Glory to Jesus that we represent Him and the Church in an almost "shrewd" manner (by not being so judgemental , for fear of being judged ourselves) and yet make countless others believe so much in His Mercy (as well as the Church He established) as did the dishonest steward with His rich Master?: [/quote]

I like to think that I am one of those who is doing no harm, and genuinely wishes the best for people. But, I can see that, in one sense, you want to be careful whom you trust, but on the other hand, not be overly paranoid. Unfortunately, that is going to depend on the person. (And, one problem with co-workers is that there ARE other agendas in the workplace--that's not wrong, it's just the nature of the workplace. So, for example, co-workers may wish you the best in your discernment, at least in part, because if you left your job, they might get ahead faster. I don't know what your workplace is like--some are very competitive and others are not competitive at all.)

[quote]Please help me to clear my conscience, it is very tempting to think that I'm a coward in my faith, that I should be enduring persecutions like St. Stephen, who was filled with the Holy Spirit to proclaim that Jesus is the Messiah and was unreasonably martyred! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/sadwalk.gif[/img][/quote]

I can't answer this one. Also, it's true in most workplaces that discussion of religion is discouraged, if not verboten. (There are all kinds of federal laws about discriminating on the basis of religion, so many workplaces deal with the laws by saying, for example, that religious prosletyzing(sp?) is not allowed on work premises.) So, in some ways, the workplace is kind of an unnatural situation.

[quote]I even had a Baptist co-worker ask me if it was alright for her to pray the rosary, and if it is for Catholics ONLY....and I shrewdly said YES, she can pray the rosary!!! Because she's loving Jesus the way His own Mother Did! By Contemplating His Mysteries! and that would make Him HAPPY [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/weep.gif[/img] .... BUT I truly wanted to say, JUST BE CATHOLIC FOR GOODNESS SAKE and you can Pray the Rosary ALL YOU WANT to the fullness of it MERITS! *sobbing*

....any thoughts will be appreciated thank you [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/rain.gif[/img]
[/quote]

Several people on Phatmass who are converts have said that they started praying the Rosary before they became Catholic, sometimes for a long time. In answer to your question about why your co-workers just don't become Catholics, and pray the Rosary to the fullness of its merits, the only person I can answer for is me, and in my case, at least, it's not that easy. I still feel that there is a LOT more I'd need to know about the Catholic church, and that, for me, at least, there are some pretty big roadblocks. I'm not going to detail them, because the issues are very personal, and I'm not always sure that I understand what's going on myself, much less explain it to other people.

I do know that God is working on me. But, I also know, that for me, at least, it's likely to take a long time. One of my problems is that I am almost too honest (if that is possible). I know some people convert, almost without thinking, particularly if their spouse is Catholic and wants them to convert. That's not me at all!!! I couldn't convert unless I could do so honestly and with no major doubts, and be a REAL Catholic, not just someone who just goes through the motions. Plus, I'm someone who always wants to know "Why?" So, if it happens (and I don't even know that it will) it will be awhile, probably years. I'm just trying to stay open to whatever God wants, but I have no clue yet what that is.

My friends on Phatmass have been very patient with me. I think some of them understand, and some of them don't, but the ones that don't understand at least try (or pretend LOL) to respect me enough to know that my reasons for not converting immediately must be good ones. We've gotten to the place where we can joke a little about my possibly converting, but I HATE feeling pressured, so every once in awhile I act in an immature way and spend the next day or two apologizing to everyone for being so lame. I go through times where the "warring factions" inside my emotions and my intellect tear me apart.

So, even if you don't understand me, God is the one ultimately in charge, and he can be trusted. And, I like to think my friends on Phatmass know the great respect I have for the Catholic faith and that my questions are honest ones. I would never consciously do anything that interfered with their faith, or waste their time with questions that were just an intellectual exercise.

Like I said, you really need a Catholic to give you advice on what to do, but I thought I'd at least present the point of view of someone for whom conversion is not easy, in case that helps you understand your coworkers. I wish you the best.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

I understand how you feel, MV, and I've been in that situation many many times. I have tons of Protestant friends and many "not religious" conworkers who don't understand why i love my faith so much let alone to go and enter a convent!!! But I have gotten a lot of positive responses from them, to my great surprise, because I honestly expected o be tortured like all the good saints were. So, I would say thank them for their kindness and for respecting your decision; you can't really change what their motives are, and being unkind certainly would help anything. But at the same time don't glorify them (of course). The better they know you, the better they will know about your faith and what you hold to be truth. All you have to do is bear witness to the truth.
I'm pretty sure that the president knows the popes stand on moral issues. But if he isn't willing to budge when the topics come up, what else can the pope do? Praying is the best way you can help these people. As long as they know where you stand, you aren't really in a position to come
out and correct them. Help them see the truth and mainly the harm that it does to themselves and the peole they love.

All I can say about the possible "lemons", if I can use such a term, that you encounter is just to be a witness to them. You don't have to go straigt out and tell them all the good things they should be doing (in fact I would advise against that, no on slimed to be told they are wrong) but show them how happy and joyful and peacefilled you are by doing good and especially by being a Catholic. If they start to wonder, explain your happiness in the best way you can. They may think you are crazy but they will never forget it, and one day, when they need it most, that seed will be there and it will grow. But at the same time you can't be a push over. ( I need to take my own advice, this stuff is hard!!) don't try to be politically correct!!! Well, I guess it depends on where you work, I worked at a restaraunt, so no one was politically correct anyway. Be honest, and speak the truth as often as necessary. Sometimes it's necessary to just wait for people to come to you. As for being judgemenntal, don't condemn them, but don't act as if it's alright either. Take a, " I don't know all the circumstances, but i dint really think it was right" stance. God is ultimately the judge anyway so we don't have to worry about it.

I think God gave you a different form of martyrdom than He gave Saint Stephen: the martyrdom of being meek and living an ordinary life until He tells you otherwise. We aren't all called to be physical martyrs; think of how easy that would be!! Our dearly beloved JPII said that most of us are called to the martyrdom of everyday life. Of enduring temptation after temptation, trial after trial, for the sake ofthe kingdom. Continuously making ourselves a living sacrifice to the Lord. In my mind, this kind of martyrdom reaps far more grace ( the graces are also far more needed) because this martyrdom lasts our whole lifetime!!!

Hopefully that helps some. If I said something that makes no sense, I apologize; it's late and I'm stupid.
Prayers!! :pray:
Jessica

Mary Veronica

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='26 May 2010 - 12:16 AM' timestamp='1274847417' post='2118031']
You really need someone Catholic to answer your questions, but I'll add my bit of insight to what it feels like to be on the other--that is, non-Catholic--side.
[/quote]

OH THANK GOD! *relieved* I was kind of afraid of asking someone on the other non-Catholic-side, and well, here you are! :shock: THANK YOU!

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='26 May 2010 - 12:16 AM' timestamp='1274847417' post='2118031']
I obviously can't look into the hearts of your co-workers. But, having spent most of my life working in an office, I'd guess that some of them are just being kind, and maybe some are being ecumenical, but if it was me, I would be genuinely supportive of your discernment, and want you to find the vocation in life that God wants for you. Most Catholics assume that non-Catholics are necessarily anti-Catholic. At least in my case, this is not true.
[/quote]

AHH...it is true :unsure: "I" personally assumed that non-Catholics are anti-Catholic, that is, they look at us funny :huh: because we claim so many things in our faith that maybe they can't claim. What's interesting is that it doesn't take differences of religion for anyone to look at someone funny. I'm guilty of seeing even my own fellow Catholics as anti-Catholic, my own family as anti-family, and friends as anti-friends. Our Lord knows, maybe in the end :idontknow:, we'll all find out that we really believed so much in the same things, but were so blinded by our pride, self-love, and terrible wounds. BUT honestly, thank you for your genuine support...my sister in Christ :blush:

I like to think that I am one of those who is doing no harm, and genuinely wishes the best for people. But, I can see that, in one sense, you want to be careful whom you trust, but on the other hand, not be overly paranoid. Unfortunately, that is going to depend on the person. (And, one problem with co-workers is that there ARE other agendas in the workplace--that's not wrong, it's just the nature of the workplace. So, for example, co-workers may wish you the best in your discernment, at least in part, because if you left your job, they might get ahead faster. I don't know what your workplace is like--some are very competitive and others are not competitive at all.)
[/quote]

I work at a Nursing Facility as a Certified Nursing Assistant, it isn't so much competitive, but it's VERY territorial! I haven't invaded anyone's territory, so they don't treat me like a threat...I have no intention to tell people how to start doing their job. that's why I never liked the thought of telling others how to live their faith (because often when I have the urge to, I'm not very loving :duh:). The only way anyone, even I, would listen is if we were commanded by love. so to be honest, I have trouble listening to others who don't show any sign of genuine concern :sweat:...GOODNESS, I listen more to Him in the solitude of prayer and meditation, than to anyone else in my life! But don't get me wrong, you had me at "hello" I should say.

I can't answer this one. Also, it's true in most workplaces that discussion of religion is discouraged, if not verboten. (There are all kinds of federal laws about discriminating on the basis of religion, so many workplaces deal with the laws by saying, for example, that religious prosletyzing(sp?) is not allowed on work premises.) So, in some ways, the workplace is kind of an unnatural situation.
[/quote]

OH DUH, Why didn't I think of that! I feel so stupid!
:wall:

Several people on Phatmass who are converts have said that they started praying the Rosary before they became Catholic, sometimes for a long time. In answer to your question about why your co-workers just don't become Catholics, and pray the Rosary to the fullness of its merits, the only person I can answer for is me, and in my case, at least, it's not that easy. I still feel that there is a LOT more I'd need to know about the Catholic church, and that, for me, at least, there are some pretty big roadblocks. I'm not going to detail them, because the issues are very personal, and I'm not always sure that I understand what's going on myself, much less explain it to other people.
[/quote]

:weep: That is so beautiful...your discernment sounds so humble and full of hope. And all the while, I thought that people just don't like "change" because they are stubborn or bitter...I never thought that it might simply be "not easy." how could I forget my own personal conversion, which was not easy as well? :sailing:

I do know that God is working on me. But, I also know, that for me, at least, it's likely to take a long time. One of my problems is that I am almost too honest (if that is possible). I know some people convert, almost without thinking, particularly if their spouse is Catholic and wants them to convert. That's not me at all!!! I couldn't convert unless I could do so honestly and with no major doubts, and be a REAL Catholic, not just someone who just goes through the motions. Plus, I'm someone who always wants to know "Why?" So, if it happens (and I don't even know that it will) it will be awhile, probably years. I'm just trying to stay open to whatever God wants, but I have no clue yet what that is.

My friends on Phatmass have been very patient with me. I think some of them understand, and some of them don't, but the ones that don't understand at least try (or pretend LOL) to respect me enough to know that my reasons for not converting immediately must be good ones. We've gotten to the place where we can joke a little about my possibly converting, but I HATE feeling pressured, so every once in awhile I act in an immature way and spend the next day or two apologizing to everyone for being so lame. I go through times where the "warring factions" inside my emotions and my intellect tear me apart.

So, even if you don't understand me, God is the one ultimately in charge, and he can be trusted. And, I like to think my friends on Phatmass know the great respect I have for the Catholic faith and that my questions are honest ones. I would never consciously do anything that interfered with their faith, or waste their time with questions that were just an intellectual exercise.

Like I said, you really need a Catholic to give you advice on what to do, but I thought I'd at least present the point of view of someone for whom conversion is not easy, in case that helps you understand your coworkers. I wish you the best.
[/quote]

:love: I love when souls have the courage to ask forgiveness, because it shows more that they have such GREAT LOVE to forgive!!! God Bless you! I WISH YOU THE BEST! :iloveyou:

Mary Veronica

[quote name='JTheresa' date='26 May 2010 - 01:04 AM' timestamp='1274850269' post='2118058']
I understand how you feel, MV, and I've been in that situation many many times. I have tons of Protestant friends and many "not religious" conworkers who don't understand why i love my faith so much let alone to go and enter a convent!!! But I have gotten a lot of positive responses from them, to my great surprise, because I honestly expected o be tortured like all the good saints were. So, I would say thank them for their kindness and for respecting your decision; you can't really change what their motives are, and being unkind certainly would help anything. But at the same time don't glorify them (of course). The better they know you, the better they will know about your faith and what you hold to be truth. All you have to do is bear witness to the truth.
I'm pretty sure that the president knows the popes stand on moral issues. But if he isn't willing to budge when the topics come up, what else can the pope do? Praying is the best way you can help these people. As long as they know where you stand, you aren't really in a position to come
out and correct them. Help them see the truth and mainly the harm that it does to themselves and the peole they love.

All I can say about the possible "lemons", if I can use such a term, that you encounter is just to be a witness to them. You don't have to go straigt out and tell them all the good things they should be doing (in fact I would advise against that, no on slimed to be told they are wrong) but show them how happy and joyful and peacefilled you are by doing good and especially by being a Catholic. If they start to wonder, explain your happiness in the best way you can. They may think you are crazy but they will never forget it, and one day, when they need it most, that seed will be there and it will grow. But at the same time you can't be a push over. ( I need to take my own advice, this stuff is hard!!) don't try to be politically correct!!! Well, I guess it depends on where you work, I worked at a restaraunt, so no one was politically correct anyway. Be honest, and speak the truth as often as necessary. Sometimes it's necessary to just wait for people to come to you. As for being judgemenntal, don't condemn them, but don't act as if it's alright either. Take a, " I don't know all the circumstances, but i dint really think it was right" stance. God is ultimately the judge anyway so we don't have to worry about it.

I think God gave you a different form of martyrdom than He gave Saint Stephen: the martyrdom of being meek and living an ordinary life until He tells you otherwise. We aren't all called to be physical martyrs; think of how easy that would be!! Our dearly beloved JPII said that most of us are called to the martyrdom of everyday life. Of enduring temptation after temptation, trial after trial, for the sake ofthe kingdom. Continuously making ourselves a living sacrifice to the Lord. In my mind, this kind of martyrdom reaps far more grace ( the graces are also far more needed) because this martyrdom lasts our whole lifetime!!!
[/quote]

:sadder: that was so helpful! I'd forgotten about the power :shock: of hidden love through prayer, sacrifice, and spiritual martyrdom. and your comments remind me of Our Mother Mary because she can bring so much peace to my heart through encouragement and assurance. May she look with GREAT joy on you and all those who imitate her virtues!

:bow: GLORY TO GOD for all His True Children who magnify the Greatness of His Mercy and LOVE!

[quote name='JTheresa' date='26 May 2010 - 01:04 AM' timestamp='1274850269' post='2118058']
Hopefully that helps some. If I said something that makes no sense, I apologize; it's late and I'm stupid.
Prayers!! :pray:
Jessica
[/quote]

:lol: then thanks for being stupid because it's late. I understood to the good of my soul!:grouphug:

laetitia crucis

[quote name='vee8' date='24 May 2010 - 11:37 AM' timestamp='1274715478' post='2116541']
*cough* You know Teresa has a nice little order she reformed that does a lot of praying for priests *cough* :deal: :whistle: They are VERY Marian too, and brown doesn't show stains so easily as white ;)

Sorry I know you're a die hard Dominican but I couldnt resist! I think I've been infected or something :lol: :help: Of course you can pray for the Jesuits in any order or state in life and I feel called to do that too. Lord knows they certainly need it! :mellow:

edited for typo
[/quote]

:mellow:

I haven't the slightest idea what you're talking about. I mean, Carmelites? Who's ever heard of Carmelites? Is that the new low-fat caramel drink from Starbucks? :coffee:

;) :blowkiss:

[size="1"]Actually, I can only fantasize about being a Carmelite. I've always known it's not my vocation, but wow... I've always had (and will continue to have) such admiration for all called to it. :notworthy: Pure awesomeness.[/size]

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='26 May 2010 - 10:15 PM' timestamp='1274930145' post='2118881']
[size="1"]Actually, I can only fantasize about being a Carmelite. I've always known it's not my vocation, but wow... I've always had (and will continue to have) such admiration for all called to it. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/notworthy2.gif[/img] Pure awesomeness.[/size]
[/quote]

Don't you have to have visions and stuff to be a Carmelite? I want to be a Jesuit. They'd let me in just because of my birthday, even though I'd probably be a total loser Jesuit.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

laetitia crucis

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='26 May 2010 - 11:18 PM' timestamp='1274930326' post='2118885']
Don't you have to have visions and stuff to be a Carmelite? I want to be a Jesuit. They'd let me in just because of my birthday, even though I'd probably be a total loser Jesuit.
[/quote]

:lol: If this is the case, then I would totally fail at being a Carmelite! Heehee. :D

Back in the day, I wanted to be the first female Jesuit. I wanted to reform the Order like St. Teresa of Avila did for the Carmelites. :sweat:

I think you could help whip them back into shape! :sword: :shield: Perhaps they need a new infusion of some good German no-nonsense sanctity!

:woot:

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='26 May 2010 - 10:15 PM' timestamp='1274930145' post='2118881']
:mellow:

I haven't the slightest idea what you're talking about. I mean, Carmelites? Who's ever heard of Carmelites? Is that the new low-fat caramel drink from Starbucks? :coffee:

;) :blowkiss:[/quote]

Yes, yes it is.
I get all misty eyed remembering the not so long ago days when I said :dunce: whats a Carmelite? Who is Teresa of Avila? :sweat: :weep: Boy do I regret asking that! <_< :sadwalk:

[quote][size="1"]Actually, I can only fantasize about being a Carmelite. I've always known it's not my vocation, but wow... I've always had (and will continue to have) such admiration for all called to it. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/notworthy2.gif[/img] Pure awesomeness.[/size][/quote]
[size="1"]
The joy that comes through in your posts is like the joy that emanates when you talk to them, so at least in that regard you would make a good Carmelite. Not that other Orders dont have joyful sisters too its just I wasnt expecting what I found. [/size]

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='26 May 2010 - 10:18 PM' timestamp='1274930326' post='2118885']
[/quote]

Oh good another who wants to be a Jesuit :twothumbsup:

Thomist-in-Training

Some people really do admire nuns, even non-Catholics. Several people I've met at different jobs have mentioned this (once [i]a propos de moi[/i], once [i]a propos d'une amie[/i] who had JUST entered which I mentioned in conversation).

Not just PMers, but Saints, prayed the Rosary before becoming Catholic :) Like Bl. umumum Bartolo Longo who founded the shrine to Our Lady of the Rosary of Pompei. He prayed a rosary sort of on a dare, after being REALLY DEEP in sin (he was a PRIEST OF SATAN) and was converted again by praying the rosary. Yah. Let them pray the rosary. There are many pious anecdotes of people who were saved through our Lady's intercession after just occasionally praying a Hail Mary devoutly. So it's definitely not like an obstacle to her becoming Catholic for her to pray the rosary, God willing it will have been a [i]means[/i]. Think about it--graces have to come from somewhere. Sometimes a nun does an act of penance somewhere and suddenly someone has a deathbed conversion, almost willy-nilly. But sometimes, I [i]suppose[/i], (I'm supposing here, I don't know the exact details of the mysteries of Grace), God gives someone an attraction for something like praying the rosary, and that way they can 'save up' themselves part of the graces that will lead to their conversion. See what I mean?

P.S. 'umumum' is not part of his name, it's me indicating my searching my memory ;)

[quote name='Mary Veronica' date='25 May 2010 - 09:27 PM' timestamp='1274837265' post='2117833']
Please help me to clear my conscience, it is very tempting to think that I'm a coward in my faith, that I should be enduring persecutions like St. Stephen, who was filled with the Holy Spirit to proclaim that Jesus is the Messiah and was unreasonably martyred! :sadwalk:

I even had a Baptist co-worker ask me if it was alright for her to pray the rosary, and if it is for Catholics ONLY....and I shrewdly said YES, she can pray the rosary!!! Because she's loving Jesus the way His own Mother Did! By Contemplating His Mysteries! and that would make Him HAPPY :weep: .... BUT I truly wanted to say, JUST BE CATHOLIC FOR GOODNESS SAKE and you can Pray the Rosary ALL YOU WANT to the fullness of it MERITS! *sobbing*

....any thoughts will be appreciated thank you :rain:
[/quote]

Edited by Thomist-in-Training

Mary Veronica

[quote name='Thomist-in-Training' date='27 May 2010 - 09:32 PM' timestamp='1275010360' post='2119471']
Some people really do admire nuns, even non-Catholics. Several people I've met at different jobs have mentioned this (once [i]a propos de moi[/i], once [i]a propos d'une amie[/i] who had JUST entered which I mentioned in conversation).

Not just PMers, but Saints, prayed the Rosary before becoming Catholic :) Like Bl. umumum Bartolo Longo who founded the shrine to Our Lady of the Rosary of Pompei. He prayed a rosary sort of on a dare, after being REALLY DEEP in sin (he was a PRIEST OF SATAN) and was converted again by praying the rosary. Yah. Let them pray the rosary. There are many pious anecdotes of people who were saved through our Lady's intercession after just occasionally praying a Hail Mary devoutly. So it's definitely not like an obstacle to her becoming Catholic for her to pray the rosary, God willing it will have been a [i]means[/i]. Think about it--graces have to come from somewhere. Sometimes a nun does an act of penance somewhere and suddenly someone has a deathbed conversion, almost willy-nilly. But sometimes, I [i]suppose[/i], (I'm supposing here, I don't know the exact details of the mysteries of Grace), God gives someone an attraction for something like praying the rosary, and that way they can 'save up' themselves part of the graces that will lead to their conversion. See what I mean?

P.S. 'umumum' is not part of his name, it's me indicating my searching my memory ;)

[/quote]

^_^ I don't feel too bad then for what I said! I didn't know that people have prayed the rosary prior to their conversion (whether to Catholicism or simple trust in God's Mercy at their last hour)! I should've known, because St. Louis de Montfort teaches salvation through the Rosary. God forgive me, I sort of felt that it might be another way of "protesting" that they can still live their faith without the support of the Church and all it's saints :paperbag:. what was I thinking? :pray: who can pray the rosary with prejudice in their heart? if anything, it'll nurture meekness and hope that is akin to all the saints! Also, it was a gracious gift from our Holy Mother Church to teach and encourage all to be good and holy Christians <3.

yeah, I thought umumum was really a name, thanks for clarifying!!!

God Bless you my sister in Christ!

P.S.
:bounce: ooh ooh ooh, is that photo of a Poor Clare Colettine Investiture? and from what foundation? (did they come from Roswell, do you know Mother Mary Francis? and her book a Right to be Merry?)

if not, then...uh...:guitar: *singing* [i]just disregard my meaningless rambling[/i]

Edited by Mary Veronica

Mary Veronica

speaking about singing...um, this is random, but does anyone have special songs/chants/classicals that inspires them and others to discern. I'm just gonna throw that question out there. I sound crazy but anyway, this is a great chant that can help increase hope for God's Loving Will for us :sign::

[media][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37q9zIznj2M&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.c...feature=related[/url][/media]

Missa de Angelis: Mass of the angels

^_^ (I used to be more charismatic, but lately my taste has sloOOOWed down...but once in awhile I hear Chris Tomlin:whistle:)

Edited by Mary Veronica

OnlySunshine

This song inspires me to give my life to God in a radical way. :)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vMYP4uJAqY[/media]

The Church hymn, "Here I am, Lord" was always one that inspired me. It was sung during Mass when I really wanted an answer for my discernment. Well, let's just say that was a big clue. :getaclue:

Heehee.

:bigshock:

Edited by JTheresa