An Old School Catholic Message Board

Youth Group - Please Help!

Brother Adam

Brother Adam

Yeah, the pastor is completely against Lifeteen here due to bad experiences and the constant liturgical errors, so I can't even smell like a lifeteen parish much less look like one. Every time it says "talk" on the schedule that is a catechetical talk or "issues" night. The teens on my core team said they don't want a whole night of just lessons. They want to mix it up. Do something fun for a while, worship for a while, have a lesson, but one that goes no more than 30-45 minutes. We are also starting small and evangelizing so we are going to be heavy on social stuff until we build up the youth group.

fides quarens intellectum

[quote name='tinytherese' date='01 June 2010 - 01:55 PM' timestamp='1275418525' post='2122192']
Nobody has to figure out on their own who their protector or enemy is. It can be revealed afterwards from others. From what I can remember, there wasn't touching involved. We just weren't supposed to be close to our enemy. It was really us running around the room trying to get away from and to other people.
[/quote]

oh... i see - that makes more sense. thanks!

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='29 May 2010 - 04:43 PM' timestamp='1275176613' post='2120375']
Basically, I want to know what youth actually want to do. What would make you even remotely interested in coming to youth group without your parents forcing you and it not JUST being fun stuff.
[/quote]
feed them dinner on a weekly basis. many youth, between school, jobs, and sports, don't get to eat dinner. make dinner/lunch a part of your curriculum.

homeschoolmom
:mellow: I need to know more about this glow-in-the-dark toilet paper dodgeball about which you speak.

Brother Adam

Yeah, I stole that one. I need a ton of more ideas like it, so I may purchase the Lifeteen curriculum just for those icebreakers.

Basically you use toilet paper rolls with glow sticks rubber banded in them. Set up some black lights as well if you want (have the kids wear white), and have different teams where different color glow sticks and play. I can try to get you the complete instructions.

homeschoolmom

Interesting. I thought you used actual [url="http://dvice.com/archives/2010/02/glow-in-the-dar-1.php"]glow-in-the-dark TP[/url] (which is not cheap)... Glowsticks are way cheaper.

Nihil Obstat

Anyone who's interested should go on youtube and search "medicine ball dodgeball" :evil: It's not quite appropriate for me to link.

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='02 June 2010 - 11:35 AM' timestamp='1275492957' post='2122723']
Yeah, the pastor is completely against Lifeteen here due to bad experiences and the constant liturgical errors, so I can't even smell like a lifeteen parish much less look like one. Every time it says "talk" on the schedule that is a catechetical talk or "issues" night. The teens on my core team said they don't want a whole night of just lessons. They want to mix it up. Do something fun for a while, worship for a while, have a lesson, but one that goes no more than 30-45 minutes. We are also starting small and evangelizing so we are going to be heavy on social stuff until we build up the youth group.
[/quote]

I can understand wanting to stay away from Lifeteen, they were pretty messed up in the past. It's much better now though. In any case, they have alot to offer outside of Mass. They have these planning guides for nights based on different themes or lessons that are totally in depth. They are worth looking at to get some ideas.

A whole night revolving around 30-45 minute talk is a scary thought. I've found that my teens barely remember anything over 15 minutes, and even then you have to take a few key sentences and repeat them throughout the other activities you do in the course of the night (prayers/scripture/games/discussions). Basically hammer it home.

If you ever get to the point, Jason Evert's Theology of the Body for Teens series has some great resources as well. It's structured more for a classroom than Lifeteen's stuff, but it has alot of good ideas for games/stories/discussion/media clips/prayer services/etc

Brother Adam

Yeah, we ran Theology of the Body for Teens this past Spring. It was a great program, though I am not fond of working with the publisher, Catholic Word, they seem more concerned about money than anything else. We have never had any problems in the past doing a 30-45 minute study with high schoolers. When I was in high school all of my Bible studies at the Protestant groups ran well over an hour and were hugely popular.

let_go_let_God

I've run TOBT as well. It's a good program that also lets you do a lot more with the material than just what's in the books and dvds.

God bless-
LGLG

Ephrem Augustine

We did Ninja, Bear, Cowboy, kind of like rock paper scissors and each defeats only one other.

scavenger hunts make good ice breakers, one scavenger hunt bingo I like, is you have to find somebody with a birthday in june, somebody who likes strawberry ice cream, somebody who plays basketball, etc. That way it requires them to ask people questions, and then fill out as many of the squares as they can. Whoever fills out all of them wins. And then when the first person comes over to you, you dont stop them right away either, especially if they dont notice.

umm thats all i can think of right now.

tinytherese

I haven't had any personal experience with any of the books on here, but I was recommended looked at the stuff on here. It seems especially helpful when it comes to youth ministry resources. http://www.smp.org/

There's also the T-3 Biblical Timeline which is The Great Adventure Biblical Timeline geared towards teens.