An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Random Vocations Chat Type Of Thread

vee

Thomist-in-Training

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='01 June 2010 - 01:04 AM' timestamp='1275368699' post='2121935']
Random question for the random vocations thread: How do y'all deal with the desire to be in religious life already, but having to be out in the world for however long for whatever circumstances?

(Hope I don't bring things too serious with this! Feel free to continue with the silliness!)
[/quote]

Funnily enough, besides the usual suspects of more prayer, etc., literature has sort of helped me with this. Every so often I run into a character who's sort of out of place, not necessarily for the same reason but just caught between things, and I always sympathize with them. Some of them are quite different from me in other ways :sweat: This isn't necessarily a list of recommendations, I sort of am interested to write these out for myself because I have been thinking about them. But they might be worth a look.

Ex. 'Miguel in the Real World' a young adult novel by Francisco X. someone--the hero is a teen with Asperger's or something like that who's Catholic

'Whisper of the Heart' (movie) :blush: The title is ridiculous but you can find it on DVD because it's from a studio that Hayao Miyazaki was part of, although he didn't direct it. There's a young boy there who has sort of a "vocation" to music and is trying to figure out the right time to follow it, or not, or what. It was just the right movie at a certain point in my life about 2 years ago...

Reading about St. Gemma Galgani sort of helps, because she didn't know whether or not she would get to enter the convent, and what convent; but on the other hand sometimes she is overwhelmingly intimidating, at least to me!

Alice Thomas Ellis is a modern Catholic author, and she is a bit quirky but some of her books really resonate. 'The 27th Kingdom' has a character who is sent out of the monastery temporarily during her postulancy to stay with an 'aunt' (the Mother Superior's sister in her house in Britain). She is pretty sympathetic although she makes one or two odd comments. Another trilogy of hers is sort of along the same lines but goes through some very odd plot points so I don't know if I'd recommend it, although I did enjoy it mostly.

The beginning of Maria Von Trapp's "Trapp Family Singers" has the story of how she came to leave the abbey and it is quite neat in terms of divine Providence.

[quote name='brightsadness' date='01 June 2010 - 03:16 PM' timestamp='1275419811' post='2122200']
Wonderful thread. I feel rather random of late.[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/lol_roll.gif[/img] Went to Crater lake yesterday with my folks. Last Oregon thing to do. It was glorious. Still covered with snow and the trees are glorious. Climbed to the rim but couldn't see the water because of fog. And it all sang Glory, Glory to Our God.

Today we begin the drive back to Illinois (with my stuff for storage in the trailer.) My dad is driving the Uhaul and Mom and I are in my car. We plan to take it slowly. Please keep us in your prayers.

Anya
[/quote]
sounds fun!!
:pray:

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='01 June 2010 - 09:39 AM' timestamp='1275403153' post='2122062']

However, one of the really unexpected positives about being home with family is that my younger sister and her family have moved back in town a few weeks ago. I've been helping her with her two children (a five year old and an almost-six month old) and this has been a beautiful blessing. Growing up, my sister and I were never that close, but now... I'd say we're definitely really good friends. I guess all it took was a few years apart to mature. :lol:

My sister has been really open to understanding my vocation. She asks questions and listens with an open heart. Such a blessing! (Not to mention, her children melt my heart... and occasionally make me want to pull out my hair with the older one - Miss Drama Queen. :sweat: )
[/quote]

Whoa ok now I'm creeped out :mellow: In my case my older sis and I didn't really get along growing up but now things are much better. I've also found myself helping take care of her kids a lot ages 2 and 2 months. She doesn't know what's on my mind though but it's been wonderful to spend this time with them. It's also given me a lot to think about in terms of the Holy Family and Jesus at those ages. I've been around kids a lot however until now I never really thought of Jesus Mary or Joseph doing the same things. Anyway it's fantastic that your sister seems understanding. I have no idea what mine would think if I actually have a vocation.

[quote name='brightsadness' date='01 June 2010 - 02:16 PM' timestamp='1275419811' post='2122200']
Wonderful thread. I feel rather random of late.[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/lol_roll.gif[/img] Went to Crater lake yesterday with my folks. Last Oregon thing to do. It was glorious. Still covered with snow and the trees are glorious. Climbed to the rim but couldn't see the water because of fog. And it all sang Glory, Glory to Our God.

Today we begin the drive back to Illinois (with my stuff for storage in the trailer.) My dad is driving the Uhaul and Mom and I are in my car. We plan to take it slowly. Please keep us in your prayers.

Anya
[/quote]

I'm excited for you! And praying too :pray:

OnlySunshine

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='01 June 2010 - 01:04 AM' timestamp='1275368699' post='2121935']
Random question for the random vocations thread: How do y'all deal with the desire to be in religious life already, but having to be out in the world for however long for whatever circumstances?

(Hope I don't bring things too serious with this! Feel free to continue with the silliness!)
[/quote]

I immerse myself into my work as a Nurse's aid. I feel like I can serve God through my work by doing little things that are not expected for my residents. Even though I am getting paid, I would do it even if I wasn't because I love serving Christ in all of them--even the cranky ones. :rolleyes:

I honestly believe I could have a vocation to religious life, but I am not 100% certain. My heart craves community prayer, recreation with my community, and serving the elderly/sick in a nursing apostolate. I wish I could be there now, but God is using my job right now as a stepping stone to being a nurse in religious life. I keep remembering that and I get through.

One thing I wish for is that I could attend Mass everyday, but there are no Churches in my area that offer evening Mass during the weekdays. :ohno: Since I work daytime shift, I am only able to attend on the weekend and my days off.

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='31 May 2010 - 10:47 PM' timestamp='1275364027' post='2121869']
I think I've tried [i]reeeeeeally[/i] hard to really like the Carmelites. I mean, I don't "dislike" them by any means. :sweat: However, I guess for me, it would be like trying to fit a circle-shaped piece into a square hole (if that makes sense).

St. John of the Cross totally captivates me with his mystic brilliance and poetic beauty -- all thanks to [i]The Ascent[/i]. :notworthy:

I am happy to admire him high atop Mt. Carmel.

I stand in awe of the contemplative vocation, especially the Carmelite contemplative vocation.

[size="1"]All who make it there one day, please say a little prayer for me... (God willing) I'll be that klutzy Dominican in a tomato-sauce-and-coffee stained habit tripping over myself and laughing hysterically while attempting to pray my Rosary at the bottom of the Mount.[/size]
[/quote]

:lol:
I met a clumbsy Carmelite. Me " I can't be a nun I'm a klutz and messy." Her laughing away and pointing to a missing tooth " I knocked this out working on the fence!" Me with shock and laughter " wow, ok maybe I can!".

TeresaBenedicta

Went to the local Dominican priory for Mass today and thought about how awesome it would be to be a Dominican. ;-)

More randomness. I was just reading chapter three of the Interior Castle and :love: it was just what I needed to hear when I needed to hear it. Thank you God for your wonderful servant Teresa... even if some paintings of her aren't that great :sweat:

Amor vincit omnia

Hi Everyone

I just wanted to post something since well I am also discerning a religious vocation...I've actually been discerning a religious vocation for a while now! I was part of a religious community a few years back and left due to circumstances beyond my control. Since then I have been running away from Him because at the time I was very naive and just did not want to admit that He was calling me! So I have been running ever since...an I have decided to hang up my running shoes and here I am discerning my call to religious life...I still very much feel called to a particular community but I am also looking into others...

I have been reading and posting here and there on the vocation phorum but I would love to post more often...and not be a phorum stalker anymore! hahah :lol_roll:

Please know that I pray for everyone in the Vocation Station! You guys really inspire me to continue on this journey even when it seems so scary at times!

Thank you!

OnlySunshine

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='01 June 2010 - 05:18 PM' timestamp='1275427080' post='2122283']
Went to the local Dominican priory for Mass today and thought about how awesome it would be to be a Dominican. ;-)
[/quote]

I wish there was a monastery or priory where I lived. I would love to have a Dominican as a spiritual director. Sadly, there aren't very many religious communities where I live. :weep:

Tridenteen

JMJ
Random thought...

When I pray I like to read a quote from JRR Tolkein's Lord of the Rings:

[b]"All your words are but to say: you are a woman, and your part is in the house. But when the man have gone and died in battle, you have leave to be burned with the house, for the men will need to it no longer. But I am of the house of Eorl, and not a serving woman. I can ride and wield blade, and I do not fear either pain or death." Eowyn said. "And what do you fear?" Aragorn asked. "A cage. To be behind bars until old age accepts them, and all chance of greatness is gone," she answered, and then left."[/b]

This isn't so much as religious, but thought provoking to me. Some seminarians told me that they respect the vocation of a woman and admire it greatly. It was their thought that it is the vocation of a woman that keeps balancew. For although a priest can offer Mass, and do the Sacraments, we hold together the veil that separates the supernatural dimension from our dimension, and prevent a great deal of evil from entering. We catechize, and go where they can't. We teach in schools, nurse the sick, assist the elderly and dying, and do so much more. We are the other side of the equation. This quote remins me what my job as a religious will be. I will attend to my house, so to speak, but I will be a soldier for Christ, and fight evil (missionary and contemplative in a sense).

Well, that was random. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif[/img]

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Tridenteen' date='01 June 2010 - 11:15 PM' timestamp='1275448531' post='2122563']
JMJ
Random thought...

When I pray I like to read a quote from JRR Tolkein's Lord of the Rings:

[b]"All your words are but to say: you are a woman, and your part is in the house. But when the man have gone and died in battle, you have leave to be burned with the house, for the men will need to it no longer. But I am of the house of Eorl, and not a serving woman. I can ride and wield blade, and I do not fear either pain or death." Eowyn said. "And what do you fear?" Aragorn asked. "A cage. To be behind bars until old age accepts them, and all chance of greatness is gone," she answered, and then left."[/b]

This isn't so much as religious, but thought provoking to me. Some seminarians told me that they respect the vocation of a woman and admire it greatly. It was their thought that it is the vocation of a woman that keeps balancew. For although a priest can offer Mass, and do the Sacraments, we hold together the veil that separates the supernatural dimension from our dimension, and prevent a great deal of evil from entering. We catechize, and go where they can't. We teach in schools, nurse the sick, assist the elderly and dying, and do so much more. We are the other side of the equation. This quote remins me what my job as a religious will be. I will attend to my house, so to speak, but I will be a soldier for Christ, and fight evil (missionary and contemplative in a sense).

Well, that was random. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif[/img]
[/quote]

I don't know if you saw my post before, so I thought I'd post again. You didn't think there are any religious communities that are active and celebrate the Latin Mass. I found one that is in union with Holy Mother Church.

[url="http://sistersofstbenedictcenter.org/index.html"]Sisters of St. Benedict[/url]

TeresaBenedicta

Not strictly vocational-related, but it blows my mind nonetheless...

[i]The slightest degree of sanctifying grace contained in the soul of an infant after baptism is more precious than the natural good of the entire universe, all angelic natures taken together included therein; for the least degree of sanctifying grace belongs to an enormously superior order, to the order of the inner life of God, which is superior to all miracles and to all the outward signs of divine revelation.[/i] From [u]The Three Ages of the Interior Life[/u] by Fr. Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange, O.P.

God is awesome.

Tridenteen

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='01 June 2010 - 10:34 PM' timestamp='1275449672' post='2122581']
I don't know if you saw my post before, so I thought I'd post again. You didn't think there are any religious communities that are active and celebrate the Latin Mass. I found one that is in union with Holy Mother Church.

[url="http://sistersofstbenedictcenter.org/index.html"]Sisters of St. Benedict[/url]
[/quote]

JMJ
I have alreay been in contact with the Sisters...and they were kind...but the Feeneyism thing got to me after awhile.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Tridenteen' date='02 June 2010 - 05:52 PM' timestamp='1275515522' post='2122868']
JMJ
I have alreay been in contact with the Sisters...and they were kind...but the Feeneyism thing got to me after awhile.
[/quote]

I understand. That would get to me, too. The good thing is that these Sisters are in union with the Magisterium while the other Slaves' community is not.