An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Random Vocations Chat Type Of Thread

vee

These "frustrations" are very normal for humans to have whether we are discerning a profession, marriage, a move anything that is a change, of a serious nature and life altering. Also, there are negative elements in the world that creep up in our lives at times especially when we are so strong in our faith and committments. I have seen a large improvement recently in your overall attitude about life and your vocation. It was very razzle dazzle of one of your professors to comment that you seem to have a way about you that suggests you are called to Religious Life. So, with all the positive energy there is likely to be a tug in the other direction. Just enjoy each moment as it comes!

FutureSister2009

I see what you mean. I just wish I knew what I was definitely called to do. I feel like God is testing me to see if I trust Him. At this point, I'll do whatever He wants me to do. It doesn't matter what it is. I just want to do His Will. And I want to be happy

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='FutureSister2009' timestamp='1323012276' post='2344358']
I see what you mean. I just wish I knew what I was definitely called to do. I feel like God is testing me to see if I trust Him. At this point, I'll do whatever He wants me to do. It doesn't matter what it is. I just want to do His Will. And I want to be happy
[/quote]

Doing God's Will will lead to your happiness. Do you have a spiritual director? I think you could benefit from having a trained spiritual companion who could help you sort through your spiritual life, especially these trials.

God's peace.

Guest hermanita

My dad got the letter I sent about feeling called to religious life. He is ok but says he needs to talk with me "seriously" when I come for Christmas. In the meantime he's researching the community. I'm sure they can handle it. ;) Please keep praying.

FutureSister2009

Prayers.

I feel a little better right now. I talked to a trusted friend tonight about what's been going on and she completely understood. She was very helpful. She's not a Spiritual Director but she's the next best thing. I am going to get a Spiritual Director and talk to them about it as well. In the meantime, I'm going to try to just live my life and give it all to God and see what He wants me to do.

One funny thing and a request for prayer.
First we had a variety show at my parish this evening and as the final act our younger priest totally rocked it out on his electric guitar. Our older priest right after that put in a vocations "plug" ("See you don't have to give up anything not even your guitar, well you do have to give up your girl friend"). It made me laugh and I was happy to see them trying to encourage vocations.
My prayer request is that I asked my mom to use the car to go visit the RSM (the only way I could get there) and she told me she would have to think it over. I'm not sure if it is a good or bad thing. I'm hoping for a positive outcome!

Tonight, for CRHP, we had a night of discernment for our roles in the future women's weekend in March 2012. I truly thought that it would be difficult to choose a role with the help of the Holy Spirit because there were so many that were beautiful. But, the Lord worked quickly and I heard the call to become a Co-Spiritual Director! I will be working with 3 beautiful women and Father to assist in the spiritual growth of the women at the retreat. I am so excited! I feel peaceful and relaxed about the upcoming formation. :)

I also learned tonight why God did not want me to enter the RSMs. He needed me to stay on with the CRHP team as I will be doing this role twice (this retreat and again in September 2012). If I entered in August, I would not be able to fulfill the role. See!?! The Holy Spirit ALWAYS has a plan. ;)

Mater, I'm so happy you've come to some resolution about the RSM's. God is in the driver's seat, so to speak. Your time will come and the right community will welcome you with open arms when the time is right. I know it's so hard to do, but waiting on the Lord is one of the hardest things I've ever done (and still do). As mentioned in another thread, our time is not the convent's time, the monastery's time, nor God's time. We may think the timing stinks (sorry, but I couldn't think a better word than that), but there's absolutely nothing we can do about it. I have tried to "push" God, and He's "pushed" back and I didn't appreciate it at the time. But as the years have passed, I know that He knew what was best for me. No one, not your family, friends, neighbors, anyone has invested more in you than the Lord. If He has planted the seed, He will help nurture it and bring it to fruition.

Prayers for you and your new responsibilities. As a SD myself, I know just how important it is to have good one, so I pray you embrace the training you will take with an open mind and heart. And that you will take these young women into your heart and love them, help them look deep inside themselves, and bring them to a deeper understanding of themselves and how the Lord is working in and through them.

FutureSister2009

Tonight, oh tonight. We are having our first Women's Discernment Group Dinner tonight. I am really looking forward to it. I am going to hopefully have the courage to ask Sr. John Marie if she'll be my Spiritual Director. I would like to see what she has to say about what's been going on with me. But since the semester is just about over, we may not be able to really start until next semester. That's ok though.

And then of course after dinner I get to go see Joseph again tonight and then I'll start drooling over the guy who plays Joseph because i have no self-control. :wall:

It was so amesome to talk to the best-est friend last night in person on the couch on the fourth floor at OLOH. I miss being able to do that more often. It is so good just to talk about discernment and posts we have made on here and all of that stuff. It helps to talk in person and she mentioned many things that helped me out. I love you i<3franciscans! :love:

I'm encouraged now even more to do what I have to do!

[quote name='FutureSister2009' timestamp='1323263144' post='2346369']

And then of course after dinner I get to go see Joseph again tonight and then I'll start drooling over the guy who plays Joseph because i have no self-control. :wall:
[/quote]

Yay for the prospect of a spiritual director! We all sound like broken records, but it really does help discernment. Speaking of which, I need to make an appt. with mine before break. Going home to my parents' for extended times is sometimes.... interesting for my spiritual life. It's harder to go to Mass.

As for the Joseph issue? No worries, just because you think you are called to religious life doesn't mean you lose all attraction to men. Especially at the point where you are at in your discernment, just focus on trying to see him as a child of God- the whole person, not just his looks, voice, etc. That tends to help me when I get a little swept away.

Here's a really good article I just read about emotional chastity, how as women, we sometimes let our feeling get the best of us so we start looking ahead and planning before it's even an option (I think this applies to discerning married and religious life!). It's quite good, especially the sections "the emotional roller coaster" and "getting off the ride." [url="http://jenforman.wordpress.com/2011/07/12/emotional-chastity/"]http://jenforman.wordpress.com/2011/07/12/emotional-chastity/[/url]

But don't beat yourself against a :wall: You aren't alone!

Hooray for Spiritual Directors! It's not just because I am one, but that most people (especially those who are discering) should have one. I think you'd laugh if you saw what my room looks like where I see directees. Bible, candles, spiritual books and DVD's, CD and player, clay (yes, you read it right) stones, and assorted other little goodies. And of course, Kleenex. And there's 3 bird feeders right outside the window that looks over the lake. It's amazing what clues people give when they pick up a lump of clay and start working with it. Sometimes the silence and the physicality of doing something instead of just talking speaks volumes. And my job is not to TELL a directee what to do, but to guide them on a path to find the answer/s inside themselves. It does no good whatsoever for me to say, "Yes, you should do this" or "No, you are not called to do that", but rather to help them discover the answers they already have buried inside. I'm just the facilitator, not the instructor. I can offer suggestions, but they are just that, suggestions, for further personal and spiritual growth.
Okay, I ramble. It's early and I haven't had any coffee :stars:

[quote name='FutureSister2009' timestamp='1323263144' post='2346369']
Tonight, oh tonight. We are having our first Women's Discernment Group Dinner tonight. I am really looking forward to it. I am going to hopefully have the courage to ask Sr. John Marie if she'll be my Spiritual Director. I would like to see what she has to say about what's been going on with me. But since the semester is just about over, we may not be able to really start until next semester. That's ok though.

[/quote]

That would be great if she is your sd! I never knew that nuns could be Spiritual Directors! :woot:
Many prayers that you have the courage to ask her and that she says yes!