An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Random Vocations Chat Type Of Thread

vee

FutureSister2009

[quote name='DarleneSteinemann' timestamp='1323553890' post='2348700']
I do not know where to ask this - I cannot figure out how to put my replies with the corresponding post - Any help is appreciated.
[/quote]

All you have to do is hit quote on the bottom right of the post you want to reply to

Edited by FutureSister2009

[quote name='FutureSister2009' timestamp='1323551095' post='2348680']
Ummm so I guess I'll share what's going on and where I am in discerment right now. We are working to have our discernment group meeting once a month. We are going to be open to all Vocations. I have decided that based on what's been going on with me lately that I am going to be open to whatever God sends to me. If He wants me in married life, I'll accept it, I just hope He's got someone perfect for me. And if He wants me in Religious Life, I'll accept that too. Whatever He wants, I'll do it. I only want to do His Will for me. I am here right now for a reason and I know God has more plans in store for me. I'm ready for them. He will show me what He wants when He knows that I'm ready.
[/quote]

Best way to go about it. :like2: Let God's will be done, not ours!

[quote name='FutureSister2009' timestamp='1323557818' post='2348726']

All you have to do is hit quote on the bottom right of the post you want to reply to
[/quote]

TYVM! Are you ready to unblock?

FutureSister2009

[quote name='DarleneSteinemann' timestamp='1323562059' post='2348760']

TYVM! Are you ready to unblock?
[/quote]

Yup I am :)

FutureCarmeliteClaire
:hijack: Sorry guys, but here it is.

Can I PLEASE become a nun? Like soon-ish? PLEASE??? Everyday I want it more and more and more... Not a day goes by where I don't wish I were already there, and I know a lot of you get that. I can't cope with the loud noise in the world any more. I feel like Jesus wants me as soon as I am able, but that is a long time away. I have been blessed to "know" at a young age, and I guess that comes with baggage. Hard baggage that involves patience and coping which sometimes seems impossible. I know that being in the religious life is super hard too, and has it's own set of challenges, but I would embrace that for the silence. The silence with God that I so much desire... Every day, every minute, every second. Any advice?

AccountDeleted

[quote name='FutureCarmeliteClaire' timestamp='1323572485' post='2348886']

Can I PLEASE become a nun? Like soon-ish? PLEASE??? Everyday I want it more and more and more... Not a day goes by where I don't wish I were already there, and I know a lot of you get that. I can't cope with the loud noise in the world any more. I feel like Jesus wants me as soon as I am able, but that is a long time away. I have been blessed to "know" at a young age, and I guess that comes with baggage. Hard baggage that involves patience and coping which sometimes seems impossible. I know that being in the religious life is super hard too, and has it's own set of challenges, but I would embrace that for the silence. The silence with God that I so much desire... Every day, every minute, every second. Any advice?
[/quote]

While you're waiting, work on Interior Silence. It doesn't sound like you have a lot of that right now.

Here is something written by DigitalDame (a phatmasser and Benedictine nun) that might apply to you.

[quote] I shall be spending much of today in London at various meetings. It will be all roar and rush and I’ll probably feel like the proverbial fish out of water. (The habit tends to attract some very odd types — the only people who don’t come anywhere near are usually wearing clerical collars!)

Is it possible to maintain an inner silence, a spirit of recollection, in such circumstances? My answer would be ‘yes’. Have all those years spent learning the discipline of silence perhaps begun to bear fruit? I now know that it is not exterior noise but the endless babble of interior thoughts and feelings that causes all the trouble. Cultivating interior silence isn’t easy, but I think it is necessary for both psychological and spiritual health.

This week scripture has been urging us to go out into the desert to seek Jesus. Today, however, romantic visions of a vast and starry sky, rock, sand and a luminous silence must give way to the reality of the modern desert, the urban landscape of concrete and steel, full of clamour and bustle. Is it possible to seek and find God here, among the fast-food outlets and the diesel fumes? Francis Thompson is not much read nowadays, but I cannot help recalling the concluding lines of his ‘Kingdom of God’:
[i]. . . lo, Christ walking on the water[/i]
[i]Not of Gennesareth, but Thames![/i]

[url="http://www.ibenedictines.org/2011/12/09/a-thought-for-friday/#comments"]http://www.ibenedict...riday/#comments[/url]
[/quote]

FutureSister2009

[quote name='FutureCarmeliteClaire' timestamp='1323572485' post='2348886']

[/quote]

My advice is to take each day as it comes. Think about not what God is calling you to in the future but what He's calling you to do TODAY. Live in the present moment. I was in the same boat as you just a short time ago. Now that I'm starting to really settle in to my time here at school, I've realized that it's all for the best. I get to do things I would have never done before. I met people I never would have if I had gone straight to the Convent without coming here first. I may have discerned right out of the Convent if I had gone. So I see God's plan slowly starting to unfold around me. If and when God decides to call me, I will be ready for it. But if He's got something else in mind for me, I will be ready for it too. I have really learned to let it all be in His time. People have been telling me that before but I never really listened to them. Now it's finally starting to click in my brain and it makes the most sense to me based on where I am in my Discernment right now. My dear friend Sr. Jessica told me on Thanksgiving day to just continue with my lessons and whatever God sends to me, accept it.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='FutureSister2009' timestamp='1323574135' post='2348914']

My advice is to take each day as it comes. Think about not what God is calling you to in the future but what He's calling you to do TODAY. Live in the present moment. I was in the same boat as you just a short time ago. Now that I'm starting to really settle in to my time here at school, I've realized that it's all for the best. I get to do things I would have never done before. I met people I never would have if I had gone straight to the Convent without coming here first. I may have discerned right out of the Convent if I had gone. So I see God's plan slowly starting to unfold around me. If and when God decides to call me, I will be ready for it. But if He's got something else in mind for me, I will be ready for it too. I have really learned to let it all be in His time. People have been telling me that before but I never really listened to them. Now it's finally starting to click in my brain and it makes the most sense to me based on where I am in my Discernment right now. My dear friend Sr. Jessica told me on Thanksgiving day to just continue with my lessons and whatever God sends to me, accept it.
[/quote]

Good advice. Sometimes we can hear something a hundred times and it just doesn't really sink in - and then one day we realise that we are finally starting to get what people have been telling us for ages!

Living in the present is one of the hardest things to do for any of us. There was even a book written in the 70s by a guy named Ram Dass called "Be Here Now" which tried to say this in a very 'Eastern meditation' type way. When I read it I realised that I was always living my life either in the past or the future and not in the here and now. Just because I saw that though, didn't mean that I could change my behaviour immediately. Time itself is the thing that teaches us patience (and oh yeah, God is in charge of time too! :P )

FutureCarmeliteClaire

Thank you, thank you. Yes, interior silence and present vocation, will definitely think about these things. Gratias.

FutureSister2009

Also enjoy your time with your friends and family. You want to go in a cloister so you will have limited time with them once you're there. You will hardly see them after you enter. In just the few short months I've been away from home, I've started to understand just how much my family really does mean to me. It took me 20 years to figure that out. They were always there and I took advantage of it

[quote name='FutureSister2009' timestamp='1323578326' post='2348956']
Also enjoy your time with your friends and family. You want to go in a cloister so you will have limited time with them once you're there. You will hardly see them after you enter. In just the few short months I've been away from home, I've started to understand just how much my family really does mean to me. It took me 20 years to figure that out. They were always there and I took advantage of it
[/quote]
I want to run and hug you FS! You are growing intoa beautiful butterfly and I could not be prouder of you!

FutureSister2009

[quote name='DarleneSteinemann' timestamp='1323585338' post='2349013']
I want to run and hug you FS! You are growing intoa beautiful butterfly and I could not be prouder of you!
[/quote]

Awww thank you! :saint2:

And this song may help you a little too. It's helped me out. It's a Disney song but when you really listen to it, you can hear the point of it.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw6q5189kpc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw6q5189kpc[/url]

Edited by FutureSister2009

FutureCarmeliteClaire

Thanks, I will listen to it soon. My Confirmation sponsor told me a lot of stuff that helped me today. She said that I have a cross to carry before I enter, and I am going to have to pick it up and carry it. She said that of those who are given much, much more is expected. And it is true, my constant longing to go to Jesus is something that I will have to be patient with. I said to her, "But I want it NOW, and I can't have it!" and she said, "God doesn't want you to have it just yet." And that opened some things up for me.

[quote name='FutureCarmeliteClaire' timestamp='1323631501' post='2349153']
Thanks, I will listen to it soon. My Confirmation sponsor told me a lot of stuff that helped me today. She said that I have a cross to carry before I enter, and I am going to have to pick it up and carry it. She said that of those who are given much, much more is expected. And it is true, my constant longing to go to Jesus is something that I will have to be patient with. I said to her, "But I want it NOW, and I can't have it!" and she said, "God doesn't want you to have it just yet." And that opened some things up for me.
[/quote]

A few months ago there was a documentary in the UK about two young women who wanted to be nuns. One of them had found this community and was all eager to join that fall but the community said to her to wait and apply again in six months time, to give her time to make sure her vocation was true. The girl was devastated but she said that she had never been very patient in her life so she took it as God teaching her to have patience. I thought that was a really beautiful way of looking at it, even though you can't have what you want right now you can still use the wait as a learning experience. It kind of inspired me as well because I often feel like if the community said I could join tomorrow then I'd be there in a heartbeat.

I also kind of think that having to wait is good because even when we enter our communities there will still be a lot of waiting, years of waiting, before we take our final profession. And in that time we might feel as we do now that "I want it NOW" but having had to wait now we may have gained the virtue of patience and deal with that later waiting much better.