An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Random Vocations Chat Type Of Thread

vee

AccountDeleted

[quote name='i<3franciscans' timestamp='1324039116' post='2352158']
Ugh. I wish it was that easy. Why is my pride getting in my way?!?!? I just don't know where to start with her. <_< :kiss:
[/quote]

I wish my mum was around to talk to. I don't know about your relationship with yours but this could be a really beautiful thing to share. I don't understand the pride involved. So what does it matter if she knew first or you knew first? God knew before either of you!

i<3franciscans

I know I feel like I am just being silly now... but just the whole "I told you so thing" is killing me and the fact that she will tell everyone. Everyone does not need to know yet. Discernment is too personal to share with the world... My mom yes, the world no.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='i<3franciscans' timestamp='1324041208' post='2352180']
I know I feel like I am just being silly now... but just the whole "I told you so thing" is killing me and the fact that she will tell everyone. Everyone does not need to know yet. Discernment is too personal to share with the world... My mom yes, the world no.
[/quote]

I don't remember how old you are but if you are still very young, which I assume you are, then why not wait for a year and see if you still feel the same way then. There is no rush after all, is there?

Ps- I remember Father Cantalamessa (preacher to the Pope) saying that when he decided to change directions in his vocation (to become a preacher instead of a teacher), his superior asked him to wait a year and pray about it, so he did. Patience is a virtue we could all practise more.

Edited by nunsense

i<3franciscans

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1324041435' post='2352184']

I don't remember how old you are but if you are still very young, which I assume you are, then why not wait for a year and see if you still feel the same way then. There is no rush after all, is there?
[/quote]
No there isn't but everyone keeps telling me that there is. It is nice that someone is seeing it from my point of view. :) *happy sigh* Thanks for chatting!

Edited by i<3franciscans

AccountDeleted

[quote name='i<3franciscans' timestamp='1324041531' post='2352185']
No there isn't but everyone keeps telling me that there is. It is nice that someone is seeing it from my point of view. :) *happy sigh* Thanks for chatting!
[/quote]

Whoever is telling you to rush is just being impatient - and this won't stand you in good stead when you enter the convent. Practise it now and it will get easier all through your life.

i<3franciscans

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1324041664' post='2352187']

Whoever is telling you to rush is just being impatient - and this won't stand you in good stead when you enter the convent. Practise it now and it will get easier all through your life.
[/quote]
:heart: Thanks so much nunsense.

[quote name='beatitude' timestamp='1323947360' post='2351577']
Why is this person reading your blog if he or she is so very hostile to the idea? Clearly they're a regular reader, and not just a drive-by commenter, because they came back for more. Maybe there is something in what you're writing that attracts them even though they can't understand it.

My advice would be to point out that Christians see the living Christ in every person - He is only intangible and invisible insofar as people are incapable of recognising the beauty and richness of ordinary life. Then thank the person for reading your blog and assure them of your prayers. Perhaps give them a few links (not too many - you don't want to overwhelm them!) to different communities of nuns so that they can see more about how sisters live their lives. I'd choose about three communities to share.
[/quote]

I know! I just can't understand why you'd want to keep reading something you feel that much disdain for. It's not even like my blog is particularly well-written or funny or anything, I basically just ramble about whatever I feel like talking about at the time. But if you think the religious life is stupid, why are you reading a blog specifically about becoming a nun?

I think that's a good idea, showing them the life of the communities. Considering I have three communities I want to visit, I'd say three is just the right number. :P

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1323946047' post='2351571']

Don't get defensive about it with others. Sometimes things are confronting for other people so they have to tear them down to stop the feeling in themselves and sometimes people just want to get a reaction out of another person. Your patience in explaining why you feel called to religious life and your persistence in maintaining your beliefs will either eventually help them to understand or they will go away. See it as another way to evangelise.
[/quote]

I know I have to be patient but I'm not by nature a patient person so it is a struggle. I've been tempted to turn of the anonymous comments but that just seems like sinking to their level. You are right about seeing it as a way to evangelise.

[quote name='i<3franciscans' timestamp='1323958287' post='2351624']
Okay so question.... I have been wanting to tell my mom for a while now that I am discerning religious life but if/when I do she will have this, "Dear, I told you so." kinda sweet motherly attitude. The thing with this is I have "known" way longer that her has. So what is my problem? Just pride or is this understandable? And one more thing, I don't want my parents to tell the world, but I don't see that not happening with college right around the corner. So any thoughts? Thanks! :)
[/quote]

Would she really tell everyone if you specifically asked her not to? If you were clear that you weren't ready for it to be shared with everyone.

But maybe your apprehension is just a sign that now isn't the right time to be telling her about this. Share it when you're ready.

[quote name='Lil'Monster' timestamp='1324101304' post='2352663']
Why cant God just flat out and tell me what is my vocation?
[/quote]

Because discerning His will is a beautiful adventure, and one that is supposed to bring your heart closer to His. If *poof* you just knew, then you wouldn't spend nearly as much time in prayer about it, would you?

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1324133366' post='2352780']
Because discerning His will is a beautiful adventure, and one that is supposed to bring your heart closer to His. If *poof* you just knew, then you wouldn't spend nearly as much time in prayer about it, would you?
[/quote]

Very wise Lisa. I'm going to email you soon.

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1324134699' post='2352782']
Very wise Lisa. I'm going to email you soon.
[/quote]

Look forward to your email, I was just wondering how things are going for you.

Lil'Monster,
Ahem,.... here comes a word from the wise old wife, mother, and grandmother. (drum roll, please)
I seem to hear you protesting so much about not entering religious life. Sometimes those who protest the most are the ones who really know deep inside (the supernatural), but can't accept it on the outside (the natural). Calm yourself down, don't be hard on yourself, surrender to the will of God in your life as you perceive it now, and then ask God to either confirm it or show you what He's got in store for you. It's not something you can make a check-list about e.g. the pros vs. the cons of religious or married or single life. That's simply the wrong way to go about it. No human person can give you the answer, it comes from on high. Then it's up to you to accept it or reject it. Be open to new thoughts, ideas and for heavens sake, don't beat yourself up about now knowing. You'll know in God's timing.

Edited by Francis Clare

FutureSister2009

I really do agree with Lil Monster. I've been feeling that way lately. But everything you guys have said is true. I am trying to enjoy the adventure as it comes. It's still frustrating though

mysisterisalittlesister

the other day, i was at a Protistant group and they kept on making fun of nuns, so I said "my sister's a nun." there was intense silence... :lol4:

it was amesome!